Lyle Taylor (Part 2) Signs

Lindau

OK. Do we really need Duggan then?

Maybe not, but I'm guessing this is Duggan's last chance to prove he has what it takes or he'll be out the door. I'd be surprised if he isn't loaned out again to get some game time, and hopefully he can make it through without getting injured, which seems to happen ah awful lot to him.

That would leave us with a strike force of Doolan, who is a good player but not without his limitations, and Jordan Leyden who Archie mentioned as being seen as able to make the step up this season, but for the vast majority of fans is an unknown quantity. We'd certainly need to give ourself at least one other proven option, be that the mythical 20 goal a season striker that everyone craves for absolutely no reason whatsoever or one who will be able to do a different sort of job for the team.

Duggan's had a miserable time out on loan re knocks. He's also at that dangerous age where if you're out injured you're not developing. He is however a big and strong lad and has scored goals for fun with the U20s. Not sure he's as pacy, or will be when he returns, as Lyle Taylor but more that sort of player and quite possibly a better finisher.

If fit I guess he's the kinda player that could come off the bench and annoy defenders and perhaps make space for others to score. He probably needs 90 minute games, so probably out on loan once again always assuming he's signed up long enough.

Can't for the life of me work out why someone felt the need to start another Lyle Taylor thread. It really does sum up just how unhealthily obsessed some folk were with him.

I guess it's a bit like newspaper headlines: the stories are usually all about the same things from day to day, so a new lure is needed.

Can't for the life of me work out why someone felt the need to start another Lyle Taylor thread. It really does sum up just how unhealthily obsessed some folk were with him.

I started the thread because I wanted to. Should I run any other threads past you before posting? Nearly 3000 views and 31 replies show it was worthwhile. As said before, if you don't like the thread don't fecking read it. Simples!

Edited by Lindau

We could do worse. We could sign a 33 year old forward or even someone older. Whatever, I just don't think Archie is going to change our normal policy and bring in a player whose best days are behind him.

Strikers signed last couple of years were Baird Mukendi and eccleston - in this case might be an idea to change this particular policy as McDonald clearly a step up from that. How many goals did he score and set up at motherwell since he rejoined in January I would say more than enought to say he is not past it plus could be beneficial to the younger lads with his experience

Strikers signed last couple of years were Baird Mukendi and eccleston - in this case might be an idea to change this particular policy as McDonald clearly a step up from that. How many goals did he score and set up at motherwell since he rejoined in January I would say more than enought to say he is not past it plus could be beneficial to the younger lads with his experience

Change what policy? You've just plucked a name of someone who we are highly unlikely to sign for a number of reasons.

Archie tends to sign players who can improve. Might not always work but at least there's a chance. Agree on occasion about learning from an experienced pro but that tends to be in defence (Mair, Dowie, Gal even) where absolute fitness can take second place to an old head.

I'm not trying to second guess Archie so maybe using the word "policy" is wrong. Just pointing out the manager's tendency towards younger players.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

People probably read the thread because you called it "Lyle Taylor signs" without saying who for.

I understand why you did it, you wanted to be the very first to break the news about him signing for someone else and you wanted the guaranteed attention that a new thread would bring.

Archie tends to sign players who can improve. Might not always work but at least there's a chance. Agree on occasion about learning from an experienced pro but that tends to be in defence (Mair, Dowie, Gal even) where absolute fitness can take second place to an old head. I'm not trying to second guess Archie so maybe using the word "policy" is wrong. Just pointing out the manager's tendency towards younger players.

I think Archie is well aware of the need to have a few experienced players in the mix. But at the present we have Seabourne, Osman and Stevenson - all later 20s, 30s. Added to that, the likes of Bannigan, Lawless and Elliot - though still young - have been part of the team for a number of years now and are very experienced in the team set up and style of play.

So it would make sense to look for younger players with the potential to improve at the moment - though with Miller as trialist we obviously will take an older player if there's not a better younger option. Thing about older players though: if they're good enough for us to sign they will probably cost a wee bit more than signing a youngster with potential.

Having said that I'm surprised Miller hasn't signed yet - he's surely well enough known in Scotland and it would only be a matter of the manager checking out his fitness and how he fits in/gets on with the rest of the squad. If we do sign him we still need extra defensive cover because we'd still have only one full back each side. Some one young could fit there - though it may be we'll take the risk - due to tight finances - of relying on Elliot for left back cover and Fraser for right back cover. (Did Lindsay ever play left back?)

EDIT: it occurs to me that Archie's experiment with 3 at the back gives us another option if full backs are suspended or injured - Elliot, Fraser, Bannigan, McDaid might easily fit in as wing backs.

Edited by Mr Bunny

People probably read the thread because you called it "Lyle Taylor signs" without saying who for.

I understand why you did it, you wanted to be the very first to break the news about him signing for someone else and you wanted the guaranteed attention that a new thread would bring.

Incorrect again. The original thread I started was about him getting his international call up. This was a totally different subject!