Scotland-Nornirn

Albert's Ghost

I only heard of the boy today, but if there is any chance he could be good, and Real Madrid wouldn't have him on their books if there wasn't, we need him buying into the Scotland team. If the story about Spain being interested is true, it could be a big mistake.

Also, I had thought the days of big lad up front in youth football were gone. Oh well.

I only heard of the boy today, but if there is any chance he could be good, and Real Madrid wouldn't have him on their books if there wasn't, we need him buying into the Scotland team. If the story about Spain being interested is true, it could be a big mistake. Also, I had thought the days of big lad up front in youth football were gone. Oh well.

He's actually appeared for Scotland under-16s and under-17s. So he's not a completely new player on the scene. The other thing is the reason given for not picking him is that he wants to play a more physical game with big players and Harper is 6 feet tall. Finally the point of youth teams is to develop players. You want wins if you can get them as that helps with confidence which is important. But it shouldn't be at the expense of developing the football abilities of the team and I don't believe going down the route of physicality will do that. (Hard working yes but with a skilful approach). It's not a one off game - it's pool for a group where we'll play three teams so I'd add that he ought to be considering more than one style in case plan A doesn't pan out.

Of course the media may have the wrong end of the stick but he didn't help himself with his comments which were easily made to sound poor.

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 1

I don´t think the Spanish Under-19 league competition is strong enough to give us a real judgement about the boy, as it´s divided in 7 regional groups. Real only play teams within the municipality of Madrid.

But it is in the Under-19 Champions League competition where the boy has proved he´s quality and can score goals. Sbragia is in his right not to pick him but it´s a disgrace when he says he´s not watched him enough. Lack of funds from SFA? Lack of wanting to catch a flight to Madrid? He simply looks like staying in a comfort zone.

If he has the chance to play for Spain then he should do it.

Dinosaurs still run our game here and he will develop into a much better football player staying where he is.

Perhaps a bit unfair on the older dinosaurs. In years gone by, decades ago, the lad would likely have been checked out thoroughly. True whoever checked him out would've been accompanied to Madrid by an "SFA Blazer" (no doubt some vice chairman from a club the likes of Albion Rovers or Stirling Albion). A two or three night stay in a top hotel, wining and dining on exies would've been in order. Perhaps air travel, having advanced to now being relatively easy to return the same day, is responsible for any "negligence"?

• Like 1

We should take a look. At under 19 level we should be taking chances, trying the boys out and get them used to the idea of wanting to represent Scotland. If they don't develop, we won't lose out on much.

That being said, didn't we have the captain of a Barcelona youth team on our books just a minute ago?

It's the wording the coach uses that annoys me describing him as a"luxury player" and would rather go with taller stronger players and runners.

The fact the boy is at Madrid tells me he must be decent and the fact he is 6ft tall but not tall enough for what the coach is looking for tells me he isn't the most physical of players and isn't the "runner" he is looking to have throughout his team

A team of large athletic type robots seems to be the way this coach wants to play, but why not build a team of these type of players around a talented technical player and a player we really struggle to produce in this country these days.

Surely it's good to have something different and something that might produce some good football to watch.

It's still a very long way to go for this boy in making it at the highest level but we should be encouraging this type of player into our national set up rather than making silly statements as to why he isn't involved.

Good result for us last night, never watched it but heard we were all over them. Good stuff when you consider they are top or near top of their group.

Ricky Sbragia though, think he has made an arse of that one, with the comments and leaving him out of the team. I think the guys fathers comments are spot on though.

We should take a look. At under 19 level we should be taking chances, trying the boys out and get them used to the idea of wanting to represent Scotland. If they don't develop, we won't lose out on much.

That being said, didn't we have the captain of a Barcelona youth team on our books just a minute ago?

And the captain of Chelsea reserves not that long ago.

Would it be best for Scotland and Jack if he was to play for Spain U19 and U21 to get the benefit of the coaching there, then snap him up when he is ready for a full international

And the captain of Chelsea reserves not that long ago. Would it be best for Scotland and Jack if he was to play for Spain U19 and U21 to get the benefit of the coaching there, then snap him up when he is ready for a full international

Yep and having been given the cold shoulder he'll jump at the chance to play for us? OK so Spain are likely to have so many better players than us he may never be good enough for them - but if he turned out to be, then chances are he'd prefer to play for them after getting the bum' rush from us. Besides part of football development is getting players accustomed to the set up and the way we play (looks like this isn't happening now Wotte has gone and coaches of youth teams are going to play systems which suit them getting results and looking good (superficially) rather than developing the players.

If he has the chance to play for Spain then he should do it.

Dinosaurs still run our game here and he will develop into a much better football player staying where he is.

I dont think Dinosaurs is the best word to use to describe them. I would rather use Ar$eholes, W@nkers, Idiots or something along similar lines.

Difficult one this. So you stick to the "pure football" principles and develop the young players along the right lines but lose every game . Chances are the coach gets the boot. It's easy to say results are not important at that level but how else do you measure progress.Think you have play according to your strengths and the opposition.Not so long ago Archie was getting pelters for not mixing it up.

Difficult one this. So you stick to the "pure football" principles and develop the young players along the right lines but lose every game . Chances are the coach gets the boot. It's easy to say results are not important at that level but how else do you measure progress.Think you have play according to your strengths and the opposition.Not so long ago Archie was getting pelters for not mixing it up.

Archie isn't in charge of the various under 20s squads. If we follow your argument we'll have every youth coach packing defence and paying negative football to ensure their teams don't have bad runs. Good for them? Maybe. For the players? No. We all know it's a judgement the coach has to make but he has to strike balance and it should always allow skill to be encouraged.

BTW since the first team squad plays a system that makes us hard to beat while allowing players to play good passing football I don't see why such a system shouldn't be played by the youth teams also.