Whenever You're Ready !

thornwoodjag

You could've warned us the article contained a photo of Neil Doncaster :puke:

I wouldn't be too surprised if the Polis Scotland involvement had something to do with sevco in the play offs. Trying to ensure that home matches are not clashing with those of the other cheek. Ironic as the prime reason for a 12 club league/split was to ensure the ugly sisters played against each other four times a season.

• Like 1

I actually really like the split. Ideally the fixtures would be more balanced but I think it is a good compromise. The run in last season for relegation and for Europe if I remember correctly was very exciting.

I think the article probably meant Motherwell's failure to make the top six rather than Hamilton's.

I actually really like the split. Ideally the fixtures would be more balanced but I think it is a good compromise. The run in last season for relegation and for Europe if I remember correctly was very exciting.

I think the article probably meant Motherwell's failure to make the top six rather than Hamilton's.

I understand what you mean about the (short term) excitement that the post-split part of the season can bring but it has done nothing to help the long term development of football. In my opinion larger leagues, playing each other twice, would allow teams who are lower mid-table at this point to start planning for next season free of the fear that the split brings. This in turn brings greater stability and a better chance of teams like us being able to grow. It is a long term strategy which Doncaster et al are terrified of implementing. Why change anything, it's all going so well. I've forgotten, who is sponsoring this exciting league?

• Like 2

Is it not Motherwell that have screwed things up? They must have been predicted to finish in the top 6 after finishing runners up last season.

The whole system is a farce. A league that can result in one team playing another 3 times at home and once away, as is going to happen this season, has got to be wrong.

I understand what you mean about the (short term) excitement that the post-split part of the season can bring but it has done nothing to help the long term development of football. In my opinion larger leagues, playing each other twice, would allow teams who are lower mid-table at this point to start planning for next season free of the fear that the split brings. This in turn brings greater stability and a better chance of teams like us being able to grow. It is a long term strategy which Doncaster et al are terrified of implementing. Why change anything, it's all going so well. I've forgotten, who is sponsoring this exciting league?

We could do without the split which is too artificial. The actual excitement is only recent and comes with having play-offs between SPL and Championship (hate these terms - Divs 1 and 2). I'm sure there were plenty of times in the past when the games post-split were meaningless, at least in the lower half. The top half always had the European places to go for.

Going back to the old no-split, no play-off days would result in meaningless end-of-season games which would see low crowds. The fact that there is still something to play for means something worth watching. The play-offs have been around for a while of course but they weren't available for the top league due to old Self Preservation League attitudes.

• Like 1

I don't really believe any delay in announcing the post split fixtures is that big a deal. As I see it not knowing who or when you're playing is the same for all clubs. The only folk that will suffer is us fans and we already know Doncaster doesn't give a **** about us. We don't see the bigger picture and not knowing when to arrange travel to the likes of Dingwall is just trivial. Hardly Armageddon.

For all that I'd like to be safe and comfortable, I think that without the split/play-off etc Saturday's crowd vs Motherwell could have easily been 2,000 lower. That's maybe about 40,000 less in the pot. Hard to argue with.

For all that I'd like to be safe and comfortable, I think that without the split/play-off etc Saturday's crowd vs Motherwell could have easily been 2,000 lower. That's maybe about 40,000 less in the pot. Hard to argue with.

Without the split, the Motherwell game might have been our last '6 pointer' of the season. As a much more significant tie, the crowd would probably have been greater.

With the split, the loss of revenue from a second home game against the bigger teams is a big financial hit.

I would argue that playing each club home and away once will reinvigorate football and boost crowds. But we might never know.

Anyway, looking forward to finding out who we will be playing at home, or away, for a third time. Yawn.

• Like 1

Well I'll have a go.

The only reason for the split is because it's a 12 team league. If we were in a larger league it would be the first and only time we'd be playing 'Well at home. Just about anybody I know who is disillusioned with Scottish football cites repetitive fixtures as a principal reason for not attending, not buying a season ticket, cherry-picking games etc. Not much point arguing specific figures but I'm sure our turnover would increase by considerably more than £40K, in fact many times over, if the league wasn't so incestuous.

The only other way the split could be done away with would be reverting to a ten team league, which doesn't bear thinking about. But even in that scenario it would be reasonable to assume, hypothetically at least, that a Jags v 'Well lower end of the league fixture would attract a decent size crowd. (Always assuming that what fans we've got hadn't been pissed off by then with the tediousness of repetitive fixtures. :) )

Without the split, the Motherwell game might have been our last '6 pointer' of the season. As a much more significant tie, the crowd would probably have been greater. With the split, the loss of revenue from a second home game against the bigger teams is a big financial hit. I would argue that playing each club home and away once will reinvigorate football and boost crowds. But we might never know. Anyway, looking forward to finding out who we will be playing at home, or away, for a third time. Yawn.

As I said above it was the play-off situation, not the split that creates the excitement - and the bigger crowd. We were already almost certain not to end up in the immediate relegation spot - without the play off there would have been some interest in the game due to the wee bit extra money from getting higher up the table but nothing like the interest due to us maybe getting dragged back to within 1 point of Motherwell and the play-off spot.

I think play-offs are a good idea (despite us always likely to be one of the clubs trying to avoid them) and they help the argument that we should have a bigger league with teams only meeting twice. Might have to have 2 play off places mind you, depending how you enlarge the league.