stillresigned

Well if they add on FTP then they are making it a bigots song so you've undermined your argument with that. The difference is in the context of the song which is obviously going on about how the two sides of the cheeks hate each other. In the current climate though, since some folk seem to dim to see that, I'd be happy if Jags fans voluntarily gave that up (or maybe changed the words slightly (so F*** off with all your religious sh***??)

Re the Saville song - yeah that is sick but let's make it clear - no more than a handful of idiots tried to get that going. It's not and never has been a jags song and I'd hope the majority of jags fans will shout that one down if they try to come out with it again.

However this all seems to me to be deflection from guys who seem to be wanting to defend the actions of a LARGE number of fans of one club. They claim it's a minority that sing the bigoted songs but the minority seems to be in 1000s sometimes and their other support seems never to try to shut them up.

Completely agree, I thought long and hard about posting on this issue and decided that to say nothiNG would be tantamount to condoning this behaviour.

Let's get this,straight ian over 35 years of coming to Firhill and travelling to support Thistle I have never ever encountered anything that would equate with what we were treated to on Saturday night. That's not to say we!re perfect, that's a silly statement.

In addition this wonderful practise of whataboutery and deflection whenever Rangers are criticised is intellectually vacuous and untenable. The whole notion that the'Hello, Hello' song was in any way sectarian is risible and was always a red herring.

It's only going to continue if the 'powers that be' continue to pretend it didn't happen...

Grow a backbone. Dock them points, or any team whose fans do it, and it'll stop. Do nothing and it will continue.

If Thistle fans did this, I'd accept points docked as it has no place in modern society and certainly no place at a football match, which is meant to be enjoyed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31602715

Well if they add on FTP then they are making it a bigots song so you've undermined your argument with that. The difference is in the context of the song which is obviously going on about how the two sides of the cheeks hate each other. In the current climate though, since some folk seem to dim to see that, I'd be happy if Jags fans voluntarily gave that up (or maybe changed the words slightly (so F*** off with all your religious sh***??)

I certainly ain't the one who started anything to do with religion!! And never posted anything to do with religion.

And as for undermining anything read my post before trying to be a smart barsteward.

So let's try again shall we what is the difference between a gypsy, orange and f*nian barsteward? Every single thistle fan that sang a wee gypsy barsteward towards dougie imrie are just as much total bigots than the ugly sisters who sing bigoted songs.

Think we need to get our own side in order before casting the stone towards others.

And as for being DIM as you put it, just cos you wear a thistle scarf don't give you the right to shout FTP or FTQ. So if you cannot see that it is bigoted to shout it, then you are the DIM one.

Completely agree, I thought long and hard about posting on this issue and decided that to say nothiNG would be tantamount to condoning this behaviour.

Let's get this,straight ian over 35 years of coming to Firhill and travelling to support Thistle I have never ever encountered anything that would equate with what we were treated to on Saturday night. That's not to say we!re perfect, that's a silly statement.

In addition this wonderful practise of whataboutery and deflection whenever Rangers are criticised is intellectually vacuous and untenable. The whole notion that the'Hello, Hello' song was in any way sectarian is risible and was always a red herring.

Take your tainted classes off for fux sake. Calling someone a gypsy barsteward is no different to calling someone a black barsteward, a Jew barsteward ect. It is all despicable, but I didn't see you on here shouting all the thistle fans down who were singing it. Get a life, if it is one rule for them it should also be the same rule for us.

Our fans are not holier than thou, but the way you go on about the old firm you would think we are all saints in the thistle family, lol

Sectarian exclusion or supremacy and racial exclusion or supremacy are different issues.

Devotion to a diety and interpretation of its' teachings on how to form a society and live one's life and their loyalty to a pope, queen or any other spiritual, cultural or political leader is still a relevant and debateable issue.

That those of a different race are lesser humans and deserving of ridicule is not.

That those who decide f*ck debating either issue at a football match are deemed to be part of the problem is the product of fascism.

I'm not anti-sectarian, I am anti-racism.

Non sectarian would be a more apt description of my footballing mindset. As for racism at the big match, Non-sense.

It's only going to continue if the 'powers that be' continue to pretend it didn't happen...

Grow a backbone. Dock them points, or any team whose fans do it, and it'll stop. Do nothing and it will continue.

If Thistle fans did this, I'd accept points docked as it has no place in modern society and certainly no place at a football match, which is meant to be enjoyed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31602715

Spot on GPT. A 10 point penalty every time their fans or indeed any fans belt out these songs. At Ibrox that would probably mean relegation after 3/4 games

Edited by Lindau

Take your tainted classes off for fux sake. Calling someone a gypsy barsteward is no different to calling someone a black barsteward, a Jew barsteward ect. It is all despicable, but I didn't see you on here shouting all the thistle fans down who were singing it. Get a life, if it is one rule for them it should also be the same rule for us. Our fans are not holier than thou, but the way you go on about the old firm you would think we are all saints in the thistle family, lol

Clyde fans are really Gypsies?? You're either a windup merchant or have no idea how to differentiate between a joke song and songs which everyone in Scotland knows are an expression of genuine hate and often go hand in hand with violence.

Are you just going to keep searching for a sectarian/racist/offensive song until someone agrees with you?

Yet again narrow minded Thistle fans who are obsessed with Rangers and yet seem to ignore the content of our own songs

The offended really need to get life and realise it is only songs - like mentioned above no difference between Gypsy this Orange this or ****** this - if anyone bothered they would see the definition of the word ****** is not anti catholic but more the term used to describe

Brotherhood - yet again CHEAP and very UNDIGNIFIED by forum members on this site yet again

Our Hello Hello song is anti-sectarian and I don't object to it, but while that's obvious to me, it is the sort of thing that people are bound to twist and get you into trouble. But I'd rather be in trouble than be a bigot, so no big deal.

Any song about Jimmy Saville these days is pretty sick, regardless of who it's sung to.

Using the term Gypsy in a derogatory way is, in my view, racist. The fact that Clyde fans are, in the majority, not actually Gyspsies, is irrelevant. We don't call them that as a compliment and it's clear that we are using the stereotypes of that race/culture to imply something negative, and I don't think that is as innocent as we'd all like to think.

I don't know what H*n means that could be derogatory, other than "Rangers fan", but am happy to be educated on this one.

Edited by allyo

Yet again narrow minded Thistle fans who are obsessed with Rangers and yet seem to ignore the content of our own songs

The offended really need to get life and realise it is only songs - like mentioned above no difference between Gypsy this Orange this or ****** this - if anyone bothered they would see the definition of the word ****** is not anti catholic but more the term used to describe

Brotherhood - yet again CHEAP and very UNDIGNIFIED by forum members on this site yet again

We are all used to their songs about ****** blood etc, no shock value in that. Think the addition of the word 'black' is what a lot of people found to be a new low.

However, if we are all to listen to you then it's just a song and it should be accepted.

Not sure who has said the word ****** was anti-catholic, you are correct, ****** does not mean catholic. What is anti-catholic though, is singing 'No pope of Rome........no nuns and no priests.....'. Just a song though so it's ok.

Thistle fans are always singing songs similar to this at football matches??!! Not that I know of.

I've never sung or advocated singing songs about Gypsies,however once again it's reqally an attempt at deflection. I would expect all Jags fans ( and all decent people) would condemn any group singing about 'Black ****** B*'stards',

I would hope so too. But I think we're pretty united on that one. The Gypsy one is closer to home and for whatever reason seems to be considered more acceptable, not just within the Thistle support but within society generally. I just don't really see how it's all that different. And the fact that Clyde aren't actually Gypsies (though they were travelling folk) doesn't make any difference to me.

Let's say a football club had some connection with some black culture stereotype. Hard to make an example without being racist, but go with me. Would that make it okay to call their fans (regardless of colour) "black b******"? Of course it wouldn't. Same applies.

I bet I've lost everyone.

Our Hello Hello song is anti-sectarian and I don't object to it, but while that's obvious to me, it is the sort of thing that people are bound to twist and get you into trouble. But I'd rather be in trouble than be a bigot, so no big deal.

Any song about Jimmy Saville these days is pretty sick, regardless of who it's sung to.

Using the term Gypsy in a derogatory way is, in my view, racist. The fact that Clyde fans are, in the majority, not actually Gyspsies, is irrelevant. We don't call them that as a compliment and it's clear that we are using the stereotypes of that race/culture to imply something negative, and I don't think that is as innocent as we'd all like to think.

I don't know what H*n means that could be derogatory, other than "Rangers fan", but am happy to be educated on this one.

A Celtic fan was convicted of religiously aggravated Breach of the Peace at Glasgow Sheriff Court in 2008 for wearing a T-Shirt with a message including the H*n word. The Fiscal apparently argued that Rangers were perceived as Protestant.

Seems a bizarre decision - my definition of a "H*n" would be "a bigoted Rangers Fan".

I'm not sure that there is much of a religious element in the "Sectarian" singing - I don't think these guys are really having arguments about the interpretation of the Scriptures..it's just Green & Blue Tribalism. As a Non-Believer with little time for Royalty, I know I'm supporting the right football team.

Edited by Winter of '63
  • Like 3

It is not against the law to be anti catholic hence why Protestantism exists

Upto your knees in ...... ????

Let's look at similar wording in French National Anthem

"

In the countryside, do you hear

The roaring of these fierce soldiers?

They come right to our arms

To slit the throats of our sons, our friends!

Refrain

Grab your weapons, citizens!

Form your batallions!

Let us march! Let us march!

May impure blood

Water our fields!

Is there so much difference ?

It is not against the law to be anti catholic hence why Protestantism exists

Upto your knees in ...... ????

Let's look at similar wording in French National Anthem

"

In the countryside, do you hear

The roaring of these fierce soldiers?

They come right to our arms

To slit the throats of our sons, our friends!

Refrain

Grab your weapons, citizens!

Form your batallions!

Let us march! Let us march!

May impure blood

Water our fields!

Is there so much difference ?

I give up!

I've known plenty of Rangers supporters who've referred to themselves as H*ns, so I in all honesty can't see it as anymore sectarian than Tim. As usual it's those who are often sectarian themselves who make a big song and dance of their wounded sensitivity.

Is Tim offensive? Like, to anyone. I really don't know the rules when it comes to all that schyte

I've known plenty of Rangers supporters who've referred to themselves as H*ns, so I in all honesty can't see it as anymore sectarian than Tim. As usual it's those who are often sectarian themselves who make a big song and dance of their wounded sensitivity.

Ha ha hahaha ha ha ha . I think it is YOU that usually makes a big song and dance "as you put it " about certain people singing songs.

As I have said before, never in my life have I been offended about anything someone was singing at a football game. You certainly seem obsessed about them!

As for the word h.un... I do nt believe any fan would call themselves a h.un. Just to clear thinks up, it doesn't mean rangers fans, if it did why would the other lot sing go home you h.uns, to hearts, killie and Motherwell? And also call them h.un barstewards? H.un is a derogatory remark for a Protestant.

Get a grip, Rangers fans calling themselves h*ns, and compare it the same as Tims in terms of how offensive it is? FFS are you serious?

Anyway you started a thread on racial abuse by Rangers fans of that upstanding citizen Stan Collymore

Those ears of yours didn't hear that at all did they?

It really is an unhealthy thing you have got going with Rangers and you should just let it go and move on.