Just In From County

Always wanted to start one of these, and what a game to do it! Got in about 10 minutes late thanks to a lot of police nonsense at Inverness, but it was clear even at that point that one team was playing all the football. Then in County's one foray up the park, loose ball in the penalty area and Gardyne beat Fox at his near post. Worrying, but the players reaction was superb - heads didn't go down and normal service was resumed. Then big Freddy strides forward into nosebleed territory and hits one. The ball starts bending away from goal and I expected it to whoosh past the post, but although the keeper dived the right way it hit the post and then the back of the net. Game on. The first half kept going the same way, with Stevo and Taylor missing a few chances.

County came out fired up for the second but we stuck to doing what we had been doing throughout the first - pressing the ball and moving it about crisply. Loads of energy in the team. Then throw in from O Donnell. He launches it into the area and Stevo and Osman go for it in a crowded six yard box and it fialls to O donnell who has sauntered into the penalty box. He swings his left boot - a cross ? A shot? - and lashes it past the keeper at his near post.

It all became a bit frantic after that. We had some great chances to seal the game with another goal but fluffed our lines a bit. Taylor could have had a couple and Higgy was great and woeful equally. As the half went on, county made a few substitutions and began to press us back. We sat deeper and deeper and I think all 358 of us there knew what this script ends up like....

But we defended well if a bit riskily at times and created a few out balls to Dools who had come on for Lyle. And slowly the clock ticked down. The last three minutes seemed to take an age as County swung diagonal ball after diagonal ball into the area, and they seem to have had a penalty shout. However Fox never really had a save to make. The final whistle was greeted with a mixture of relief and a huge chorus of 'The Jags are staying up'. Maybe not our most clinical performance, but the 3 points felt great coming down the A9. No standouts among the players - all absolutely focussed on winning the game. Hugely satisfying.

• Like 2

Thanks Earl a great insight to the day from the perspective of one of the 358 that got behind the team on behalf of all jags fans.

Days like today are amazing for all of the Thistle family however the few that made it should rightfully enjoy & celebrate what remains of their night most.

"We are staying up..."

Thought the support was immense today. The celebrations after the winner right in front of the Thistle fans said a lot about how much everyone was pulling in the same direction.

Few random observations. Thought the grass was a tad on the lush side. I did wonder if it had been deliberately left a little longer than normal to try and prevent our passing game; County adopting a more direct approach. If so it didn't work.

Didn't think County were any worse or better than they were when they beat us in Dingwall last month. The run they are on ( sorry WERE on) was obviously impressive but I don't think they are an especially good side. Solid and direct at best but slow at the back. We could have scored a few more and eased the nerves a bit but more than delighted with 2-1.

Most Thistle fans would have missed it but Taylor was a hoot when being substituted. As the boos increased he simply got slower and his smile got wider. Had it been an opposition player I would have been raging.

Just two points now needed to be arthimetically safe assuming Motherwell win their 4 remaining games. Hopefully we can celebrate safety in style with 3 points next Saturday. This side has really grown up and shown increased maturity over the last couple of months. Since the home defeat against County we have been consistently good with some excellent results against good teams.

• Like 2

Just back home after the long drive up and back. Fantastic performance not reflected in the narrow scoreline. We were so dominant it was unreal, all County had to offer was random dives in the penalty area in hope of a soft penalty award.

Actually thought their first appeal might have been a penalty. That said I thought we had a strong case for a penalty for a foul on Lawless who was outstanding today.

Edited because I forgot the order of the two appeals. Second was a perfectly timed challenge with no margin of error.,

Edited by Tom Hosie

Actually thought their second appeal might have been a penalty. That said I thought we had a strong case for a penalty for a foul on Lawless who was outstanding today.

In my mind Stevie is playing the best all round football he's ever played. More or less lasting ninety minutes when required and he's added a good bit more steel to his game. County must hate the sight of him.

That was my first trip to Dingwall - really enjoyed it.

We were the better side and deserved the win. We really are playing some good football right now - 7th is definitely on the cards.

Absolutely brilliant strike from Frans. Also loved O'Donnell's reaction to his cross/shot goal. Osman, again, was superb and the front four all played really well.

Boyce penalty claim: Runs into Banzo and falls over, would have been soft to say the least

Guy on the radio said Steven O'Donnell "had that in his locker"

Really!!

Love to know if he meant it; looked like it went where he was aiming it (edited colon for the semi colon, think it's correct-watching those highlights gave me a semi)

This side has really grown up and shown increased maturity over the last couple of months.

Totally agree Tom. Just a pity certain posters, or should I say poster, that has been bumping their GUMS all season about how much of a dud our manager is, how he should be sacked, how he doesn't learn anything, and how poor the defence is ((one of the best defences in the league) has went very, very quiet. Total proof that he was only here to troll genuine supporters. Don't think anyone can take him seriously any more ( not that anyone ever did) Cue a response calling me Linda and how he was always an Archie supporter....lol

I see my pal Linda been on this morning making his usual observations from his armchair! Quite good eyesight to see from his front room to Dingwall.

As one of the 350 odd (really that few?) that was there (again Linda) I have to say that I thought that was probably our best performance of the season.

Other than their goal, I can't really recall our defence being anything other than comfortable. Was somewhat surprised that they didn't come at us more especially going 2-1 down but that's where you have to credit the players & coaches for preventing them doing that.

I've been critical of the manager (as have others who have either wound their neck in, disappeared from view or are on denial that they ever were) & if being honest, didn't think the team had this performance or fight in then after the the home defeats to County & St Mirren. I was wrong.

I genuinely thought we were on our way to the play offs at that point. Again I was wrong.

My main gripe has been that we have under performed with the players we've had this season. I think the current run of form has to an extent proved that.

The non concession of late goals (imagine where we could've been with even half the points we'd lost late on added to our total).

That said, I'm delighted we've stayed up with games to spare.

The manager... Like I said, credit where it's due. I hope that he's also learned from last Summer's transfer dealings & has full back replacements lined up.

I'm guessing Higgy also away & hopefully we'll get a striker in before last minute also -hopefully Taylor as we have that transfer fee agreed.

In meantime maybe Linda will make it to at least the last 4 games & support his team.

Oops, sorry, forgot he's blocked me.

I know you log in as a guest just to see me Linda

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy