Duggan/mcdaid

Lindau

Was there today and quite enjoyed the match. Thought United played sort of "studied/tutored" football without a lot of spark in it until well on in the second half. Perversely once they resorted to longer balls they didn't look dangerous at all.

We played okay with BRE being a standout and the ones you would expect to be "better" like Wilson and McDaid were better. The latter, though, gave the ball away a couple of times in the middle of the park and each time United could have scored. We could have scored more after several breaks when United lost the ball in midfield.

I didn't know it was Finnie playing, presumably he was the number seven? Duggan looked more or less like he did last season , maybe having filled out a bit.

The biggest laugh was one of their bespectacled coaches sitting in the back of the stand and you could have heard him in Motherwell - amazing how rude he sounded in a silent stadium. Their manager, though, was Davy Bowman whom I didn't recognise till I saw him up close at half-time.

And back to back wins too.

Great result.

We will need to coach this out of them before they're ready for the first team.

Great result for the youngsters, and good to see so many names we now recognise due to them being on the fringes of the first team too. It's refreshing to have a youth system!

• Like 1

We will need to coach this out of them before they're ready for the first team.

Great result for the youngsters, and good to see so many names we now recognise due to them being on the fringes of the first team too. It's refreshing to have a youth system!

Hopefully alot more to come.

I think over the next few years you will see a few more come through.

The club might need to wait a bit to see the best though as the lads at the younger age groups just now will reap the most benefits from the Weir's investment in the Academy and also by playing in the Elite level which should happen soon.

The extra years these boys have playing at this higher level while moving through the age groups and also the Academy attracting a higher standard of player to it, will hopefully see the club producing top homegrown players who can be top performers in the first team rather than just fringe players.

• Like 1

I seen a Scotland squad for a youth game coming up in a couple of weeks time (it might have been U15's?) and it was mostly made up of kids signed for Celtic or Rangers. This cant be good for the game in Scotland.

To be fair Will at U15's Rangers and Celtic are the best sides and probably the most talented age groups at both clubs Academies

It always gets debates going though when squads are picked.

We have great talent at all our clubs and alot of them are good enough to get recognition for being picked for Scotland squads.

The important thing for me though is what boys will still be playing at a high level and coming through their clubs system in a few years time and pushing for first team places.

Also with the football performance schools now up and running a few years now, i have no doubt any squads picked will have at least 50% of those picked coming from these schools.

They have to show the system is working :rolleyes: and at U15's (player born 2000) this was the first intake of these boys to the schools.

Thistle have a talented player going through the trials for the 2001 Scotland squad which will be a great experience for him.

http://thistleweir.c..._academy_player

Edited by billko

• Members

I understand what your'e saying billko, it's not the fact that the lads are from Celtic and Rangers, it's the fact that Celtic and Rangers are picking up ALL these young lads with only the odd exception.

The other Clubs especially in Central Scotland, need to start selling themselves to these kids a lot better and show them that, going to Celtic and Rangers is probably the worst decision they can make if they want a career in football.

Sadly i don't think Duggan will get his chance at Firhill, good player but with Dools and currently Taylor ahead of him and next season Dools and whoever ahead of him his chances will be zero. It is a shame because he knows his way to goal.

That will be a real shame. He at least deserves a chance, and that doesn't just mean 10 minutes at the end of the odd game.

• Like 1

I understand what your'e saying billko, it's not the fact that the lads are from Celtic and Rangers, it's the fact that Celtic and Rangers are picking up ALL these young lads with only the odd exception.

The other Clubs especially in Central Scotland, need to start selling themselves to these kids a lot better and show them that, going to Celtic and Rangers is probably the worst decision they can make if they want a career in football.

They will always attract the best and also have the draw of parents who want their child playing for one or the other.

Other clubs and i include Thistle have excellent youth academies in place that can compete to a certain extent with Rangers and Celtic in attracting talent but it's still a hard job to convince a parent / parents this.

Sometimes it's the "he will never get the chance again" thinking of parents if any of these 2 clubs come calling.

The other thing is the cheque book comes out with Celtic especially picking up youth players from other clubs who are doing well

Rangers and Celtic can go through quite a number of players and this fallout when boys are released are mostly picked up by other clubs who then carry on the development these boys

Thoughts are changing a bit especially when folk realise so few break through to Rangers and Celtic first teams and the option of the other academies we have can be the best option these days

Rangers and Celtic can go through quite a number of players and this fallout when boys are released are mostly picked up by other clubs who then carry on the development these boys

Thoughts are changing a bit especially when folk realise so few break through to Rangers and Celtic first teams and the option of the other academies we have can be the best option these days

I think this will continue to be key for us. We're not going to be able to compete on a level field with Rangers and Celtic in terms of facilities or cash, but we've seen in recent years that they continue to discard young players who can go on to achieve things in the game.

Also, if we begin to show that we're a club willing to give young players a chance, we will start attracting one or two who may in the past have gone elsewhere.

They will always attract the best and also have the draw of parents who want their child playing for one or the other.

Other clubs and i include Thistle have excellent youth academies in place that can compete to a certain extent with Rangers and Celtic in attracting talent but it's still a hard job to convince a parent / parents this.

Sometimes it's the "he will never get the chance again" thinking of parents if any of these 2 clubs come calling.

The other thing is the cheque book comes out with Celtic especially picking up youth players from other clubs who are doing well

Not sevco bashing for the sake of it, and I'm quoting one of their own followers, but the Rangers/sevco youth policy could be renamed Lewis MacLeod.

I can understand the draw the ugly sisters have on parents but as a parent myself I think you'd have to be convinced your kid was very highly talented to farm the lad off to either club, even if you are a lifetime fan yourself. As it is one club ain't turning out talent and the other, mainly thru "over subscription", apparently quick to dismiss kids if they aren't developing physically quick enough.

We're very possibly in agreement but I'd like to think parents aren't that difficult to convince about the pitfalls registering their kids with either club. We're certainly very fortunate to have the like of Gerry Britton, who can draw on his own personal background, doing the persuading.

I think a lot of it could be summed up in three ways:

• parents trying to live their life through their kids and therefore encouraging them to join an OF team
  • parents wanting to be billy (or paddy) big baws in the pub and be able to brag to their mates that their kid plays for an OF team
  • kids wanting to be billy (or paddy) big baws at school and choosing the short term prestige (sic) of playing for the OF as opposed of the long term career prospects of playing at a different academy

Not sevco bashing for the sake of it, and I'm quoting one of their own followers, but the Rangers/sevco youth policy could be renamed Lewis MacLeod.

I can understand the draw the ugly sisters have on parents but as a parent myself I think you'd have to be convinced your kid was very highly talented to farm the lad off to either club, even if you are a lifetime fan yourself. As it is one club ain't turning out talent and the other, mainly thru "over subscription", apparently quick to dismiss kids if they aren't developing physically quick enough.

We're very possibly in agreement but I'd like to think parents aren't that difficult to convince about the pitfalls registering their kids with either club. We're certainly very fortunate to have the like of Gerry Britton, who can draw on his own personal background, doing the persuading.

Both clubs in question have developed good players but with both clubs competing against one another and always looking over their shoulders for one another they are never brave enough to play these boys.

With the facilities and money at their disposal over the years they should have a much better record of youth development.

Players can slip the net at all clubs and development is different for each individual player.

It's more than just the coaching and other factors need to be right for a player to come through

The lad McLean from St Mirren who went to Aberdeen was with Aberdeen's youth system before Rangers bought him with Celtic also desperate for his signature.

He then is played out of position when he makes the move and isn't enjoying his football

He eventually is allowed to leave but he is not to sign for the rivals (Celtic or Aberdeen) and ends up at St Mirren where his career kicks on again.

It doesn't always work out even if it's where the boy and his parents want him to be and pro youth is a bit of a lottery.

Both old firm clubs are scared they miss someone and cast their nets far and wide to try and get the best out there and always usually after the same players.

A player will develop best when he is enjoying his football and in an enviroment that allows him to do this and even better when he has a chance of progressing through to the first team.

This is when you rule out the old firm for me.

Edited by billko

Both clubs in question have developed good players but with both clubs competing against one another and always looking over their shoulders for one another they are never brave enough to play these boys.

With the facilities and money at their disposal over the years they should have a much better record of youth development.

Players can slip the net at all clubs and development is different for each individual player.

It's more than just the coaching and other factors need to be right for a player to come through

The lad McLean from St Mirren who went to Aberdeen was with Aberdeen's youth system before Rangers bought him with Celtic also desperate for his signature.

He then is played out of position when he makes the move and isn't enjoying his football

He eventually is allowed to leave but he is not to sign for the rivals (Celtic or Aberdeen) and ends up at St Mirren where his career kicks on again.

It doesn't always work out even if it's where the boy and his parents want him to be and pro youth is a bit of a lottery.

Both old firm clubs are scared they miss someone and cast their nets far and wide to try and get the best out there and always usually after the same players.

A player will develop best when he is enjoying his football and in an enviroment that allows him to do this and even better when he has a chance of progressing through to the first team.

This is when you rule out the old firm for me.

Could mention a rather well known Rikki Fulton sketch, but won't. :)

Most certainly agree with you, billko