Stephen O'donnell

DUFCFAN

Or maybe it's just kind of obvious that we can't keep him...

Not sure I understand.

So we can sign players that have played in English Championship/League 1 but can't keep a guy whose club career highlight to date was finishing 10th in SPL?

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy

Downward career trajectory vs upward?

So by that reckoning League 1 > SPL.?

But he's knocked back that move already (Championship at the moment).

I know what you're saying DD but a change of scenery meaning Tayside instead of Glasgow. Aside from a few places higher in the league, scenery more or less the same.

I wonder if club made public the Blackpool bid & acceptance to make the support aware that he's got else something lined up?

With Elliot, Finnie, Welsh, Banzo, Booth, Keenan & at a push BRE & Seabourne all being able to play full back I wonder if he'll still be here after Monday night?

& if he is, personally I'd have him kicking his heels on touchline.

Cue howls of derision from some...

He is the best RB we have and while we are still paying his wages and he is playing well enough, I expect him to be in the team.

This.

His intention was always to leave but he still turned in good performances against Hamilton and Killie. There's no need to drop him.

If he turns to shite then drop him but our only options for RB are Finnie and at a push Elliott.

I think Finnie has been signed as cover, what with McMillan being out the picture.

I fully expect O'Donnell to be 1st choice right back for as long as he is playing well.

It's all very well saying that we should be tying down these guys on long contracts, but who's to say the players themselves would want a longer deal? ATS played the whole of last season on a 1st division wage while everyone else had signed MUCH more lucrative deals. He could have more than doubled his wage but chose not to so he could have more options the following summer. Players have better advice these days with agents in their ears, and any young player showing a bit of promise will be advised not to sign a longer deal.

• Like 1

I agree Ian, it tends to be players coming towards the end of their careers that want longer deals.

I am old enough to remember Jim McLean insisting that his young players signed 5-8 year contracts and they were paid buttons, despite competing for the league and in Europe.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Says in today's ET that he's happy at Firhill and that he feels he's not currently playing as well as he could or should.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick-thistle/odonnell-loving-life-at-firhill-197336n.118462306

Honesty in the sense of admitting he's not played well last couple weeks (not alone though).

His comments on "potential suitors" I find a bit patronising towards the support.

We know you're going in the Simmer & it's pretty obvious that if a contract not been signed he's certainly been tipped the wink by his agent as to where, who & how much.

He stats to the Sumner & potential transfer fee to the club = potential signing on fee for player.

Just hope his drop in form is just a blip & not a sign of things to come with his mind wandering to next season.

I agree Ian, it tends to be players coming towards the end of their careers that want longer deals.

I am old enough to remember Jim McLean insisting that his young players signed 5-8 year contracts and they were paid buttons, despite competing for the league and in Europe.

That's right, but they also used to work out a bit of a deal with some of their players, if I remember correctly, where if they had two good players they woud agree to sell one of them and keep the other, but give them a big lump sum to put in their pension pot.

However, I do remember a story about one of their players (can't remember who) that played in their famous UEFA cup run of the late 1980's, when they beat the likes of Barcelona home & away and other top teams. Anyway, one of the players that was in that team, was going to leave Dundee Utd to join Cowdenbeath or something because they had offered him a car!