Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Got all the outfield players by memory and by a process of elimination can only find one match these outfield players played together. I reckon it's away to Blackpool on 5 August 1967. Had to admit defeat about the keeper however. He only played a handfull of matches but won't name him in case anyone else wants to have a guess.

Good work, afk. A 1-1 draw. I wonder if there was a headline somewhere: "Roxburgh scores in Blackpool."

Loving the old pics, but anything pre-1969 is too early for me to recognise many apart from the obvious well known faces like McParland, McKinnon, Flanagan etc

I've been a work colleague of Neilly Duffy's sister (Jim's aunt as well obviously) and Johnny Flanagan's nephew (who didn't know much about him as a player) as well as spending many a drunken lunchtime in Tommy Ewing's pub in Hamilton when I was at Bell College :D

Edited by jaggy

Here's another from Soccer Star magazine June 5th 1964, sorry about the pixel squares

http://23mtysg.jpg

Duffy, Hainey. Love that picture as we used to sand in the shed, half way back above the Gas sign. Maybe Bent Martin in goals for The Pars

Edited by Lindau

Only one visually identifiable Jag in this one. Recognizing the Celt in the background might help to pin down the precise match (assuming that the No. 5 is too easy).

GW782_H761.jpg

Might be Arthur Duncan out in the wing with possibly Mibawsa in goals!

Edited by Lindau

Celtic at Parkhead. King Billy and Willie "hands on hips" Wallace.

Narrows it down to 10 games but Wallace and McNeil only played in 7 of them together.

THOSE OF A NERVOUS DISPOSITION LOOK AWAY NOW.

I think this is McNeil ramming home a corner in an 8-1 win on 27 Dec 1969. (Hughes (3), Auld (2), Wallace (2), McNeil).

Ritchie, Campbell, Holt, Johnston, McKinnon, Hansen, Rae, SMITH, Bone, Flanagan, Duncan. (Gray).

As to who the Thistle player is...it can't be Gray as he came on at h-t for the injured McKinnon and McNeil had already scored. Think I would recognise the rest except for Billy Johnston. Not a player I remember.

Duffy, Hainey. Love that picture as we used to sand in the shed, half way back above the Gas sign. Maybe Bent Martin in goals for The Pars

If it's Dunfermline it can only be either 20.10.62 or 19.2.64. Duffy and Hainey only played in the same team twice v Pars at home.

However, the Feb 64 match was a Wed night game so the floodlights would have been needed. If it's October 62 that means the photo was 2 years old when the magazine was published.

Jim Herriot played for the Pars in both games but I'm not at all certain it's him. If it's not Dunfermline, I can't see another fixture where the opposition played in thin stripes (although it could be a change strip). Duffy and Hainey played in umpteen games together so it's difficult to narrow it down.

Then it can only be a 0-1 defeat to Morton in the Summer Cup on 9 May 1964.

Niven, Muir, Tinney, Davis, Harvey, Cunningham, Fleming, Hainey, Kerr, Duffy, McParland.

Sorensen, Boyd, Johansen, Kiernan, Cumming, Strachan, Wilson, Caven, Harper, Campbell, Stevenson.

16-year-old Harper prodded the ball in close in following a free-kick corner. Niven appeared to be unsighted. Typically (?) it was totally against the run of play at that point (38 mins). Up till then Thistle had been all over them.

Then it can only be a 0-1 defeat to Morton in the Summer Cup on 9 May 1964. Niven, Muir, Tinney, Davis, Harvey, Cunningham, Fleming, Hainey, Kerr, Duffy, McParland. Sorensen, Boyd, Johansen, Kiernan, Cumming, Strachan, Wilson, Caven, Harper, Campbell, Stevenson. 16-year-old Harper prodded the ball in close in following a free-kick corner. Niven appeared to be unsighted. Typically (?) it was totally against the run of play at that point (38 mins). Up till then Thistle had been all over them.

I hate to think how many goals Harper scored against us.

In fact, anybody know if there's a list of all-time top scorers against us?