Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Great photo from Stu Jag's collection. Jimmy Bone scores against a now-defunct outfit, and it's not Third Lanark.

Some rough and ready calculations, and I make it that Jimmy Bone is our most prolific striker of the last half century, scoring on average every 1.8 games. Next come Dougie Somner (every 2.16 games), then Mark Roberts and James Grady (2.2), though Grady only played 33 games for us.

The perfect record of scoring in every game was achieved by the phenomenon that was Eddie Prudham: 5 games, 5 goals!

Bone_Jimmy_Scores_v_Rangers_H_Sep_1969.jpg

• Like 1

Great photo from Stu Jag's collection. Jimmy Bone scores against a now-defunct outfit, and it's not Third Lanark.

Some rough and ready calculations, and I make it that Jimmy Bone is our most prolific striker of the last half century, scoring on average every 1.8 games. Next come Dougie Somner (every 2.16 games), then Mark Roberts and James Grady (2.2), though Grady only played 33 games for us.

The perfect record of scoring in every game was achieved by the phenomenon that was Eddie Prudham: 5 games, 5 goals!

I hate to admit it, but I actually had that Rangers strip when I was around 7. My dad took me to a Glasgow Cup tie at Ibrox against Thistle soon after I got it, the game finished 2-2. That night I told my dad I wanted to support the team in Red and Yellow. It worked out great as my Gran lived in Kirkland St, so I soon got taken to most home games :happy2:

• Like 3

I hate to admit it, but I actually had that Rangers strip when I was around 7. My dad took me to a Glasgow Cup tie at Ibrox against Thistle soon after I got it, the game finished 2-2. That night I told my dad I wanted to support the team in Red and Yellow. It worked out great as my Gran lived in Kirkland St, so I soon got taken to most home games :happy2:

My first football strip was.... a Motherwell strip! No idea why.... Probably my mother thought that any old strip would do as a Christmas present.

Another article, this time from Soccer Star magazine. Before my time, but how did Tommy get on in his second time round at Firhill?

He lasted 2 seasons. 1964/65 was amazing for club and player. He was at his peak and full of confidence. It was the only season he finished as Top Scorer, and did so in the 3 charts - 15 in the League, 23 in all competitions, 23 in all games. By comparison 1965/66 was a huge anti-climax. He got injured, and only featured in about 10 games and scored just the once. He was always troubled with a bit of a dicky knee. At the end of the season we freed him. Morton took a chance. Same story with them, they freed him. Hamilton then took a chance but it was clear the game was up for him as a player with just a handful of appearances over the next couple of seasons. He got into coaching and became their manager but Accies slumped to rock bottom position in Scottish Football in season 1969-70. There was a McParland v Ewing managerial H2H in September '70 (2-0 to Davie) and Tommy got the bullet just a couple of weeks later.

I wonder if Ritchie Pacquette might qualify for this. He might have a hat-trick in 1 game. Not sure about the validity of the game though - the 18-0 win against the Royal Highland Fusiliers is giving me a bit of a dilemma. From what I can gather it was played at the British Army Base, Cyprus on 17th July 2004. The big question for me is: Was it closed doors or was it open to the public? Did any maddoes from the Forum make it to that one? It's also quite possible that Ritchie could have played in the first game against them, a 9-0 win a couple of days before.

And here, you'll like this one Jagger. Way back in 1899-00 when we won our second League title, our top scorer was a young American-born lad by the name of John Blackwood who probably made the greatest ever 6-month impact of any short-stint players in all of Partick Thistle’s long and industrious history. I'm currently writing a piece about Willie Paul and I noted: "The amazing young centre forward had arrived on loan from Celtic at the end of October and was immediately thrust into the no.9 role, with Willie Paul moving to his inside. He was a revelation – and a natural-born goal scoring machine. In his short time at Thistle he really “put himself in the shop window” with an amazing 29 goals in his 6 months, and by seasons’ end he would be a Woolwich Arsenal player."

Anyway, the big thing is, his 29 goals came in 24 games. Reckon he's got to take the goals ratio crown with that one.

I wonder if Ritchie Pacquette might qualify for this. He might have a hat-trick in 1 game. Not sure about the validity of the game though - the 18-0 win against the Royal Highland Fusiliers is giving me a bit of a dilemma. From what I can gather it was played at the British Army Base, Cyprus on 17th July 2004. The big question for me is: Was it closed doors or was it open to the public? Did any maddoes from the Forum make it to that one? It's also quite possible that Ritchie could have played in the first game against them, a 9-0 win a couple of days before. And here, you'll like this one Jagger. Way back in 1899-00 when we won our second League title, our top scorer was a young American-born lad by the name of John Blackwood who probably made the greatest ever 6-month impact of any short-stint players in all of Partick Thistle’s long and industrious history. I'm currently writing a piece about Willie Paul and I noted: "The amazing young centre forward had arrived on loan from Celtic at the end of October and was immediately thrust into the no.9 role, with Willie Paul moving to his inside. He was a revelation – and a natural-born goal scoring machine. In his short time at Thistle he really “put himself in the shop window” with an amazing 29 goals in his 6 months, and by seasons’ end he would be a Woolwich Arsenal player." Anyway, the big thing is, his 29 goals came in 24 games. Reckon he's got to take the goals ratio crown with that one.

Great stuff, TJR.

Any suggestions about who the players are in this one? From the Thistle top I'd go for 1948-1949, but who knows! Is it Firhill? photo_24_copy.jpg

Tough one this. 99% certain it's Firhill. 100% certain it's Jimmy McGrory. He played for Celtic between 1922 and 1937. Discount pre-Jan 1935 (blue jerseys) and you're left with only 2 matches he played at Firhill after that.

It could be 14 November 1936. League 1-1 (Gray) but the other clue is the defender.

Comparison of the team photographs in the OH suggests the other Thistle player looks like Bobby Donnelly. That would mean its from 13 Feb 1935. Scottish Cup 1-3 (Bain.) That would make the keeper Bobby Johnstone.

Tough one this. 99% certain it's Firhill. 100% certain it's Jimmy McGrory. He played for Celtic between 1922 and 1937. Discount pre-Jan 1935 (blue jerseys) and you're left with only 2 matches he played at Firhill after that.

It could be 14 November 1936. League 1-1 (Gray) but the other clue is the defender.

Comparison of the team photographs in the OH suggests the other Thistle player looks like Bobby Donnelly. That would mean its from 13 Feb 1935. Scottish Cup 1-3 (Bain.) That would make the keeper Bobby Johnstone.

Spot on again, AFK (at least I think so). It's surely Donnelly, quite a distinctive face. And a look at the 1935-1936 squad photo shows that this is the first R&Y Thistle shirt, which they must have worn at the start of the year including in the cup tie you mention. Interestingly, although Donnelly appears in the 1935-1936 photo, he never played for the first team at all that season, or in fact again.

Johnstone went on to be first-choice keeper for another four seasons.

I'm basically now out of old photos (apart from old 1980's press photos which are back home and so unavailable to scan). Nobody got anything interesting old newspaper cuttings or photos to share?

Edited by Jaggernaut

Spot on again, AFK (at least I think so). It's surely Donnelly, quite a distinctive face. And a look at the 1935-1936 squad photo shows that this is the first R&Y Thistle shirt, which they must have worn at the start of the year including in the cup tie you mention. Interestingly, although Donnelly appears in the 1935-1936 photo, he never played for the first team at all that season, or in fact again.

Johnstone went on to be first-choice keeper for another four seasons.

I'm basically now out of old photos (apart from old 1980's press photos which are back home and so unavailable to scan). Nobody got anything interesting old newspaper cuttings or photos to share?

If that is the end to this wondrous thread then many, many thanks for all your efforts. It has been a delight from day one.Who said nostalgia is not what it was?

If that is the end to this wondrous thread then many, many thanks for all your efforts. It has been a delight from day one.Who said nostalgia is not what it was?

No deid yet! Here's one with a view to the upcoming game on Saturday. The caption gives the essential info, but who's the player congratulating our scorer? And what match, exactly?

Haineyvs_St_J.png

No deid yet! Here's one with a view to the upcoming game on Saturday. The caption gives the essential info, but who's the player congratulating our scorer? And what match, exactly? Haineyvs_St_J.png

Dan McLindon.

Hainey had scored twice against St Johnstone in the cup the season before but it can't be that match because McLindon wasn't playing. So process of elimination, it looks like a 2-2 draw on 14 Nov 1964. (The OH gives the goals to Hainey and McParland, but The Ev Times and The Herald both gave the scorers as Hainey and McLindon.)

Niven, Hogan, Tinney, Davis, Harvey, Staite, Fleming, McLindon, Hainey, McParland, Ewing.

Dan McLindon.

Hainey had scored twice against St Johnstone in the cup the season before but it can't be that match because McLindon wasn't playing. So process of elimination, it looks like a 2-2 draw on 14 Nov 1964. (The OH gives the goals to Hainey and McParland, but The Ev Times and The Herald both gave the scorers as Hainey and McLindon.)

Niven, Hogan, Tinney, Davis, Harvey, Staite, Fleming, McLindon, Hainey, McParland, Ewing.

Superb.

Dan McLindon.

Was at that game but can't help with the 2nd scorer. My dad was born and brought up in Perth and a St J supporter. I can just mind having a friendly enough argument about which team deserved to win. No doubt it was the Jags but I never won an argument with my faither. The other thingy in my memory hints at the great Neil Duffy playing for St Johnstone that day but i thought he left us a wee bit later?

Was at that game but can't help with the 2nd scorer. My dad was born and brought up in Perth and a St J supporter. I can just mind having a friendly enough argument about which team deserved to win. No doubt it was the Jags but I never won an argument with my faither. The other thingy in my memory hints at the great Neil Duffy playing for St Johnstone that day but i thought he left us a wee bit later?

I was at that game too - just a nipper then but my first Thistle Hero was Neil Duffy. I was heartbroken when he left to join St Johnstone - I'm sure it was a swap deal for Johnny Flanagan - and I think this might have been his first game for them. We were 2-0 up but Saints scored two late goals to equalise, with Duffy scoring one and an assist for the other. I was traumatised for several days afterwards.

Likewise I had a family connection with Perth - my grandparents lived there and we often went to Muirton Park. Saints had a few bruisers in their team in the late 60's - McCarry, Willie Coburn and two future Thistle Managers, Benny Rooney & John Lambie. They also had outstanding forwards in Henry Hall & John Connolly - I think it was in 1969 they horsed us 8-1 at Firhill. Traumatised further - I've never liked St Johnstone.

Edited by Winter of '63

Dan McLindon.

Yip that's deffo Dangerous Danny McLindon

Edited by Lindau

Yer man signed for Manchester City at the end of June 1935. Apparently, Scotland bred the most desireable hard-man centre halves - a must-have for any ambitious English club. Ten months later, the bold Robert had clocked up 30 appearances for them and was in possession of a League winners medal as Man City became champions of England for the first time!

• Like 1

I was at that game too - just a nipper then but my first Thistle Hero was Neil Duffy. I was heartbroken when he left to join St Johnstone - I'm sure it was a swap deal for Johnny Flanagan - and I think this might have been his first game for them. We were 2-0 up but Saints scored two late goals to equalise, with Duffy scoring one and an assist for the other. I was traumatised for several days afterwards.

Likewise I had a family connection with Perth - my grandparents lived there and we often went to Muirton Park. Saints had a few bruisers in their team in the late 60's - McCarry, Willie Coburn and two future Thistle Managers, Benny Rooney & John Lambie. They also had outstanding forwards in Henry Hall & John Connolly - I think it was in 1969 they horsed us 8-1 at Firhill. Traumatised further - I've never liked St Johnstone.

Not quite right. As far as I can see, Duffy's debut for St Johnstone was on 31 October 1964. He played for Thistle the previous Saturday.

Flanagan's debut for Thistle was almost a year later - 23 October 1965. A 3-4 defeat away to Dunfermline.