stillresigned

Thing is the football clubs turned down the option of taking positive action as they were all scared that powers that were used against rangers could be used against them (e.g. I suppose if a few nutters in smaller teams came out with chants that someone could interpret as racist/sectarian - how about our Hullo song). Unless our clubs as a whole take responsibility there's unlikely to be any change.

http://www.dailyreco...own-sfa-1946579

At least my interpretation was they turned this down because they were worried how it would be used. I suppose there could be other reasons, like fear of offending a certain club and its supporters. I note from the article linked that 5% of clubs voted for more powers to tackle sectarianism. Was our club in that 5%?

I'm sure the authorities looked at our Hello Hello How Do You Do song, and it was deemed to be non-sectarian.

Nice sentiments, but I wish I could accept these views as being representative of the Rangers support as a whole. And again we have this minority argument, the only thing I can say that if this is a minority either at Hampden or Starks Park, then they undoubtedly have the loudest voices known to science..

I don't wish to be seen as having a go at Bilko Ashe always comes across as a decent guy, but quite frankly you can't run with the hares and hunt with the hounds.

• Like 1

Whoever John DC Gow is he makes some valid points however if he thinks it's a minority he is in cloud cuckoo land. Watched the LC Semi and it was non stop sectarianism from the Sevco end and to a lesser degree the other end. The chants at Kirkcaldy were an absolute disgrace. Chelsea, a club with a well known racist captain, came out immediately and banned the Paris cretins. Why is it so difficult for Sevco to take the bull by the horns and issue similar threats to their supporters. Simple really, the club would lose more than 50 % of their support!

I remember this "jags fan" in the JH giving Russel Latapy dogs abuse when he ran the show for Falkirk against us at Firhill in early 2004/05. I was just a boy at the time and it was pretty intimidating horrible experience. I don't think he used any racist abuse but it seemed that way as he was relentlessly shouting at the top of his lungs effing and blinding at Latapy. But Latapy could hear it all, it spurred him on cause he ripped us a new one that day. I was actually glad I thought on you go wee man.

I remember this too, one guy was giving him dogs abuse and although not overtly racist, it just felt nasty. And I remember thinking the exact same thing as you, well done Latapy for sticking it right up him.

As far as I'm concerned the media, through their silence, are complicit in the problem.

Hear, hear. Even when it is mentioned it's shrugged off as a minority.

• Like 1

I'm sure the authorities looked at our Hello Hello How Do You Do song, and it was deemed to be non-sectarian.

I just used that as an example of the top of my head as I remembered there was some discussion about it a while back. Also I've no way of knowing why the clubs refused vote more powers to deal with this, I'm just guessing. But it shows the lack of willingness amongst those with the power to do something to actually act.

I know about the legislation supposedly making this illegal but this is only ever enforced when it's a handful of guys doing it, if it's hundreds it's ignored. Possibly police afraid to start a riot and there is an argument that the legislation is badly thought out and could be used against non-sectarian, non-racist stuff which is just wind-up stuff and not really nasty.

Edited by Mr Bunny

My understanding of the SPFL rule is that, unlike the UEFA applied stance, it doesn't hold clubs responsible for the actions of its fans provided that "they are taking every reasonable step to deal with the behaviours or actions of those fans" (paraphrasing a wee bit here).

Herein lies the likely truth of the matter: not only are sevco taking no meaningful action against the Palaeolithic element of their support (nor have they ever taken any), but they palpably never will as long as our domestic governing body hides behind a rule that actually does give them some powers to act; but they evidently don't have the stomach or the inclination to do so.

I would like to see the plonkers at SPFL / SFA HQ openly challenged at the next available opportunity to demonstrate why they are evidently satisfied that Sevco is taking every reasonable measure to eliminate the caustic sectarian culture that runs through their organisation like the red writing through a stick of rock.

Our media friends could do much to highlight this but, as has been said or suggested above, they are, by their silence, just as complicit.

• Like 1

I had the dubious pleasure of watching Raith Rovers V Sevco on Friday evening on BT Sports. In all my years of watching football and having to put up with the horrid bile that emerges from the mouths of that support, eleven I was shocked as they sang almost for the whole game that Stan Collymore was ' a Black ****** B*stard"

http://www.dailyreco...harebar_twitter

Ach well, they'll be getting ready to receive their FIFA Fair Play Award for not being racist then.

Pity about the rest of the stuff.

I switched on to watch the second half on Friday and had to switch off after 10 minutes because it was so bad. Truly awful stuff.

It may have been the minority on Friday albeit a very vocal one but I can only guess that the remainder must condone it. Only explanation I can find for continuing to follow a team where that kind of vile chanting seems to be the norm.

• Like 1

The Scottish football authorities are unlikely to take action.

The Scottish media are reluctant to criticise one side alone, although kess reluctance from English media.

We as a society must complain to the broadcasters every time they bring the vile chanting into our homes via radio and tv.

• Like 1

Whether it is a minority or not, it is clearly audible on the TV/radio and it is clear where the illegal chants are coming from. If the club is unable to control it's supporters then the prescient (from UEFA) is that home games should be played behind closed doors (or an away fans ban for away games). If it is just a minority then that might prompt them into action to cut it out and it would hurt the club financially. There is also a clear case for banning TV coverage of Rangers games (and forfeiting TV revenue).

I would expect that these forum members would be happy with a 10 point deduction for our FTP and FTQ chants also ?????

We don't have such chants and never have. We have a song which tongue-in-cheek combines both chants into one as a GIRUY to both sets of bigots. That is a different thing. There could be an argument that the authorities might one day not accept the song for what it is but that's another matter.

If it were deemed bigoted - which as a poster above has said the authorities at present agree it is not - I would have expected our fans would have the sense to sing other stuff. In fact that song doesn't get sung as much as it used to.

We don't have such chants and never have. We have a song which tongue-in-cheek combines both chants into one as a GIRUY to both sets of bigots. That is a different thing. There could be an argument that the authorities might one day not accept the song for what it is but that's another matter. If it were deemed bigoted - which as a poster above has said the authorities at present agree it is not - I would have expected our fans would have the sense to sing other stuff. In fact that song doesn't get sung as much as it used to.

and the Jimmy Saville song sang at the Septic game ?????

I would expect that these forum members would be happy with a 10 point deduction for our FTP and FTQ chants also ?????

One of our better ditties and a favourite of mine for as long as I can remember. We're judging a song by its intent, and ours has clearly always been to intended to scoff at the very idea of sectarianism.

The Jimmy Saville stuff was pretty cringeworthy right enough.

That Jimmy Saville song is offensive and in poor taste because there are a lot of people and families affected by a horrible b@stard, not because it may offend the Sellik fans.

F*ck them. Couldn't care less if they are offended or not. I don't like the song, and don't sing it for the reasons above, not because the tims may be upset by it.

I said this a few weeks ago on here and no one could give a reasonable reply, so as this has reared it's head again on here.

What is the difference between a) a f*nian barsteward B) an orange barsteward and c) a wee gypsy barsteward.

The answer is nothing. They are all offensive and bigoted and I'm sure there are a right few on here who sang one of these offensive/ bigoted lines not so long ago at Firhill!

And as for some saying FTP and FTQ being sang by us is not offensive and bigoted, get real. It's the words that are offensive and bigoted not who it is directed to. Both sets of old firm fans have songs banned for add on being added into the, such as FTP and FTQ.

So if it has to be eradicated from scottish football all fans have to stop it, not just them!

• Like 1

I said this a few weeks ago on here and no one could give a reasonable reply, so as this has reared it's head again on here.

What is the difference between a) a f*nian barsteward B) an orange barsteward and c) a wee gypsy barsteward.

The answer is nothing. They are all offensive and bigoted and I'm sure there are a right few on here who sang one of these offensive/ bigoted lines not so long ago at Firhill!

And as for some saying FTP and FTQ being sang by us is not offensive and bigoted, get real. It's the words that are offensive and bigoted not who it is directed to. Both sets of old firm fans have songs banned for add on being added into the, such as FTP and FTQ.

So if it has to be eradicated from scottish football all fans have to stop it, not just them!

The song isn't sectarian though.

Ach well, they'll be getting ready to receive their FIFA Fair Play Award for not being racist then.

Pity about the rest of the stuff.

I switched on to watch the second half on Friday and had to switch off after 10 minutes because it was so bad. Truly awful stuff.

It may have been the minority on Friday albeit a very vocal one but I can only guess that the remainder must condone it. Only explanation I can find for continuing to follow a team where that kind of vile chanting seems to be the norm.

Tom the thread was about Rangers fans singing a RACIST song about Stan Collymore

Nobody is disputing the fact the sectarian singing is out of order and these folk will always let Rangers down until something is done.

My issue is with people who claim to have heard racial abuse or claim to be on the receiving end and get the headlines but when proved wrong nothing is done or said.

The damage is already done by the the false claim in the first place and they have got the negative headlines they crave.

Racial abuse is disgusting and no place for it in society never mind a sporting arena but it's also disgusting to falsely accuse people of racial abuse when they know it wasn't the case.

Edited by billko

Neither is simply the best, but that's banned for the add on of FTP being sang. So answer the question, what's the difference from them and us? ...nothing!!

There is no difference between us and the h.uns??!! Are you serious?

If so, there's no point in debating this.

Neither is simply the best, but that's banned for the add on of FTP being sang. So answer the question, what's the difference from them and us? ...nothing!!

Well if they add on FTP then they are making it a bigots song so you've undermined your argument with that. The difference is in the context of the song which is obviously going on about how the two sides of the cheeks hate each other. In the current climate though, since some folk seem to dim to see that, I'd be happy if Jags fans voluntarily gave that up (or maybe changed the words slightly (so F*** off with all your religious sh***??)

Re the Saville song - yeah that is sick but let's make it clear - no more than a handful of idiots tried to get that going. It's not and never has been a jags song and I'd hope the majority of jags fans will shout that one down if they try to come out with it again.

However this all seems to me to be deflection from guys who seem to be wanting to defend the actions of a LARGE number of fans of one club. They claim it's a minority that sing the bigoted songs but the minority seems to be in 1000s sometimes and their other support seems never to try to shut them up.