Just In V St. Johnstone

The Sunnylaw Jag

The Great Unpredicables - I suppose it was predictable that just when we were fearing a Hibs-Like Freefall, the side controlled the game from the start and gave us a comfortable victory.

I wouldn't classify it an an exceptional display - we simply played to the form we are capable of but have failed to reach on too many occasions this season. Two simple early goals helped...we could have been four up within the first 15 minutes and I was worried that we might pay later for those two glaring misses. However we were helped by Saints playing as if they hadn't recovered from a night out with Scott Brown.

Big Osman returned to the form that made him look such a valuable team player earlier in the season, Balatoni had an impressive game, Frans improved on his recent laboured performances and Dools was very good, scoring a typical goal by drifting away from the defender and directing his header into the net.

Craigen & Stevenson were frustrating in opposite ways. Craigen hustled well in midfield and has boundless energy...however, he made several loose passes and can look lightweight . Stevenson can look very lackadaisical but has power in shooting and in the tackle and often threatens to do something special. However they both played their part in a better balanced team - it was a 4-3-3 formation today with the front three interchanging instead of having two wide men. It gave us the option of playing it long without just hoofing it. Credit to the managment who clearly put a lot of thought into the game plan...and to the players for carrying it out.

Banzo was outstanding, positive & composed. He made some incisive passes and hit a belter of a shot for the third goal.

Much as I enjoyed the performance and result, it did confirm that I suspect I will look back at this season as a lost opportunity. St Johnstone are the benchmark SPFL side, never better than dourly efficient but again likely to be top 6...I think we are a better footballing side than them.

• Like 3

The only player s bit weak today for me was craigen

It's amazing how we see games differently. He certainly wasn't a standout, but I think Craigen is actually a vital cog in the middle of the park. Before he came in, the midfield was looking laboured, now we are seeing Banzo and Abdul looking totally different players and I think a lot of that is down to the amount of work Craigen puts in. Anyway it was a fine performance by the team and although I wasn't at Tannadice, I was at Dingwall and no one can doubt the players have put a shift in, in the last three games, so maybe we can put the downed tools argument and Hibs freefall argument to bed. Still a bit of work to be done, but with 9 games left we are only 7 points away from equalling last years points total. I would have settled for that scenario at the start of the season!! Well done to the manager as well, he got the tactics spot on today and remember that the side we were playing today visited Glasgow just over a week ago and beat the mighty Sellik, and quite comfortably by all accounts!

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

It's amazing how we see games differently. He certainly wasn't a standout, but I think Craigen is actually a vital cog in the middle of the park. Before he came in, the midfield was looking laboured, now we are seeing Banzo and Abdul looking totally different players and I think a lot of that is down to the amount of work Craigen puts in. Anyway it was a fine performance by the team and although I wasn't at Tannadice, I was at Dingwall and no one can doubt the players have put a shift in, in the last three games, so maybe we can put the downed tools argument and Hibs freefall argument to bed. Still a bit of work to be done, but with 9 games left we are only 7 points away from equalling last years points total. I would have settled for that scenario at the start of the season!! Well done to the manager as well, he got the tactics spot on today and remember that the side we were playing today visited Glasgow just over a week ago and beat the mighty Sellik, and quite comfortably by all accounts!

I don't want to make too much of Craigen I just thought over the 90 he was the least effective of the midfield 5 not that he was a disaster....can't help feeling some gym work to build his upper body strength would help him

If only we could work out how to play like that every week !

As a far away supporter I am delighted with this win given that my home was in Perth before moving to foreign lands and sun, and also given that I was home and at the dreadful Ross county game where we lost 3 - 1, I went away from that one wondering if we were in freefall but thankfully this was just the tonic needed, can our hero's please now go and win next Saturday as well just to give us back to back wins for the first time this season - mon ra Jag's

Yesterday reinforced just how important it is to this team, to score first. Off the top of my head I think we have scored first in every game we have won this season whereas I can hardly remember picking up anything when we have lost the first goal (Hamilton away)

Anyone else read Tommy Wright's post match comments?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31889149

Aye ok Tommy so your keeper only had 1 save to make. What about the 3 he didn't make, and the one off the post! Your team had 2 attempts on goal in 90 minutes. Anyone remember the penalty claim he says could have changed the game? I've no memory of St Johnstone players appealing for anything.

Yesterday reinforced just how important it is to this team, to score first. Off the top of my head I think we have scored first in every game we have won this season whereas I can hardly remember picking up anything when we have lost the first goal (Hamilton away)

3-1 win over Caley we were 1 down. Only game we've won from behind this season.

• Like 1

Anyone else read Tommy Wright's post match comments?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31889149

Aye ok Tommy so your keeper only had 1 save to make. What about the 3 he didn't make, and the one off the post! Your team had 2 attempts on goal in 90 minutes. Anyone remember the penalty claim he says could have changed the game? I've no memory of St Johnstone players appealing for anything.

A bit Alex Totten like after we beat his Falkirk side 5-1 many years back and he came out and said "aye but we had more corners than them"

Edited by Lindau

Not really in yet but getting there. On the train to Wemyss Bay then a boat to Rothesay and I will be. Great performance today. Bannigan played well on the left and was very positive and worth his goal. Not sure who was upfront as Stevenson and Dools switched about a lot. Solid all round performance. Defence looked good too.

Bute or Argyle? :crazy::rolleyes:

Seriously - great and unexpectedly good result particularly given my personal pessimism as regards the strength of St Johnstone's defence recently.

Due to intoxication I decided to wait until today for my comments, but tommy wrights comments are laughable as we could easily been 5 up at half time. Doolans one on one stevesons shot off the post and another chance he missed all in the first 45 mins. Was tommy shutting his eyes between goals?

Anyway Great unexpected performance and I think Archie got his tactics spot on this week so credit to him.

However without repeating the comments above I'm surprised at the lack of mentioning of willie collum, from my viewpoint I counted 7 bookable fouls from st Johnstone including the sending off of Davidson for a ridiculous basketball-esque handball, and despite Brian Eastons handball coming just BEFORE the final whistle, the ball was still in play. Sorry willie I assume the sfa have told u to reduce ur card count but if ur doing that by ignoring these things then maybe he should just be dropped from reffing for a few games as today's performance was ridiculous. The card counts of one booking each is a disgrace and compare that to last weeks card count from us shows the level of inconsistency from refs that drives fans radio rental.

However without repeating the comments above I'm surprised at the lack of mentioning of willie collum, from my viewpoint I counted 7 bookable fouls from st Johnstone including the sending off of Davidson for a ridiculous basketball-esque handball, and despite Brian Eastons handball coming just BEFORE the final whistle, the ball was still in play. Sorry willie I assume the sfa have told u to reduce ur card count but if ur doing that by ignoring these things then maybe he should just be dropped from reffing for a few games as today's performance was ridiculous. The card counts of one booking each is a disgrace and compare that to last weeks card count from us shows the level of inconsistency from refs that drives fans radio rental.

I didn't actually think Collum had a bad game yesterday. There weren't any major decisions to make so that probably helped. He should have given Davidson a 2nd yellow for the blatant handball, but given we were 3 up in stoppage time when it happened it didn't affect the game. Having seen him ref us 3 times over the last few weeks it's obvious he's become card shy since the SFA sat him down, and that's probably a good thing. Before that he was far too quick to get the cards out.

Bute or Argyle? :crazy::rolleyes: Seriously - great and unexpectedly good result particularly given my personal pessimism as regards the strength of St Johnstone's defence recently.

Don't want you getting too excited but it was the Argyle. I also bought a small book on Scottish Ferries in the wee shop in Wemyss Bay Station before the game. It was a bit of a trek travelling by trains and boats and buses (Good name for a song that) but well worth it.

The other good thing about Bannigan yesterday was that his tenacity was back as he made a good few tackles that he seemed to be avoiding in recent matches. Maybe his career isn't over.

• Like 2

I didn't actually think Collum had a bad game yesterday. There weren't any major decisions to make so that probably helped. He should have given Davidson a 2nd yellow for the blatant handball, but given we were 3 up in stoppage time when it happened it didn't affect the game. Having seen him ref us 3 times over the last few weeks it's obvious he's become card shy since the SFA sat him down, and that's probably a good thing. Before that he was far too quick to get the cards out.

Whilst I agree it didn't affect the game much, yellow and red cards lead to suspensions so if he continues his card shy attitude in other games with teams around us it indirectly does affect us. To go from being card happy to completely card-less ( is that a word?) is just as bad in my opinion. However just a minor point in an otherwise great day yesterday.

Well done jags.

We were.

Howzabout those that are trying to make a point, about our inability to turn around a game when we lose a goal first, do some research? Are we away out here on our own? Or are we similar to other bottom six sides in that respect?

The only point being made was that when we score first we rarely lose (fact) and when we don't score first we usually get beat or draw (fact)

The only point being made was that when we score first we rarely lose (fact) and when we don't score first we usually get beat or draw (fact)

And I was, albeit in ignorance, wondering if we're exceptional or is this not just the norm? For clubs at our level. Obviously Celtic, Aberdeen etc will turn games around that's why they're on top of the league.

• Like 1

I couldn't make it to the game but from reading through the posts here, it seems Bannigan was an absolute stand out, and ran the game. It would be great if he could kick on and do that for us a few more times between now and the end of the season. One of the many mysteries about this (mostly fairly shite) season following us, is how Bannigan (and Fraser, and Higgy) have all been so far off form. Maybe they've all been affecting each other - and maybe we might have turned a corner yesterday.

Anyway, fantastic win, and I'm looking fw to an hour of highlights on Alba later!

I couldn't make it to the game but from reading through the posts here, it seems Bannigan was an absolute stand out, and ran the game. It would be great if he could kick on and do that for us a few more times between now and the end of the season. One of the many mysteries about this (mostly fairly shite) season following us, is how Bannigan (and Fraser, and Higgy) have all been so far off form. Maybe they've all been affecting each other - and maybe we might have turned a corner yesterday.

Anyway, fantastic win, and I'm looking fw to an hour of highlights on Alba later!

Bannigan is finished didn't you know?

At least he is according to some trumpet on this forum.

• Like 1