East Stirlingshire Friendly

Fawlty Towers

See Thistle have 5 trialists in the squad. Are these likely to be on trial for the development team or is it one's Archie wants a look at?

Had to leave at half time but the trialists defo look like ones for the development squad. Of the 5 playing, number 9 looked pretty impressive. Lovely touch and decent in the air. The rest were mediocre based solely on the 45 mins I saw.

Relatively even first half, thistles central back two (trialist number 4 was pretty duff) looked weak at defending low crosses. We Looked ok going forward, especially down the right.

Someone who saw the second half can no doubt give a better account than me however.

The lads played very well particularly second half where their fitness levels really showed. Also never shirked any tackles against a physically strong East Strilingshire team. Great to see a lot of good prospects coming through. As kennymac says number 9 in particular really impressed

Do East Stirling usually use Grangemouth stadium?

Edited by Third Lanark

Watched half a dozen Development matches last season and I can see how McDaid, Wilson and Hendry are now considered fringe material for the first team.

Second half we were a lot better - there were some really alarming moments in the first half at the back though quite decent going forward. Second half was much better.

Do like the young right back and the trialist number 10 reminded me of a young McDaid. Good start but some work needed in defence.

Can't wait for the season to start!!

The lads played very well particularly second half where their fitness levels really showed. Also never shirked any tackles against a physically strong East Strilingshire team. Great to see a lot of good prospects coming through. As kennymac says number 9 in particular really impressed

No idea if they use it for training matches or not, TL. Just glad to not watch another U20 game on plastic as would've been the case at Ochilview even if the pitch today played too slow. Definite improvement in the 2nd half and agree the No9 did shine. Not going to be critical of the other trialists as I've no idea their ages. Thought the big lad, McLaren at centreback was impressive throughout.

I thought that most of the squad did well. I was impressed with trialist's 7,9 and 10. As stated in an earlier post it would be harsh to judge some of the others given the experience of some of the Shire squad. We played some nice football at times.

Edited by Big Dan

They are using grangemouth for pre season as stenny have some friendlies the same dates. My mrs cousin plays for them is the only reason I know that.

Pitch looked a bit heavy but given the rainfall last night and this morning I thought it played ok.

Edited by kennymac29
  • Like 1

Yes but it lists the Thistle senior squad and not the development squad. The commentary on the OS was the only way that I could find out who was playing.