stillresigned

I had the dubious pleasure of watching Raith Rovers V Sevco on Friday evening on BT Sports. In all my years of watching football and having to put up with the horrid bile that emerges from the mouths of that support, eleven I was shocked as they sang almost for the whole game that Stan Collymore was ' a Black ****** B*stard"

Unfortunately for their many apologists it was crystal clear and unlike one caller to 'Off the Ball' I doubt that accusatioNs that BT turned their mikes up just to catch a minority singing will bear even the scrutiny of Chick Dung.

Even the most fervent Sevco fan, aka my father, must acknowledge that racist and sectarian chanting is unacceptable in 21st Century, in fact anywhere for that matter. In addition, whether Collymore eats babies or not is irrelevant.

The football authorities must institute severe sanctions on 'ra peepil' or else they are guilty of bringing our game, for what's left into disrepute.

This sort of behaviour from our friends inGovan has been going on for years and nothing at all has been done about it apart from the usual handwringing and pious platitudes. To be honest such was my disgust on Friday evening that if nothing is done, again it'll put me off going to football matches in this country.

Finally, the first person to reply talking about Celtic will be outed as a bigot as this has absolutely nothing to do with them much as I dislike them.

In the mainstream Scottish media the normative framing of any debate is to mention Celtic or in extremis someone else, whenever Rangers/Sevco are accused of anything, I really hope Jags fans are above that.

• Like 2

They should make it clear that if any of these songs reappear at any time, along with their usual sectarian bile, they will get a 10 pt penalty each time. Once they are relegated, cause let's face facts, they are never gonna stop unless they start getting punished, even the thickest of the Neanderthals might just get the message. The authorities have namby pambied about this club (old and new) for decades now, it's time they grew a pair and started punishing the club. Another thing that must be eradicated is this nonsense that it's a minority of supporters....my arse!

• Like 2

Absolutely spot on. Sectarianism will never be stamped out in Scottish football until SFA/SPFL take action; we need 'strict liabilty' as currently enforced by UEFA i.e. the club itself must be held directly accountable for the actions of the fans, and penalised accordingly. (Of course, given that the Scottish football establishment and media collaborated with Ranger's openly sectarian signing policy for so long, I'm not holding my breath)

I agree that sectarianism is almost the exclusive property of the OF but racism is still alive and well in Scottish society in general and you can bet that if a black player commits a bad foul on a Thistle player there would be plenty of shouts of "dirty black b*****d".

I've never understood what difference colour or race makes but I have been in the minority amongst my friends and workmates.Fortunately my son has no such prejudices and neither will his children.

I fear it will be a long time yet before racism is eliminated from the world in general.

I agree that sectarianism is almost the exclusive property of the OF but racism is still alive and well in Scottish society in general and you can bet that if a black player commits a bad foul on a Thistle player there would be plenty of shouts of "dirty black b*****d".

I've never understood what difference colour or race makes but I have been in the minority amongst my friends and workmates.Fortunately my son has no such prejudices and neither will his children.

I fear it will be a long time yet before racism is eliminated from the world in general.

I have never, ever heard this from a Thistle fan.

• Like 1

you can bet that if a black player commits a bad foul on a Thistle player there would be plenty of shouts of "dirty black b*****d".

:shocked:

wtf?

:blink:

really?

:thinking:

i mean, really, you being serious?????

without tarring two groups of humans with same broad brush, i will say only this:

1 ..... if you genuinely sat or stood with or near, and have heard such shouts, you should report them ..... and it must be a very small group of supporters who watch thistle separated from rest of support, as i have not heard such shouts for a long long time amongst any thistle supporters

2 ..... having had various experiences of far west coast culture (as from your location of mull of kintyre i presume you live there), it is true to say west coasters that who follow either side of the bigoted sectarian arse cheeks, are consistently a decade or two behind the times in many ways, so while it may be oft repeated language used in likes of the kilbrannan, burnside and ailsa bars, it is not from my experience or any of my friends i go to the games with.

:no:

eta: well said stillresigned, lindau and agentmancuso.

you can bet that if a black player commits a bad foul on a Thistle player there would be plenty of shouts of "dirty black b*****d".

Butter ollocks. Did a rogue jags fan not shout some sort of racial abuse at The Prince last season and he was shot down in flames for it? Not the sort of thing that is tolerated at our club....thankfully.

and you can bet that if a black player commits a bad foul on a Thistle player there would be plenty of shouts of "dirty black b*****d".

I seem to remember a black player committing a bad foul on a Jags player last month. There were absolutely NO shouts of a racist nature in my area of the JHS and I'm sure none elsewhere either.

Last season a very drunk bloke shouted out a racist comment to a Thistle player whilst sitting in the south side of JHS. He was sitting a few rows back from an injured Issac Osbourne. Several people shouted out in disgust against the drunk, and the police quickly took him away. My only occasion of hearing any racist language in the last decade.

Last season a very drunk bloke shouted out a racist comment to a Thistle player whilst sitting in the south side of JHS. He was sitting a few rows back from an injured Issac Osbourne. Several people shouted out in disgust against the drunk, and the police quickly took him away. My only occasion of hearing any racist language in the last decade.

Not sure if it's the same incident but my recollection is that it was aimed at Prince Bauben

In this day and age Neanderthals should be banned from football.

I remember this "jags fan" in the JH giving Russel Latapy dogs abuse when he ran the show for Falkirk against us at Firhill in early 2004/05. I was just a boy at the time and it was pretty intimidating horrible experience.

I don't think he used any racist abuse but it seemed that way as he was relentlessly shouting at the top of his lungs effing and blinding at Latapy. But Latapy could hear it all, it spurred him on cause he ripped us a new one that day. I was actually glad I thought on you go wee man.

Edited by Gingerjag
  • Like 1

Once again the media are very slow to condemn rangers, especially as they are unable to condemn the other side of the double act for balance on this occasion.

BT sport take a presenter off air as he has the gall to criticise the people for racist and sectarian abuse, yet he is the one silenced.

A few weeks ago I watched the Australian Open Final and the commentators apologised when Andy Murray used an expletive.

Later the same day I, against my better judgement, watched the League Cup Semi-Final when I heard sectarian song after sectarian song. The singing of which, don't forget, is a criminal offence in this country.

Not a peep from the commentators over that but plenty of talk about the atmosphere at the game.

As far as I'm concerned the media, through their silence, are complicit in the problem.

• Like 2

I had the dubious pleasure of watching Raith Rovers V Sevco on Friday evening on BT Sports. In all my years of watching football and having to put up with the horrid bile that emerges from the mouths of that support, eleven I was shocked as they sang almost for the whole game that Stan Collymore was ' a Black ****** B*stard"

Unfortunately for their many apologists it was crystal clear and unlike one caller to 'Off the Ball' I doubt that accusatioNs that BT turned their mikes up just to catch a minority singing will bear even the scrutiny of Chick Dung.

Even the most fervent Sevco fan, aka my father, must acknowledge that racist and sectarian chanting is unacceptable in 21st Century, in fact anywhere for that matter. In addition, whether Collymore eats babies or not is irrelevant.

The football authorities must institute severe sanctions on 'ra peepil' or else they are guilty of bringing our game, for what's left into disrepute.

This sort of behaviour from our friends inGovan has been going on for years and nothing at all has been done about it apart from the usual handwringing and pious platitudes. To be honest such was my disgust on Friday evening that if nothing is done, again it'll put me off going to football matches in this country.

Finally, the first person to reply talking about Celtic will be outed as a bigot as this has absolutely nothing to do with them much as I dislike them.

In the mainstream Scottish media the normative framing of any debate is to mention Celtic or in extremis someone else, whenever Rangers/Sevco are accused of anything, I really hope Jags fans are above that.

Thing is the football clubs turned down the option of taking positive action as they were all scared that powers that were used against rangers could be used against them (e.g. I suppose if a few nutters in smaller teams came out with chants that someone could interpret as racist/sectarian - how about our Hullo song). Unless our clubs as a whole take responsibility there's unlikely to be any change.

http://www.dailyreco...own-sfa-1946579

At least my interpretation was they turned this down because they were worried how it would be used. I suppose there could be other reasons, like fear of offending a certain club and its supporters. I note from the article linked that 5% of clubs voted for more powers to tackle sectarianism. Was our club in that 5%?

Edited by Mr Bunny