Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

A'm no playin' any more!

You're quite right. Not Firhill. 29 December 1979 was the only time the identified players played at Cappielow.

3-1 win Melrose (2) and McAdam. Hutchison for Morton

Rough, MacKinnon, Whittaker, Campbell, McAdam, Anderson, Doyle (J), Melrose, O'Hara, Gibson, Park (Jardine).

(Still think it's Doyle on the line however.)

A'm no playin' any more!

You're quite right. Not Firhill. 29 December 1979 was the only time the identified players played at Cappielow.

3-1 win Melrose (2) and McAdam. Hutchison for Morton

Rough, MacKinnon, Whittaker, Campbell, McAdam, Anderson, Doyle (J), Melrose, O'Hara, Gibson, Park (Jardine).

(Still think it's Doyle on the line however.)

Correct. It's Cappielow, and it's Doyle on the line.

Don't remember too many grounds that had the floodlights on stalks above stand/enclosure but I'll open the bidding and say it's Rugby Park - although not sure why Kilmarnock would be playing in white.

Could be Billy Cunningham running back which would make it one of 7 matches between between 60-61 and 68-69. Don't recognise anyone else so very little to go on.

Don't remember too many grounds that had the floodlights on stalks above stand/enclosure but I'll open the bidding and say it's Rugby Park - although not sure why Kilmarnock would be playing in white.

Could be Billy Cunningham running back which would make it one of 7 matches between between 60-61 and 68-69. Don't recognise anyone else so very little to go on.

Rugby Park might be a good call as they had quite distinctive floodlights

Yes to billy Cunningham. Could it be a youthful frank coulston?

Good call Stu. Could be Bayview.

Found some old photos of the ground and the building to the right of the stand looks to fit the bill but either before or after this match, the floodlights were on vertical poles along the pitch in the photo.

Still, if we go with Charlie Smith, Johnny Gibson, Nobby Clark and Frank Coulston it can only be 15 Aug 1970. LC 1-1. The only game all 4 played in at Bayview.

3 Oct 1970 will give you Smith, Clark and Coulston. 2nd Div 0-0.

18 Aug 1971 you can have Clark and Coulston. L Cup 3-2.

4 Dec 1971 shows just Coulston. 1st Div 3-1.

20 Sep 1972 shows Clark and Coulston. L Cup 0-1.

28 Oct 1972 shows Clark, Gibson, Coulston. 1st Div 1-0.

If it is the East Fife game in August 1970 I was there - holiday in St. Andrews bus to Leven and a walk up to Methil. I cannot rightly remember if we were in the hoops - I think we might have been as it was customary in those days for the home team to change strips when a clash occurred. It finished 1-1 - Alex Rae equalised late on with a header from a corner. As far as I remember the yellow jersey and red shorts combination was first used at the first home league game against Stenhousemuir (4-0) a couple of weeks later.

Having said that - I'm still not 100% sure it is Bayview nor am I totally sure as to who the players are - old age makes you remember some things and forget most of the others.

Stu's suggestion of Bayview is correct. It's the 0-0 draw away to East Fife in Oct 1970. We sometimes wore the hoops during that season when the new yellow top would clash too much with the home side's jersey.

I'm going for Nobby Clark, then either Hugh Strachan or Charlie Smith further away, and then either Ian Reid or Bobby Lawrie further away.

I'd have thought I could recognise any of that squad at any angle, but the guy putting in a tackle is a hard one. Given that he's running his stud's down the guy's spine, could it be Ronnie Glavin?

It actually looks like Jim Rowan (below), but he was gone by then.

Rowan.png

Does anybody remember a Pat Stewart, who played one league game for us at the start of that unforgettable season?

Not a Jags player, but one of the best laughs ever at Firhill.

Too easy, but who is this, and what happened next?Rae_1.png

Alex Rae, Dundee player / manager. He is about to pick up a 2nd yellow after scoring Dundee's goal.

Think that one finished 1-1?

Iwas sure we beat Scumdee that day?

3-1 I think.

Rae would've been my player of the year that season for those two reds he got at Firhill. Unrelated but of similar hilarity was when Griffith, still playing for Livinghell, out of frustration kicked the advertising hoarding, got injured and had to be subbed.