Welcome Nathan Eccleston

mhs

The key difference between Nathan Eccleston and Lyle Taylor is that the latter had at least proven himself in the First Division with Falkirk, scoring nearly 30 goals in one season at that level. He also played a reasonable number of games (mostly as sub to be fair) and scored a couple of goals in League One in England immediately before coming to Firhill last season. Compare that to Eccleston who has went from a youth team player at Liverpool to making just a handful of appearances and one goal in the last two seasons. Besides, you only need to look at our experience with Henoc Mukendi to know that being part of the youth set up at Liverpool is not necessarily an indication that a player is any good.

Hopefully he's ready to knuckle down and grab his chance at a professional career at whatever level he can and maybe win himself a move back down to the English Leagues. But I certainly don't think Eccelston is a sign of a step up in quality of player we are able to attract. He might turn out to be a good signing, but he's a complete gamble.

Good luck to him though :lol:

Oh and agree with the positive thing about him signing being that we will no longer see Stevenson playing up front. Doolan and Eccleston for the strikers role please. :thumbsup2:

Although he has played a few games for Liverpool in Europe and the Premiership, I believe.

Surely the U20s team plays using the same formation as the first team?

Would seem silly for them to be 442 when the big boys are 351?

They always mirror the first team. If there's any confusion Duggan was playing in a more withdrawn role to allow Eccleston to spearhead the attack. Chris may not be particularly suited to that role even with two goals from open play.

I've seen McDaid having to fill in at right back and Keenan playing a deep centre mid, Leyden play as an out and out striker. The constant being that players have to play out of position to ensure the formation mirrors the first team as much as possible.

They always mirror the first team. If there's any confusion Duggan was playing in a more withdrawn role to allow Eccleston to spearhead the attack. Chris may not be particularly suited to that role even with two goals from open play.

I've seen McDaid having to fill in at right back and Keenan playing a deep centre mid, Leyden play as an out and out striker. The constant being that players have to play out of position to ensure the formation mirrors the first team as much as possible.

I believe something like that happens with Dutch youth teams (though more accidental with us to cover for injured players) as it gives experience of different positions and a better understanding of the game as a whole. Not to mention giving them confidence in being able to play out of position when forced to.

Does Eccleston look like he could play in either of the wide positions, or purely as down the middle striker? Would be good to have another option who could play on the right of the three.

I don't think you'll get an answer to that as he wasn't match fit and didn't exactly stretch himself. Said before he looked like he could be reasonably two footed.

Does Eccleston look like he could play in either of the wide positions, or purely as down the middle striker? Would be good to have another option who could play on the right of the three.

He dropped wide on a few occasions throughout the game but I reckon that was more down to tiredness than anything else. Looks like a player who would get lost on the wing and his greatest asset which appears to be his pace would probably be better utilised through the middle.

Although he has played a few games for Liverpool in Europe and the Premiership, I believe.

Point is we're signing a player who has went drastically downhill from Liverpool to only playing a handful of games in the past two years compared with signing Taylor whose career was on the up, going from playing a handful of games to playing regularly and scoring a few goals in the year and a half before we signed him. Not having a go at Eccleston I just don't think people should expect too much from him. Fact is, we've just signed a striker who has scored six goals in his entire career to date, lets not get our hopes up eh? Or at very least, expect him to take a while to get fully fit and able to show what he might be capable of.

Edited by soulful_jag