Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

This thread throws up so many players I've long forgotten about but this is a step even further into the unknown. In the presumption I'm once again having one of my all too increasing senior moments could someone please refresh my tarnished memory about Billy McLeod?

I actually saw him play for Thistle against Rangers...he was a youngster playing because he was the only striker we had up against Colin Jackson & Tom Forsyth...hardly surprising that he made no impact whatsoever as we hardly crossed the halfway line in a 4-0 defeat.

I remember the game because it was the last time I was at a game at Ibrox (1980). But also young McLeod carbon dates for me the beginning of the 30 year decline in the club...we had just transferred Doug Somner, Jim Melrose and Colin McAdam all of whom were outstanding strikers and had nothing to replace them.

^^^ "In taking the match-winning burden on his slim shoulders, Gibson took some hefty knocks, and it was with the heartfelt relief of his opponents that he retired at the interval."

All true, but the report [typically] camouflages the fact that wee Gibby's 'half time retirement' was necessitated by a thoroughly brutish bone crunching sandwich 'challenge' on him by Greig and Mathieson as he was on his way to ripping them both new rectum number X in the match. Thugs!

Probably my best ever game at Firhill. A beautiful day, performance and result; and against those Neanderthals too! Happy happy days. Woof!

Screen_Hunter_805_Jun_07_20_04.jpg

The things you remember....they played In My Own Time by Family at half time,,,,wee Johnny G was kicked off the park by them, I'm sure 2 folk died of heart attacks during the game...Alec McDonald lobbed Roughie from the 18 yard box...ball came back of the bar and straight into Roughie's arms. Rough was immense in the second half. The first half made Johnny a legend.

I was up at the North End of the shed wi ma Dad right at the back and got a great view of all our goals. From that day in August for 3 months it was fantastic to be a Jags fan.

• Like 1

The things you remember....they played In My Own Time by Family at half time,,,,wee Johnny G was kicked off the park by them, I'm sure 2 folk died of heart attacks during the game...Alec McDonald lobbed Roughie from the 18 yard box...ball came back of the bar and straight into Roughie's arms. Rough was immense in the second half. The first half made Johnny a legend.

I was up at the North End of the shed wi ma Dad right at the back and got a great view of all our goals. From that day in August for 3 months it was fantastic to be a Jags fan.

Great recollection. I remember reading in the papers about a couple of heart attacks, but there was no way of knowing what team they supported. In any case it was a great day to be a Thistle fan. Maybe the biggest game for which I regret there was no tv coverage.

That is one of my highlights following the club. First game back in the big league and Gibby running riot, but the whole team were immense that day. Remember standing at the back of the city end that day so we could get a quick getaway from the seething Rangers then, Sevco now fans. The very start of a very special season to be a jags fan!

Guys enough of how good it was to be a Jags fan between August & October 71. I wasn't even born !!! Well jealous.

All of '71 was wonderful! A 4-0 win against Promotion rivals East Fife at the beginning of the Year, winning the Second Division Title in April, and the spectacular 8-3 game against Motherwell in December.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that the photo of the long forgotten Billy McLeod against Rangers in 1980 marked the end of the Glory Days, but the game against Rangers in 1971 was the Coming of Age - John Gibson, who was about the same size as Stevie Lawless, turned the match after we lost an early goal - the pic is of his first, he set up the second and scored the third with a header. He had been booted out the game by half time by John Greig,(voted by them as the Greatest Ever Ranger) but that was the first League Game of the Season and we looked as if we might just be a bit of a special team.

The only downside for those of us who were youngsters at the time was that we didn't realise watching Thistle wasn't always going to be as good as that.

• Like 1

^^^...and if memory serves me correctly, weren't we the televised game of the day in our demolition of East Fife - despite it being a second tier game?

I was going to add to your list of great things in '71 the 4-1 thrashing we meted out to the inhabitants of Rugby Park at that particular midden, but that might've been the other side of Hogmanay.

• Members

^^^...and if memory serves me correctly, weren't we the televised game of the day in our demolition of East Fife - despite it being a second tier game?

I was going to add to your list of great things in '71 the 4-1 thrashing we meted out to the inhabitants of Rugby Park at that particular midden, but that might've been the other side of Hogmanay.

I think that was possibly the first ever away game I attended. Remember Denis scoring with a back heel!

... and to be honest, Will, it was your good self who reminded me of the actual scoreline a bit ago: time had woven it into a 2-nil win for us in my mind. A great result at any time against them, but it was on the back of a mini slump, I'm sure, which made it all the more special. Great travelling Thistle contingent too - must've been around 3-4,000.