Mccall Back In Management?

Dark Passenger

Harkins, Paton, Erskine, Tuffey, Cairney, Twaddle who all got bigger moves after us (for better or worse) plus the likes of Bannigan, Doolan, Fox, Balatoni (loan) were all integral players for us getting promoted. He also re-signed our current manager Alan Archibald and our previous manager, who went on to a bigger club.

I think he'll do a good job at what could be a decent championship club. I always like having a few second teams to keep an eye on and Ayr were already one due to Mark Roberts but will probably upt my interest a little now. The lack of Scottish managers in England has narrowed my choices down South.

^ Excellent points and we should not forget that McCall negotiated excellent deals, worth over £200k, for Harkins and Twaddle. He, with the aid of Bobby Dinnie's scouting, laid the foundations for McNamara and Archibald.

There are a few Scot managing English clubs - e.g. Paul Lambert, Steve Clarke and Malky Mackay.

Harkins, Paton, Erskine, Tuffey, Cairney, Twaddle who all got bigger moves after us (for better or worse) plus the likes of Bannigan, Doolan, Fox, Balatoni (loan) were all integral players for us getting promoted. He also re-signed our current manager Alan Archibald and our previous manager, who went on to a bigger club.

On the topic of Paul Cairney: I wasn't even aware that he signed for Killie last summer. Has he played for them yet?

I was speaking about Cairney last week - I think he could do a job for us. He played week in week out for Hibs when they were second in the league a couple seasons ago. Had a bad game v Falkirk (maybe Raith) in the cup and got hooked at half time. Seemed to take the blame for the loss and didn't feature much after that - Hibs then fell down the table quite drastically. He signed for Killie but just hasn't been featuring at all except odd bench game - not really had a chance. Signed a two year deal with Killie in the summer there so probably won't be released.

^ Excellent points and we should not forget that McCall negotiated excellent deals, worth over £200k, for Harkins and Twaddle. He, with the aid of Bobby Dinnie's scouting, laid the foundations for McNamara and Archibald.

There are a few Scot managing English clubs - e.g. Paul Lambert, Steve Clarke and Malky Mackay.

Whatever happend to The Twad-Father ? I thought he was one who could have made it, but seemed to vanish after a couple of years at Falkirk.

On the topic of Paul Cairney: I wasn't even aware that he signed for Killie last summer. Has he played for them yet?

i was going to say no, too busy eating all the pies, but upon checking, turns out grand total of four sub appearances.

13 minutes 13 aug v aberdeen

3 minutes 23 aug v motherwell

17 minutes 22 nov v dundee utd

12 minutes 20 dec v motherwell

last two, booked in.

with exception of well appearance, where they were already 2-0 up, the other three games were all defeats and he didn't make any positive contribution or change.

eta ..... see rny beat me to it on his appearances, but disagree he would be worth signing. we have better, and can get better.

Whatever happend to The Twad-Father ? I thought he was one who could have made it, but seemed to vanish after a couple of years at Falkirk.

after falkirk .....

2011/12 rochdale ..... 2 appearances

2012/13 ayr utd ..... 17 appearances, 1 goal

2013/14 and 2014/15 been with irvine meadow

I was speaking about Cairney last week - I think he could do a job for us. He played week in week out for Hibs when they were second in the league a couple seasons ago. Had a bad game v Falkirk (maybe Raith) in the cup and got hooked at half time. Seemed to take the blame for the loss and didn't feature much after that - Hibs then fell down the table quite drastically. He signed for Killie but just hasn't been featuring at all except odd bench game - not really had a chance. Signed a two year deal with Killie in the summer there so probably won't be released.

The game you are referring to was the cup semi v Falkirk. PC got hooked at 0-3 and the final score was Hibs 4-3 aet. Lyle Taylor missed a couple of one-on-ones for Falkirk that day too.

The game you are referring to was the cup semi v Falkirk. PC got hooked at 0-3 and the final score was Hibs 4-3 aet. Lyle Taylor missed a couple of one-on-ones for Falkirk that day too.

Probably explains why they didn't let him back in the team - he did have a shocker. Completely forgot/ didn't remember Hibs ended up winning.

I've always thought Cairney has fitness issues. Not of his own making I add. When he's 100% he's an effective player but he's not at 100% too often. Spells out a team might mean he needs longer to get match fit than most. Could be he's an SPFL player in a championship body. He's certainly an intelligent type of player and I'd like to see him do well apart from against us.

All looking very good for Ayr. Think it's a good fit for McCall as well. They came mighty close to being an SPL club round about 2000 and reached a fair number of cup semi finals during that time as well. The potential is definitely there in terms of fanbase and I wonder if there are ambitions to return to full time football in the near future.

I always thought Ian McCall would go on to great things in management, first noticed him when he was in charge at Clydebank, where he did a remarkable job.

Think we have benefited as a club having three good managers in a row. I was sad to see McCall leave us, but happy too see him back in the game, Ayr Utd are very fortunate to have him as their manager.

All the best to you Ian.

All looking very good for Ayr. Think it's a good fit for McCall as well. They came mighty close to being an SPL club round about 2000 and reached a fair number of cup semi finals during that time as well. The potential is definitely there in terms of fanbase and I wonder if there are ambitions to return to full time football in the near future.

They also have a decent youth set up and it's a great appointment by Ayr.