Just In Vs. Aberdeen

Stewarty

Overall, from the perspective of an armchair spectator for a change the verdict is not very good. I could have predicted that powder puff performance against Aberdeen, before a ball had been kicked, it was anything but an entertaining spectacle, which will do nothing to encourage stay-away Jags to return.

As I've already said although the performance was disappointing, it was unfortunately anything but a surprise. The only plus point that can be taken from the game was that once again I feel the defence looked reasonably solid and we never looked likely to be on the wrong side of a hammering. The downside, has been obvious for a couple of years now I.e. ther's absolutely no goal threat.

So as usual I guess the most that we can reasonably expect is to hopefully bump along the bottom of the table, hopefully without touching the bottom!

Correct decision, it does not need to be intentional for it to be a free kick. I thought he was going to caution him for it.

Collum had a shocker but It is not unique though, the standard is poor all over. Did anyone catch Craig Thompson in the Hearts v The Rangers game? The refs seem to believe it is all about them.

I think tho' the likes of Thomson & Collum are in a class of their own in the "look folks, it's me" stakes. I know he's also to be dreaded but even the likes of Bobby Madden has a rapport with players as indeed do many other refs. With Thomson & Collum it's all about confrontation. I won't go so far as to say they go looking for it but you get the feeling they welcome it.

Much as I'm sure Collum loves being the centre of attraction maybe even he is just a bit embarrassed when both sets of fans are chanting he's a ****** at the same time. Then again he's so much "previous" to be embarrassed about.

It just amazes me how he is still a referee in the top flight. Is there any other profession that acknowledge and allow such incompetence performances on a regular basis.

I usually stick up for refs but in his case its beyond wonder.

He refereed Austria v Brazil last week in a friendly. Gave Austria a penalty but it was the correct decision. He added nearly 6 mins injury time though, even though the 4th official said 3!!

A couple of short points from this armchair viewer of yesterday's game:

• I can't agree with the notion that we were hard done with the offside decision; in all honesty, I think Gallacher has made a bit of a hash of it. For one reason or another, he seems to have delayed his reaction - whether that was because he couldn't see or he was waiting on Goodwillie reacting (which would have automatically made him offside in any case), I don't know. The ball is at a relatively decent height and isn't travelling at any great pace and if he wasn't claiming offside, I reckon he easily catches that ball. Perhaps a bit harsh on Gall who I thought was Man of the Match and once again proved that he's the best goalkeeper at the club.

I think Gallacher could have done a bit better with the ball, but he can't move across to deal with it until it's past Goodwillie. He was criticised in the other thread I think for not playing to the whistle, but playing to the whistle is exactly what he was doing, he can't move across to deal with the ball easily until he's sure Goodwillie isn't going to touch it, he can't rely on the linesman getting the decision right (even if it was clear cut). Even under the new interpretation of the law I think there was sufficient movement from Goodwillie to constitute offside and we were unlucky.

Agree with the above point that Fraser was clearly not ready for 90 minutes, he was gubbed after one sprint early on in the second half supporting someone (Lawless?) but he is so important to our play that even half fit yesterday he improved the team. His long range passing was excellent and we need that to break up the predictability of a lot of our play.

I think yesterday may be the last time for a while that we see Craigen and Elliott both starting together, against a team like Aberdeen they just don't offer enough ability to hold the ball up in the final third of the pitch or any genuine attacking threat. Coupled with Doolan getting little change from the giant centre halves and Lawless being tiny, we were really struggling to maintain any meaningful possession in the final third.

Finally, I think Aberdeen are a better team than people are making out. Once they go ahead they are hard to break down, strong physically and retain the ball well. They will finish second in the league this season I reckon and certainly weren't 'there for the taking.' I still think we weren't great, although we improved in the second half and could have snuck a point, but I don't think we should be too disheartened by that performance. This side really should have enough to stay clear of the bottom two.

• Like 1

Depends to me which way you look at it. If you have to pick a winner then Aberdeen were clearly better than us. But well organised or not they could easily have lost that game 2-1. I don't think the Dons can take any credit for for Craigen's and Bannigan's ineptitude in front of goal. They also owed more than a bit to fortune in both gaining the penalty and how it came about.

That's not sour grapes. Aberdeen will know it themselves that they were fortunate to take all three points against inferior opposition.

Through rose tinted glasses, perhaps? M'Lady I concede that we missed 2 sitters that we might have expected the most inept of player to at least hit the target with but with those glasses on you clearly missed the fact that Aberdeen had a goal chocked off that we would not have been happy about if we had been denied it at Pittodrie. Gall had 7 saves to make (3 of them world class) while Brown could have turned out in oven mitts with no saves required for the full 90 minutes. At 6-11 Aberdeen had nearly twice as many shots on goal, twice as many corners 3-6 (BBC stats).

But I hear where you're coming from, IF those 2 attempts had been on target and if Brown hadn't got to them and if Willie Collum wasn't a w****r then my uncle might just be my auntie.

I don't often disagree with your opinion LIB but on this occasion we must have been watching different games.

Disagree with a lot of what has been said about this game on here. As ever this forum is far too negative.

Aberdeen will almost certainly finish in the top 3 this year. Good side who have plenty of attacking options and strong defensively.

The game was lost to a rather unfortunate penalty from our view. Osman for the second time giving away a penalty with hand ball. We were deserving of a point in my view and you have to consider our two big creative players, Higgy and Frazer were only fit to take a place on the bench.

Can’t believe people are saying Elliot was poor, for me he played well and is growing in confidence.

Been a little disappointed with James Craigen, thought a run in the side would have brought a better run of form from him. He did score against Hamilton but he continues to miss decent chances. For him to establish himself as a top league player he needs to start taking these chances.

Big Seaborne was man of the match for me, lead the back line well. He is not the perfect center back, rash at times and although he wins nearly everything in the air his timing of the headers is not great. However he would get a game for most teams in this league. Big Frans also had a good game but again he looked heavy legged in the last 20 or 30 mins. Hopefully more match time will sort this out.

Gallagher had a good game for us and would be my choice for our number 1. That said a lot of criticism of Fox has been over the top just feel Gallagher is more confident.

Edited to add Stevenson at last looked like the player he was for Hearts. Think this time of the year when parks are heavy will also suit him. lets hope he continues to improve.

Edited by Alan Murray
  • Like 1