stillresigned

I had the dubious pleasure of watching Raith Rovers V Sevco on Friday evening on BT Sports. In all my years of watching football and having to put up with the horrid bile that emerges from the mouths of that support, eleven I was shocked as they sang almost for the whole game that Stan Collymore was ' a Black ****** B*stard"

Unfortunately for their many apologists it was crystal clear and unlike one caller to 'Off the Ball' I doubt that accusatioNs that BT turned their mikes up just to catch a minority singing will bear even the scrutiny of Chick Dung.

Even the most fervent Sevco fan, aka my father, must acknowledge that racist and sectarian chanting is unacceptable in 21st Century, in fact anywhere for that matter. In addition, whether Collymore eats babies or not is irrelevant.

The football authorities must institute severe sanctions on 'ra peepil' or else they are guilty of bringing our game, for what's left into disrepute.

This sort of behaviour from our friends inGovan has been going on for years and nothing at all has been done about it apart from the usual handwringing and pious platitudes. To be honest such was my disgust on Friday evening that if nothing is done, again it'll put me off going to football matches in this country.

Finally, the first person to reply talking about Celtic will be outed as a bigot as this has absolutely nothing to do with them much as I dislike them.

In the mainstream Scottish media the normative framing of any debate is to mention Celtic or in extremis someone else, whenever Rangers/Sevco are accused of anything, I really hope Jags fans are above that.

After reading that again it really is a total load of shite you are spouting

"They sang for almost the whole game (fictional racial abuse) that Stan Collymore was a black *******"

Now did they leave any time for some sectarian singing along with this fictional racial abuse as i'm sure this would have put you over the edge

You say if nothing is done you will stop going to games?

Nothing will be done on the racial abuse because it didn't happen so no more games for you.

This thread was just another chance for you to have a go at Rangers and hoping to get get wee "likes" from obsessers just like yourself

Don't tell me you dislike Celtic just as much either, as just like the accusation you made on the racist chanting that's another lie.

Edited by billko

I agree Bilko - clowns on this forum are obsessed with Rangers and always looking to have a cheap and pathetic wee dig at them - laughable it is - talk about green eyed monsters

Too far! Regardless of any arguments over bigotry and sectarianism, I will always defend my right to have a cheap and pathetic wee dig at Rangers. (Or whatever they're called)

It is difficult to accept that some people cast aspersions on your 'true' support because you criticise Rangers and not Celtic with the same breath. Unfortunately, that is the way The debate is framed in normative terms I the West of Scotland.. I'm don't intend to post further on this subject as I see we are getting to an impasse where only ad hominem insults are likely to be the end product?

clowns on this forum are obsessed with Rangers and always looking to have a cheap and pathetic wee dig at them - laughable it is - talk about green eyed monsters

Include me out, I ain't finished just yet.

I've been having wee digs at them on a regular basis for around three years now. I very much doubt the powers that be will miraculously discover some panacea that will dramatically extend my lifespan. On that basis I'm not going to live long enough to cover the 50 plus years I've had to suffer cheap and pathetic sectarian driven digs from "them" and their equally nauseous counterparts.

I don't have the energy or the inclination to cram the remaining 47 years worth of "wee digs" into some sort of manageable timespan but I certainly don't feel like giving up just now. Everyone, apart from those who have profited from bigotry, who have been brought up in the West of Scotland has had the quality of their lives lowered by sectarianism. Some closer to it will be too thick to realise that. Some will even believe bigotry and sectarianism are an accepted way of life but ignorance is simply an excuse to allow intolerance.

So, "clown" or not, until told not to do it on here I'll continue with cheap wee digs at sevco, rangers or whatever they're called. My only regret is we don't have the same ammunition to fire at the other arse cheek.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 3

Who have been brought up in the West of Scotland has had the quality of their lives lowered by sectarianism

Ridiculous comment !!! On Facebook a jags page someone claimed that he refused someone membership to the group who had loyal this and pride of ..... Friends and pages - Believe it or not and like it or not - there are plentiful Thistle fans who are loyalists !!!

Let's say, just for a laugh, that we cut out the sectarian singing,

We're still left with the situation that these medieval misfits can't go to a game of football without being all British about it or all Irish about it, can't go to a game of football without being all Protestant about it or all Catholic about it. What is wrong with them? Really? What is their fckn problem? Why can't they just go to a game of football and support their team ?

• Like 5

Who have been brought up in the West of Scotland has had the quality of their lives lowered by sectarianism

Ridiculous comment !!!

Are you being serious? Do you honestly believe that? Do you not pay pay council tax/rates/income tax? Maybe you just believe sectarianism is two disparaging groups of otherwise upstanding citizens that call the other group names and make funny faces at them. Who pays for the policing, hospitalisation etc? How many of us will have been overlooked for jobs, promotion?

Ridiculous comment !!! On Facebook a jags page someone claimed that he refused someone membership to the group who had loyal this and pride of ..... Friends and pages - Believe it or not and like it or not - there are plentiful Thistle fans who are loyalists !!!

Have you got any views on how Thistle are playing just now? Just about all your posts on this Forum seem to be about Rangers.

Are you Bilko in disguise? I don't think so because he can make coherent posts and has commented on Thistle's performances.

• Like 1

Sometimes you have to be an adult and admit that you may have misheard something. Last night I met a mate, who is a Rangers supporter and definetly not a bigot or a racist and he convinced me that I had made a mistake in thinking Sevco supporters were singing about Black ****** B*stards when they where actually singing Wife BEATING b*stard. I thought It sounded like a typical Sevco deflection too. However after much thought, I've realised that I was wrong accusing them of the former chant. I apologise unreservedly to anyone who may have been offended and applaud the concern of Sevco fans for the victims of domestic àbuse.

By the way in the early nineteen eighties when I was at Glasgo Uni. one of the 'highlights' of the GUFC football calendar was the ànual h*ns v Tims football match. I don't remember any wounded feelings on the part of either Rangers or Celtic supporter, but being totally honest I'm embaresses by it now and was never totally comfortable with it then.

Edited by stillresigned
  • Like 1

Let's say, just for a laugh, that we cut out the sectarian singing,

We're still left with the situation that these medieval misfits can't go to a game of football without being all British about it or all Irish about it, can't go to a game of football without being all Protestant about it or all Catholic about it. What is wrong with them? Really? What is their fckn problem? Why can't they just go to a game of football and support their team ?

I share your bewilderment buddy.

However, If someone wants to be all British or Irish or protestant or roman catholic or muslim or hindu or jewish or ex-pat american mormon about following the football, that's their choice and to my mind thier entitlement. It is, to my mind, also their loss.

I am equally perplexed, more fearful and angered, by those who felt the need to express their "scottishness" during the referendum by producing "thistle" yes badges. Or promote the idea we are in any way a "politically progressive left leaning" group of fans or club.

Bilko is right about the hypocrisy amongst some of our followers. Leave the parochial pseudo football clubs to get on with it, they should have every right, but leave our club alone to get on with the important stuff.... :head_ball:

Keep Calm

and

Follow

The Thistle!

:fan:

• Like 1

What I found worrying was not the Thistle fans with yes badges but the demonstration in George Square after the referendum (the young girl getting the Saltire ripped from her hands) and the arson attack on the Herald building. The supporters of sevco2012 and sellick have an unhealthy tribal obsession with their own particular interpretation of Irish independence. There were strong arguments pro/anti independence but I hoped that a "yes" vote might have concentrated minds on trying to get this country to work for everyone and it might follow that supporters of the 2 erse cheeks would focus on matters closer to hand and over time lose the fixation with all the historical nonsense. I'm also for ditching the feck yer P&Q song, much as I used to love belting it out it has to be confined to room 101.

• Like 2

I've joined in our Hello Hello song countless times. I only do that because we sing F Yer pope and F Yer queen. Quite a difference, and therefore nothing other than total derision of actual bigotry.

I never sing it any more. Next time listen to the crowd and you'll hear far more "**** the..." instead of "**** your...".