Just In

clarencegarter

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a solid performance today against Dundee today, in my opinion, if we play like this in every game , we will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season, what do you think folks?

I thought were awful in the first half hour...after that though... we got a bit better and ended up playing some nice football AND winning! :shocked:

Was very worried about maxi starting and there were one or two scary moments, but overall he was fantastic today...the whole team put in a shift and I was delighted with Paddy Boyle and with the encouragment he got from the JHS. Flannigan looks like a real gem, Cairney was full of running and got stuck in (towards the end he ran for a loose ball that was between 2 Dundee players, both their players shat it and the wee man won the ball and played a good ball forward...quality). Harkins moaned about the chanting from us at the 1st game at Dens, well Captain Fantastic I'm sure you'll agree that that was nothing compared to what you got at the end of the match today GIRUY :D

Well done to McCall too for getting the tactics spot on, Buchanan needs a goal but his workrate was certainly not in question today, just a great team performance and Im delighted :thumbsup::fan::drink:

Edited by Steven H

Extremely pleased with that performance. Only Buchanan's finishing and Maxwell's first-half pension book being the causes for concern.

Boyle was (by First Division standards) extremely excellent. Absolutely delighted that he got on the scoresheet. Special mention to Halliwell's world class reaction to the goal!

Paton used his left foot THREE times and it was good 2 times! I think I might faint!

Robbo was solid and Conrad totally played McMenamin out of the game. Between Boyle and Flannigan the dangerous pace of Griffiths was totally rendered null and void bar one time in the first half when the counter-attacking delivery to Griffiths wasn't good enough.

Paton and Cairney totally nullified Harkins, Rowson made life difficult for Adams, and Grehan, whilst not particularly brilliatnt, made things really generically awkward for the Dundee midfield and defence. Buchanan needs to sharpen up on his shooting and isn't quite anticipating Grehan's movement well enough yet, but I hope that comes with time.

Rowson was his usual nutjob terrier.

We can be really pleased with today. Not merely because of a pleasing result but because of some genuine application, grit and playing for the jersey.

Boyle is a totally different player when leeching off a bit of confidence. I think McCall might just be right. Between him and Flannigan, Dundee just couldn't cope at all. Flannigan's directness in comparison with the rest of the team's patient creativeness totally confused them, and I think we have a formidable left flank pairing in the making.

Delighted.

Anyone else notice Harkins stomping off and pushing Robbo out the way when he went to shake his hand? He really does seem to go in a major huff when we give him a bit of a slagging. I think he really does feel upset when we have a go. Maybe he wants to come back. But would we take him back?

We've raised our concerns about Boyle in the past that were reflected in McCall telling him to find a new club. That must have been a huge psychological blow to Paddy. Yet, today and by others' reports on the Berwick game, he has delivered. That take guts and bottle! Today's goal and the MOTM award will boost his confidence. Last season is history and we must get behind him and hope that, after all McCall's hype, he can be better than Twaddle. 5-3-2 (or 3-5-2) may suit him and our limited squad well. Nice one, Paddy! :thumbsup2:

Last week's result was a huge blow but McCall (through his selection) and the team came good today. If Grehan and Doolan can gain similar confidence to Boyle, our concerns could be replaced by optimism. We cannot rely on Buchanan who will thrive if others can attract defenders' attention.

So I raise a glass tonight to toast Paddy, and all our players (especially our youngsters), in the hope that we can challenge for the title and promotion this season. Today was a good start!

We've raised our concerns about Boyle in the past that were reflected in McCall telling him to find a new club. That must have been a huge psychological blow to Paddy. Yet, today and by others' reports on the Berwick game, he has delivered. That take guts and bottle! Today's goal and the MOTM award will boost his confidence. Last season is history and we must get behind him and hope that, after all McCall's hype, he can be better than Twaddle. 5-3-2 (or 3-5-2) may suit him and our limited squad well. Nice one, Paddy! :thumbsup2:

Last week's result was a huge blow but McCall (through his selection) and the team came good today. If Grehan and Doolan can gain similar confidence to Boyle, our concerns could be replaced by optimism. We cannot rely on Buchanan who will thrive if others can attract defenders' attention.

So I raise a glass tonight to toast Paddy, and all our players (especially our youngsters), in the hope that we can challenge for the title and promotion this season. Today was a good start!

I think Boyle has been our best player so far. And as you have said that takes guts after a poor season last year

Anyone else notice Harkins stomping off and pushing Robbo out the way when he went to shake his hand? He really does seem to go in a major huff when we give him a bit of a slagging. I think he really does feel upset when we have a go. Maybe he wants to come back. But would we take him back?

NO!

We could not afford his wages after signing a 3 year contract last season. Dundee will be writing off his transfer fee, £150k, over three years. To let him go would mean that the difference (around £100k) would have to written off this year. Without a cash injection of £millions, we will rely upon frees, the youths and the Juniors.

NO!

We could not afford his wages after signing a 3 year contract last season. Dundee will be writing off his transfer fee, £150k, over three years. To let him go would mean that the difference (around £100k) would have to written off this year. Without a cash injection of £millions, we will rely upon frees, the youths and the Juniors.

I agree Kni. I always thought he was a bit of a drifter with us-sometimes good other times lazy. Was quite pleased to get some cash for him at the time.

Well done lads - great performance today especially after last week's nightmare at Raith. Most folk had written us off for today and I reckon we burst a good few coupons, especially in Tayside.

Credit to manager also for getting tactics spot on (more of the same please).

Thought Maxy kept Harkins in his back pocket all first half and Griffiths was kept quite quiet as well which is all you need to do against Dungdee as the rest of the team are fairly average.

And I didn 't realise how huffy Harkins can get - his lunge at end of game could have merited a red in other circumstances with a different ref (who was cack by the way).

Well done Jags - good response to a shaky start to the season. Look forward to more of the same. :D:D

Well done lads - great performance today especially after last week's nightmare at Raith. Most folk had written us off for today and I reckon we burst a good few coupons, especially in Tayside.

Credit to manager also for getting tactics spot on (more of the same please).

Thought Maxy kept Harkins in his back pocket all first half and Griffiths was kept quite quiet as well which is all you need to do against Dungdee as the rest of the team are fairly average.

And I didn 't realise how huffy Harkins can get - his lunge at end of game could have merited a red in other circumstances with a different ref (who was cack by the way).

Well done Jags - good response to a shaky start to the season. Look forward to more of the same. :D:D

O ye of little faith! I haven always been quite optimistic about the season despite the gloom and doom which has flooded this foru for weeks. We actually have a team which today showed that it is capable of more than holding its own in this league. There will of course be slip-ups, but hey, if Dundee are one of the hot tips for promotion again on today's showing we can't be that far behind. And we have Archie and Jackie M waiting to come back into the squad in the reasonably near future. I just hope McCall is bold enough to play today's formation in the next three games - Morton, Cowden beath and Stirling Albion. Now, were we to win these it really could be an interesting season!!

Very, very pleased with the work rate, desire and commitment today from the players. I havn't left Firhill feeling as proud of a team performance in a long time. A performance that reminded me of the old days. Thats all I ask for when I go to Firhill, 100% from the players.

It was a great response to last week shambles but, like McCall has said already it will take a few more positive performances to make up for it.

No point in repeating what has already been said about Boyle, Maxwell and Flannigan. Something about Liam though, although, yet again his finishing was poor no one could question his work rate, he harried and chased done a lot of balls. I've been in favour of dropping Liam for Doolan as I think he deserves his chance, if Liam isn't providing the goals. After today though I think he deserves to keep his place after his work rate today.

I thought Balatoni was fantastic today, I can't remember one header he lost today and had a real presence and composure to his game. I'd have him over Kinniburgh any day and I hope he keeps his place next week.

Grehan got in about it and done well I thought, a lot better than Tuesday.

Wee Cairney was excellent. Thats the performance you get when he is in the middle of the park. Real terrier performance from him and didn't give Harkins a sniff.

One thing though, with Dundee's early chance (Griffiths?) and them hitting the bar, I thought if we go one goal down thats the game over, can't see us coming back. Thats still a worry.

It was a massive three points today but lets not get carried away by it. We need to build on it next week and make sure we show the same commitment as we did today. The players performance today has earned our support next week at Cappielow, lets get behind them. I'll be there.

Edited by northernsoul

I reckon two seasons ago Liam Buchanan would have scored about six goals by now - three certainties against Berwick and at least a couple today. He's in the right places but it's just not happening for him. I don't think it's a lack of effort, he's just not hitting the ball with the confidence he used to have. If he can get a couple of goals soon, I honestly think he could be back to his best. (He's going to have to read how Grehan's head flicks fall, though, and stop mumping that the big guy isn't putting them on a platter for him.)

Anyway - 1-0 against Dundee! Who wouldn't have loved that last season?!

The problem with Liam is that I dont actually think he is a striker. He cant shoot for toffee. How many goals has he actually scored from outside the penalty box, or perhaps even ones where he has scored with power? Most of his goals are usually slid past the keeper or being in the right place at the right time. Some might say thats what a striker should do, but the only way he will be a 20 goal a season striker is in a team with another player capable scoring as many. He mishits or scuffs about half his chances, with todays being another example. He did the exact same thing against Raith last week. Really frustrating when he put in a good shift today and his running and positioning is excellent. I can see why McCall sometimes puts him out wide maybe he'd be better played attacking from midfield or on the wing.

Am I the only person that didn't realise Jamie Adams was playin for Dundee untill reading his name here tonight? He was pish with us, has he actually got worse?

You can add my name to that list and also when did Dungdee sign Jonah Lomu ( number 6)?.Who was the wee ginger nyaff number 4 i think havent seen him before either he looked and acted like Neil Lennons love child?

You can add my name to that list and also when did Dungdee sign Jonah Lomu ( number 6)?.Who was the wee ginger nyaff number 4 i think havent seen him before either he looked and acted like Neil Lennons love child?

And me, totally forgot Adams was on the pitch with his "influence" on the game.

Number 4 was Charlie Grant, THE Charlie Grant.

Anyway, that was fantastic from the team. They all seemed delighted at full time aswell and McCall spoke sense at the end aswell. Hope we beat Allan Moore's mediocre cobbled together team next week. This was just the springboard needed to give us a good chance to win 2 games we should be winning in the league. I know Cowden won today, but they are mince really and Morton we know all about.

Onwards and slowly upwards!!!

good solid performance, no passengers, Liam wasnt at his best but he worked like f8ck.

Boyle had a good game, as did Maxi, I dont recall maxi playing in any pre season game, so with today being his first game, excellent.

I also witnessed 3 times today Paton playing the ball with the wand that is his left foot.

Number 6 was Dominic Shimmin from Morton, minus the dreadlocks. Number 4 might well be Lennons love child, he was signed from Celtic apparently.

Number 6 was Dominic Shimmin from Morton, minus the dreadlocks. Number 4 might well be Lennons love child, he was signed from Celtic apparently.

Shimmin is the reason rugby was invented, shocker, he was the same with Morton. Charlie Grant #4 was rank.

Iam one of these sad people who studies both team warm ups before the game looking for clues

It comes from when i took youth teams and it was your

best indication of the opposition.

Two things from today were Buchanan hitting the target once in his shooting

practise and Harkins strolling about the two touch game looking totally

disinterested in making effort.