Personal Greatest Performance As A Supporter

The Devil's Point

Been some great one's in recent years with folk coming from all over the world for the Challenge Cup Final and so on, but when did you really have to suffer to get to the game?

Reckon my best one was coming out of the Western Infirmary on the Saturday morning during one of the Lambie promotion seasons to get collected by my dad. He was there to take me back to my flat, but I made him take me to Airdrie instead for the 1-1 game in whatever season it was. I was made to go in the main stand by the stewards because I was on crutches (nothing serious, or long-term), but after a few well placed offensive remarks, I quickly got myself told to move into the away end. Then had to hobble along the touchline to our end to hoots of derision from my pals, amidst a lot of pain.

Funnily enough, my dad didn't really ever go to games much then, but he does now.

To be honest I think we suffer most games lol !! thought I would get that monkey dealt with early.

My worst was returning from Florida, getting into Glasgow 6.30ish and then thinking I was Superman and did not need any sleep.

Was fine until just after the start of the 2nd half and my lack of sleep kicked in big time.

Anyone who has done this will know where I am on this, Not a good feeling !

Raith Rovers game just before Christmas a few seasons back. I was at the Daft Friday ball at the University Union the night before and stumbled out of the Beer Bar at 7:50am, got a bus from across the road to what I thought was going to get me back to Jordanhill but the ******* terminated at Broomhill, so I walked about a mile in my black tie kilted regalia, stumbled into bed for a few hours, woke up at about 1pm, changed into normal clothes, hauled a suitcase full of all my stuff to Firhill on a number 6 bus, stored it in the portacabin, watched us win 3-2, retrieved my luggage, got the 5:40 train to Aberdeen for Christmas and then crashed out, probably still not sober, as soon as I got in the door.

• Like 1

I'd hate to see film of it! Thankfully it was before the days of CCTV :thumbsup:

I was at that game. A whole bunch of Jags fans cars got badly wasted by Airdrie fans in a back lane near the ground. Mine was one of the next to get it but was saved when some locals went out their back doors and chased the fcukers.

Don't remember the Devils Point going limp during the game - only remember Owen Coyle scored for them.

Edited by thebiglemon

Ayr away on the first day of the season 4/5 years ago. Was at a wedding at Loch Lomond as the best man on the Friday , ended up spending the night with one of the bridesmaids who was staying there , had to get up at 7, taxi back to my digs in Drymen , bus to Glasgow, 10am train to ayr, absolutely burst before the game, gave in shortly afterwards.

Slept for about 17 hours that evening.

The long and winding road up north on the supporters' bus to play Deveronvale in the Scottish Cup suited my hangover and sickness no end.

Oh come on, that was fun! I had to stay overnight afterwards.

Remember that girl that came on to forum from their fans (who later turned out to be banned from their club or whatever it was).

Well my brother and I were with them pretty much all the the time after the match because they were a good laugh and really nice people.

Never forget their looks of disappointement when we announced we were off back to our B and B.

Great trip that. Thinking of heading back up there actually as I am currently looking for a wife.

I've had a few nightshifts then going to game the next day.

2 most memorable I suppose were the Blyth Spartans friendly few years ago, I was nightshift Wed Thur Fri, finished 745am Saturday morning, home for a shower, 9 o clock train down to blyth, drinking all day, train delayed on way home, didnt get home until about 1am or somethin, I got to my bed about 1.45am Sunday morning after getting up Friday afternoon about 4pm so was a good shift I put in!

Other one was coming home from nightshift again, watched a bit of tv, then decided to go to my bed about say 0930-10ish. my brother came in and asked if i wanted to go to game, I said no, couldn't be arsed, it was winter time and we were away to Ross County. Anyways he managed to convince me, I went for a shower, got in car with him, went up to dingwall and saw the jags win 5-2 or 5-3 cant mind the score. I remember the jags scorers as McConologue (2) Brown Ferguson, Paddy Keogh, and Mark Roberts!

Arrived back from Japan the morning of a Scottish Cup game against Ayr several years ago. Dumped my suitcase at home, then straight onto a train for the match. Hadn't slept for about 36 hours, and don't remember much about the game except the brilliant Jags support, the fact that we lost 2-0, and being miffed at half time when they introduced a fan who had "certainly come from farthest away for today's game"... from Malaysia. Aye, well, add another 6 hours to the flight then you'll arrive in Japan!

No quite flying in from Japan or Malaysia, but Aberdeen away last season on the Monday night was hard going for me.

I was up at half four on the morning of the game for work and when my shift was coming to an end at 15:00, I made a last minute decision to drive up myself.

Straight home from work, quick shower, changed and away I went. I got held up for a bit just outside of Perth as the Police were carrying out winter tyre checks and I got stuck in rush hour traffic for about an hour on the outskirts of Aberdeen but still managed to make the kick off. Watched us get pumped 4-0 and tried my best not to fall asleep at the wheel on the A90 down the road. I had to stop off in Dundee for an hour to try and get myself together because I was so tired. Never again.

Back when Airdrie Ground shared with Clyde at Broadwood we had a mid Week game against Airdrie

Me being my usual self dashed Home from work late quick change- jump in Car- mad dash to Broadwood (late for KO ) resplendent in bright R&Y Jags scarf.

Arrive at Stadium - away stand shut - bugger I thinks - Crowd must be poor so only opened Home Stand and segragating - runs round to Main Stand at Broadwood - pays in at turnstyle

Rush into Stadium and out to find a Seat - and then it happened -about 700 Clyde Fans all sat staring at me - not looking pleased that a Jags Fan was in there end with a very bright R&Y Scarf

You see the problem was I had got the fixture date mixed up - we werent playing Airdrie until the following Night - I had walked into the Clyde End when they were playing Forfar

So my dedication to the Jags was so great I even turned up at a Clyde v Forfar Game to see them play :fan:

• Like 4

Xmas Eve 1988 - Falkirk at the old Brock-vile, they were top of league we were not (I think second bottom), albeit we had the noisier and more enthusiastic support.

Fairly uneventful game until 9 mins from end Pat Kelly screamer into top corner (Gordon Marshall made to look a little foolish), joy!! However, as I say, up until that it had been fairly mediocre - which was, as it turned out, a good thing for me.

The scoring of the goal, of course, elicited much joy and excitement but 6 weeks earlier I had been in hospital for an operation to repair a congenital heart defect (see Asa Hartford for those of you old enough), and the consequence of Pat's goal was a noticeable acceleration of heart-rate.

Whilst i wasn't in the least bit concerned for my physical well-being (the operation was a complete success and I was a (relatively) young man) I have never been so aware of a thumping heart-beat and I was both relieved and happy when 10 mins later the final whistle blew. A great relief, not only for the result but also that my stress levels and heart rate might return to normal.

Crackin thread this.

There have been several occasions when I have certainly been in no fit state to attend a game. A certain trip to Dumfries stands out where I think one of my mates actually stopped the train doors from closing so that I could make the train. He also bought me a ticket and kerry oot in advance.

Also one that stands out when I was younger. Used to get the North West Bus from Anniesland. This particular day we were away to Stranraer in 2001 having already clinched promotion and the league title. So it was a meaningless game really. We got on the train at Hyndland intending to get off at Anniesland, but we realised we'd got on the wrong train shortly after it left Hyndland Station. No matter, we thought. Jump off at Jordanhill and we'd have plenty of time to walk up to Anniesland from there. Only the train didn't stop at Jordanhill, or Scotstounhill, or Garscadden, or Yoker. It was an express train that went directly to Dalmuir. We had definitely missed the bus. But we remembered that they also picked up from Maryhill CC halls 15 mins later. Jumped on a train back to Hyndland, my mate's dad picked us up and roared us up to Maryhill, skipping a few red lights in the process and breaking the speed limit on several ocassions. We got to the bus just as it was pulling out to depart and our car physically stopped it from doing so. The driver was not the usual jags friendly one and was not best pleased - he actually didn't want to let us on initially. Thankfully we did get on and headed down to Stranraer. Friends uncle was David Farrell who was playing for them at the time. Gave us a couple of comps which was nice of him. We were 3-1 down at half time - Paul Walker destroyed us - but came back to win 4-3. Don't think we missed any away games that season.

A boring one from long, long ago.

My pals and I decided we'd go night fishing for sea trout on the Endrick on the Friday night, and like good Scouts we put up our tents and fished it.

But by about seven in the morning we were shattered and packed up, headed back to Crofthamie for the bus.

And then the choice between bed and Firhill. Actually the only time I genuinely fell asleep on the terraces (now bing).

Back when Airdrie Ground shared with Clyde at Broadwood we had a mid Week game against Airdrie

Me being my usual self dashed Home from work late quick change- jump in Car- mad dash to Broadwood (late for KO ) resplendent in bright R&Y Jags scarf.

Arrive at Stadium - away stand shut - bugger I thinks - Crowd must be poor so only opened Home Stand and segragating - runs round to Main Stand at Broadwood - pays in at turnstyle

Rush into Stadium and out to find a Seat - and then it happened -about 700 Clyde Fans all sat staring at me - not looking pleased that a Jags Fan was in there end with a very bright R&Y Scarf

You see the problem was I had got the fixture date mixed up - we werent playing Airdrie until the following Night - I had walked into the Clyde End when they were playing Forfar

So my dedication to the Jags was so great I even turned up at a Clyde v Forfar Game to see them play :fan:

:lol::clapping:

Friends uncle was David Farrell who was playing for them at the time. Gave us a couple of comps which was nice of him.

by way of sheer coincidence http://www.scotzine....arrell-guests/?

and I suppose also coincidental, tho' I've sacrificed many a hangover over the years going to watch the Jags, it's been Scotland games (at Wembley tho') that have required exceptional performances in attending. Can only put it down to an acquired ability to work out logistics while under the severe pressure of losing a billion braincells thru one tipple too many. The wonders of being at the match, minding most of the game afterwards, but not having a clue how you got there is rather mystifying.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

:D :D :D :D

Back when Rangers were Rangers our wee department at work (h*ns to a man - except me obviously) were taken to Ibrox by our Managing Director (also a H*n) for a Thistle game and "treated" to hospitality, but were seated with the Rangers fans in whatever stand it was. The game was more or less even, perhaps they were just shading it, when Thistle mounted an particularly dangerous attack. The ball was played through the Rangers defence for our forward to run on to (can't even remember who it was), and it turned into a race between him and Goram to get to the ball first. Well, Goram just got there and no more and swiped the ball off our man's toes for a throw-in. During the time it took for this to happen, I had managed to get myself so worked up that I forgot where I was an who I was with, and found myself out of my seat, screaming at the top of my lungs - "you fckn windy fat BSTRD Goram...!!!!!". Needless to say, this didn't go down too well with many in the immediate vicinity and certainly not with my MD. I got some very scary looks from a lot of very scary people and our half-time refreshment when we went back inside was spent in a fairly uncomfortable silence. And guess what ? Our department never got invited back to Ibrox again..!!!

As a young lad, I managed to convince my doctor at the Woodside Health Centre to allow my dad to take me to the game that day, instead of following orders and going straight in to Yorkhill to treat my internal bleeding from an ulcer. Priorities. Down side was I missed the next couple of games due to being acutely anaemic.

Final game of last season. After only making it to four matches last season I was determined to partake in the survival celebration after listening to the game vs Hearts on the radio. I had already made plans to visit the in laws in Stoke for the weekend, so following consultation on this very forum, and an offer from a certain forum member living in Blackpool, I was to picked up from the tickled trout service station on the M6 at stupid o'clock in the morning. Made some new friends in the pub pre and post match before heading back down south.

The game itself, I was certain would be the first victory i had seen in person that season but it wasn't to be. You'll all be grateful that I haven't made a single game this season yet.

• Like 1