Mcfadden

thornwoodjag

The chairman said in an STV interview that he would ensure we had the funds to bring in a better calibre of player.

Marketability is key here. McFadden is not done. We will probably get him for half the price now than we would have if we steamed right in and offered him a deal.

He is at the stage now where he is desperate to play. That article he did in the Sunday mail reeked of desperation. Saying his missus basically wants him out and getting a job. He mentioned money specifically not being an issue to him.

I say we go for it. It's a gamble. But it's an opportunity. Motherwell seemed to just feel that McFadden had done all he could for the club. There is no doubt he pushed that team forward in his first season back. Where we are right now we need a player like him. I also think having him in the team might benefit Stevenson in a peculiar way. I can see them linking up together really well. An absolute dream for us.

• Like 3

^^^^^^^^^^^

Got to agree with this.

I'm really surprised at how dismissive some people are of McFadden's ability or how certain they are that he is finished. OK, so he's not where he was five years ago or else he would still be playing at a decent level in England but I believe that it is worth taking the risk on him. Who knows what could happen? I think he would be made for us and vice versa. He can score and create goals out of nothing and if his signing gains us another five or six points it could be worth double what we pay him throughout the season. Motherwell got rid of him to take him off the wage bill and wouldn't play him through the middle as he would have liked, not because he was finished

He is only 31. He has had some bad injuries but he has looked after himself fairly well. I don't think he is done. I think he still has a huge amount to offer. Unless he signs we will never know though.

He is the type of player that people would want to go and see, similar to McQuade, Charnley and Erskine. Only difference is McFadden has 48 caps for Scotland, the others don't.

If we have the chance I think we should sign him. Please.

• Like 2

For me it is a no brainer all you have to do is ask yourself this 20 mins to go 1 down and needing someone to turn the game lets look at the subs bench.... Elliot, Craigen, Muirhead or ........McFadden now really ask yourself hand on heart who do you have the most confidence in to turn the game

Elliott everytime
  • Like 1

I'd like to see McFadden in a a Thistle jersey but...

Why hasn't he been snapped up by anyone up to now? Guy with his experience & talent surely would've found a club just now.

As for us signing him, surely it's a no brainer for him & the club (mainly BoD) to sign for 3 months. If he turns out to be a dud then we tried, if he's chased by a number of clubs because of his performances for us then at least he's done us a turn & propelled us (you'd think) up the table.

I'm disappointed that we seem to have 'spent' our budget. I'm sure guys like Ecclestone, Carroll & Seabourne aren't cheap coming from down South but Seabourne proving inj prone, Carroll I've yet to be convinced with & Ecclestone isn't fit & has a poor scoring record.

Personally I'd rather have seen money spent on McFadden than Ecclestone

• Like 1

I'm disappointed that we seem to have 'spent' our budget. I'm sure guys like Ecclestone, Carroll & Seabourne aren't cheap coming from down South but Seabourne proving inj prone, Carroll I've yet to be convinced with & Ecclestone isn't fit & has a poor scoring record.

Personally I'd rather have seen money spent on McFadden than Ecclestone

Yes Seabourne is like chocolate. Imagine a player tweaking a hamstring and turning an ankle in training. Carroll is a loan player and likely we're only playing a fraction of his wage. Eccleston isn't match fit as he hasn't played any matches pre season as of course neither has.McFadden.

Yes Seabourne is like chocolate. Imagine a player tweaking a hamstring and turning an ankle in training. Carrogll is a loan player and likely we're only playing a fraction of his wage. Eccleston isn't match fit as he hasn't played any matches pre season as of course neither has.McFadden.

I agree, Seabourne is a dud!

Stevenson is finished and he's 30.

Don't think you can compare Ryan Stevenson with James McFadden.

From what I can see Stevenson is with us for one last pay day, really don't think he would ever dream of training week after week, for no money? Mcfadden is in a totally different class to Stevenson, always has been and always will be.

Ok Mr Beattie. Over to you and the BoD to show us there is an increased playing budget. With the signings made in the summer, I find it hard to believe that there is no money left. And if it has gone, well it doesn't seem that the budget was increased that much unless someone has agreed ridiculously generous terms with new players.