The Top 6 Myth !

Pinhead

We were easily beaten by St Johnstone, who were easily beaten by Inverness who.... were easily beaten by us.

Make sense.

It's so completely normal and unremarkable. I'm totally astounded by the view regularly expressed on this forum that we should beat one team because they lost to another. It doesn't, and never has, worked like that. If it did absolutely no one would be interested.

• Like 2

We are a club with first division resources who have been fortunate to benefit from the mis-management of bigger clubs, who once they come back up and sort themselves, we'll be back down there as we had been prior.

That is not true.

We were promoted totally on merit and the fortunes of other clubs had no influence on our promotion season.

Last year, taking Hearts out of the equation, we finished above Hibs on points and they did not have any major financial problems at the time. Even if Rangers had been in the league, we would have still made the playoff, presumably against Hamilton, and our end of season form had been quite good, so that would have been very winnable over 2 legs.

The last time Hearts and Hibs both finished in the top 6 was 2009/10. It was mainly Hearts in the top 6 probably due to their Lithuanians financial shenanigans.

So maybe, this won't be our best chance to make that illusive breakthrough into the big 6.

And anyway, as I have asked before, apart from the bigger payout, why is it such a big attraction ?

And anyway, as I have asked before, apart from the bigger payout, why is it such a big attraction ?

Prestige, bigger crowds, better atmosphere and the ability to attract (and keep) better players. I was hoping for, but not anticipating, a top 6 finish this season. There's nothing wrong with optimism or ambition.

The financial benefits would be considerable - not just the end of season "payout". The club could negotiate a better kit deal and bring in higher sponsorship and pitch advertising revenues. More coverage on Sportscene would help attract sponsors and advertisers too.

It's encouraging to see Lindsay, Wilson and McDaid breaking into the first team. Scully will return a better player too, If the investment in Thistle Weir is successful, then that optimism may be realised.

• Like 1

That is not true.

We were promoted totally on merit and the fortunes of other clubs had no influence on our promotion season.

Last year, taking Hearts out of the equation, we finished above Hibs on points and they did not have any major financial problems at the time. Even if Rangers had been in the league, we would have still made the playoff, presumably against Hamilton, and our end of season form had been quite good, so that would have been very winnable over 2 legs.

I share this view. We got promoted without having the benefit of being the biggest spenders in the league that season. And there's absolutely no evidence to suggest we wouldn't have beaten Accies in a play off. Besides we may have got something out the County game anyway if survival was still at stake.

I wouldn't argue with Hankey re us being on "championship resources" but that's no reason we can't establish ourselves in the top division. Some clubs fight above their weight others below.

The last time Hearts and Hibs both finished in the top 6 was 2009/10. It was mainly Hearts in the top 6 probably due to their Lithuanians financial shenanigans.

So maybe, this won't be our best chance to make that illusive breakthrough into the big 6.

I suppose it's quite feasible that we could get bigger attendances if clubs were coming to Firhill desperate for points, so maybe being bottom six could have its benefit. I'd like us in the top six purely as we'd be able to make plans for next season in the absolute safety of knowing our minimum league earnings. On the downside many of our fans aren't turning up just now when points are all important. I can't see them coming back for the last three (?) when results could be purely academic.

Prestige, bigger crowds, better atmosphere and the ability to attract (and keep) better players. I was hoping for, but not anticipating, a top 6 finish this season. There's nothing wrong with optimism or ambition.

The financial benefits would be considerable - not just the end of season "payout". The club could negotiate a better kit deal and bring in higher sponsorship and pitch advertising revenues. More coverage on Sportscene would help attract sponsors and advertisers too.

It's encouraging to see Lindsay, Wilson and McDaid breaking into the first team. Scully will return a better player too, If the investment in Thistle Weir is successful, then that optimism may be realised.

I think in order to get the prestige that you mention, we would need to be a regular feature in the top 6, as opposed to just this season, when the top league is perceived to be much poorer due to the absence of Hearts and Hibs. Regarding crowds, again this season I don't think there would be higher crowds, particularly with Inverness, Hamilton and St Johnston currently in that group. In addition lack of any real chance of Europe wouldn't in my opinion lead to higher crowds. Conversely, last season's close relegation/playoff race led to higher crowds in the bottom six.

Kit deals,sponsorship and advertising. It's speculation that these would be higher. I think it would come down to the quality of our negotiating team. More coverage on Sportcene - maybe, but I think the general order on Sportcene depends on the number of goals scored in any particular game.

I agree that it is encouraging that some of the youngsters are getting a chance. That is where the excitement might be regenerated.

Jeez, I agree!

I think in order to get the prestige that you mention, we would need to be a regular feature in the top 6, as opposed to just this season, when the top league is perceived to be much poorer due to the absence of Hearts and Hibs. Regarding crowds, again this season I don't think there would be higher crowds, particularly with Inverness, Hamilton and St Johnston currently in that group. In addition lack of any real chance of Europe wouldn't in my opinion lead to higher crowds. Conversely, last season's close relegation/playoff race led to higher crowds in the bottom six. Kit deals,sponsorship and advertising. It's speculation that these would be higher. I think it would come down to the quality of our negotiating team. More coverage on Sportcene - maybe, but I think the general order on Sportcene depends on the number of goals scored in any particular game. I agree that it is encouraging that some of the youngsters are getting a chance. That is where the excitement might be regenerated.

There's no doubt that the absence of Hearts and Hibs has affected attendances. I thought that, wrongly, that we might pick up some of the disaffected Rangers fans from the north and west of the city. Your point about the relegation battle last season is a good one.

If we could get into the top 6, perhaps challenge for a Europa Cup place and have a good Cup run, it would be reasonable to expect bigger gates. Like it or not, there is a large proportion of our support that only turns out when we are doing well.

If we were top 6 and got more television coverage, we could attract a big kit sponsor like Nike or Adidas for a season or two at least. Nike sponsor Celtic, Dundee United, Accies(!) and Hibs. Adidas sponsors the Dons and Hearts. Puma sponsor Motherwell, Dundee and Sevco.

With the possible exception of Accies, there's a clear pattern - top 6 brings in kit deals with the big suppliers. More television coverage, especially internationally, delivers bigger sponsors who want their global brands to be associated with success and reach audiences in their millions.

There's no doubt that the absence of Hearts and Hibs has affected attendances. I thought that, wrongly, that we might pick up some of the disaffected Rangers fans from the north and west of the city. Your point about the relegation battle last season is a good one.

If we could get into the top 6, perhaps challenge for a Europa Cup place and have a good Cup run, it would be reasonable to expect bigger gates. Like it or not, there is a large proportion of our support that only turns out when we are doing well.

If we were top 6 and got more television coverage, we could attract a big kit sponsor like Nike or Adidas for a season or two at least. Nike sponsor Celtic, Dundee United, Accies(!) and Hibs. Adidas sponsors the Dons and Hearts. Puma sponsor Motherwell, Dundee and Sevco.

With the possible exception of Accies, there's a clear pattern - top 6 brings in kit deals with the big suppliers. More television coverage, especially internationally, delivers bigger sponsors who want their global brands to be associated with success and reach audiences in their millions.

Puma made our kits a few seasons ago when we were in the First. Don't think it really has much effect on sales/income for a club of our size.

We have the players and the ability to be a top six side.

At the moment we lack the consistency to be a top six side.

If we can go on some sort of unbeaten run, grow some confidence and believe in our ability, we will become a top six side.