Fredric Frans

The Cup

Doesnt appear to be a link to this story in todays Sunday Mail, but big Freddie is making it clear that if he has his way, he wont be here after January. Article reads

Cocky Belgian defender Frederic Frans claims Partick Thistle are just a stepping stone on to bigger and better things

The 25 year old penned a 3 month contract until January after being freed by Lierse.

The former U/20 Belgian international claims Alan Archibald offered him a longer contract, but he has no interest in sticking around.

Frans said "I was surprised that no other club in Belgium wanted me. As a result I began looking at foreign clubs and Partick Thistle came in for me. I asked them myself for a contract that just ran to January. That way I will get the chance to put myself in the shop window and to see what else there is for me"

Frans had been with the Jupiter League outfit since the age of 6 turning out over 100 times.

Now I think most of us realised that this was the case the minute he only signed for three months, but not exactly the way to get fans on your side especially if for example he causes a goal or two next week in what is a very important game. Perhaps would have been better if he had kept his mouth shut and let his football do the talking!

Nothing wrong with being confident in your ability, but probably better showing it on the pitch, then doing your talking. I think the very fact that another Belgian team didn't make him an offer has annoyed him. He certainly doesnt seems to lack confidence, but knowing our fans and after his statement today, if he doesnt hit the ground running, his 3 months at Firhill might feel like 3 years!!

Edited by Lindau

Really wanted frans first game to partnering seabourne in defence and not balatoni. Doesnt matter how good a player you are, your first game for a new club, especially at CB, is going to be difficult and have seabourne there would be a huge help with his organisation skills. Balatoni needs to concentrate so hard on his own game, I think it may be hard to form a partnership with someone new.

Like someone else has said, these comments dont really help his case if he were to get off to a bad start, which hopefully wont be the case.

If he is all that he is cracked up to be, albeit perhaps only in his own mind, then the next 4 games - St Johnstone at home, C'tic away, Hamilton away and St Mirren away - will be an ideal opportunity for him to over-shadow everyone in red/yellow and prove that he is indeed a class above this level. These 4 games are self-evidently challenging but also present an opportunity to perhaps kick-on.

At the moment perhaps what is expected, without the benefit of any concrete evidence, is that he is better then Balatoni and (possibly) at least on a par with, or noticeably better than, Seabourne - we shall see.

• Members

That's not how he came across when interviewed on the official site. I think I'd rather trust what he says when interviewed personally 'live' than what a journo from the Sunday Mail says. The journo has probably seen the interview and put his slant on it. It wouldn't be the first time something has been taken and embellished out of context by this publication would it?

• Like 1

Have to agree with Willjag. It seems Frans is happy here and wants a contract in January but clearly in 1,2 years time, whatever, he is thinking about a bigger move. In theory making us a stepping stone - which is what I hope all our players consider us. If we have anyone who doesn't want to play at a higher level, then I'd be worried.

If he wants a big move he will have to be sensational for us so either way, I'm happy.

EDIT: will Seaborne be available for the Celtic game? and will Frans be qualified to play I assume? Could be their first game together.

Edited by read'n'yell

• Members

I think I'm right in saying Jackie McNamarra introduced this as a way of getting better standard players to sign for us. Come and play regularly with a good football playing side like Partick Thistle and get yourself noticed by a bigger Club. If we can get one or two years of guys like Higgy playing for us before moving onto bigger things like ATS, Erskine and Paton, then great.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with being confident in your ability, but probably better showing it on the pitch, then doing your talking. I think the very fact that another Belgian team didn't make him an offer has annoyed him. He certainly doesnt seems to lack confidence, but knowing our fans and after his statement today, if he doesnt hit the ground running, his 3 months at Firhill might feel like 3 years!!

I wouldn't read too much into this.

The Belgians are like the Dutch - they speak their mind openly. See Ronald de Boer this week re Guus Hiddink for a prime example.

In our society, you've got to walk the talk. So Fred has the chance he wanted next weekend due to Airborne's red card yesterday.

Over to you Fred.

Agree with what most are saying but if it's true that he insisted on a 3 month contract think it's pretty clear that he wants to impress and move on in January. If that materialises hopefully BRE will be ready to step in.

Edited by Lindau

Mair, Erskine, Bauben, Taylor all came in on short term deals and provided significant contributions to the cause last year.

All we know for certain is we have this guy for about 10 games and therefore he could make a major difference to the season.

Decent experience at club and national levels, and must be reasonably well known in his home land. At 25 you can't blame him for trying to maximise his income. He's been a one club player so fair play to him for trying something different.

If his intentions are self promotion and using the jags as a shop window, it might be worthwhile pointing out to him that there was allegedly 20 scouts from English clubs in attendence at the Hamilton v Aberdeen match last week and putting the effort in for us might very well provide him the opportunities he seeks.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

The big guy is totally unsuited for Scottish football.....spent the whole game passing the ball on the ground, on the ground mind you , for 10-15 yards to a team mate, refused to play long passes and not once did he lump an aimless long punt up the park....hopefully the management team get him sorted out pronto.....clearly needs to watch Muirhead in training

Seabourne and Frans anyone?

• Like 2