League Cup Draw

Vinnyjag

Absolutely not taking anything for granted, however due to our 8th placed finish last season, it looks like we will be seeded in the next round as well if we manage to negotiate whoever we draw today.

Means we would avoid any of the better teams at least until QF stage. It would be excellent if we could get a couple of decent draws and at least make the semi final.

A home tie against any of them, bar at a push, Falkirk would be fairly straightforward.

If we get an away tie them Airdrie, Morton, Livi or Falkirk would be ideal in terms of travel considering it's mid week.

Berwick at home would be the best draw possible.

Ideally wouldn't want us playing on a plastic pitch.

Meanwhile, the mighty footballing demi-gods from McDiarmid Park are auto-parachuted to a position where they are only a couple of one-nils away from another Hampden semi.

Zero sporting integrity. Just like the flagship Premiership with its' farcical split.

Amazing to think that the clubs actually voted for this god-awful disaster-zone of a format, like Turkeys voting for Christmas. I can only pray that Partick Thistle did not.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, the mighty footballing demi-gods from McDiarmid Park are auto-parachuted to a position where they are only a couple of one-nils away from another Hampden semi.

Zero sporting integrity. Just like the flagship Premiership with its' farcical split.

Amazing to think that the clubs actually voted for this god-awful disaster-zone of a format, like Turkeys voting for Christmas. I can only pray that Partick Thistle did not.

Out of interest, other than a format that includes a group section (I'd love this but it'll never happen) what else would you suggest?

Out of interest, other than a format that includes a group section (I'd love this but it'll never happen) what else would you suggest?

There's an old-fashioned part of me that would like that too, but it's not realistic, the big boys would never agree to it. I just think we've went way too far to accomodate the "elite". They've killed the joy, killed the romance. This current format is almost certainly as a result of behind the scenes lobbying, "vote for this and we'll agree to this" bollocks. They don't know what sport is half of them. And their OF media pals back it up to the hilt with their "we need to give them every chance in Europe" baloney. Fans read it in the Daily Ranger and believe it.

• R42 10 ties, 22 byes
  • R32, 16 ties
  • R16, 8 ties
  • QF
  • SF
  • F
  • On the night, single-tie knockout, all the way.
  • No automatic byes for any team.
  • No seeding at all.
  • Semi Finals at suitable equi-distant venues, not Hampden.
  • Final only at Hampden Park.

Celtic have enough resources to handle a potential game or two extra in August. If they don't like it they can withdraw.

A firm resolve is required to rid us of this mind-numbing teams "6 to 16" vs teams "17 to 27" Round 2 tedium.

And another thing - giving a R2 bye to the 5th placed Premiership side is an old idea inherited from the days when we had 5 teams in Europe. No-ones even bothered to adjust it now that it's completely without viable reason. Every time this R2 draw comes around it really gets on my goat.

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel
  • Like 1

If it goes back to sections then perhaps a form of regionalisation might be a good idea - for example - an east coast section with East Fife, Raith Rovers and Arbroath could be supplemented with a west coast team ............................... us for example. Oh wait - that happened before didn't it? :frantic::crazy::happy2:

• Like 1

A completely pointless competition which should be scrapped.

I don't agree, however it has been devalued by the powers that be, by removing European placing, for the winner.

The fact is, it's a knock out competition, exactly the same as the Scottish Cup, and therefore certainly not pointless.

However, the governing bodies completely pissing about with the fixture list and the press repeatedly talking it down, devalue it.

If we won it, beating Celtic in the final, every Thistle fan would be dining off the game for the next 50 years and not one Thistle fan would describe it as pointless. Christ, we'd be doing exactly the same if we'd won the League and Challenge Cup double!

• Like 1

A completely pointless competition which should be scrapped.

Tend to agree with this, with the LC competition in it's present format.

It's one of those things the SFA should have reviewed well before now. It's been stale - really stale - since the Coca-Cola Cup days.

The League Cup should be scrapped in all countries with the governing bodies then having opportunities to invite clubs from Scandinavia, Ireland or even England to take part in a new international knock out competition. It would allow teams to network, fans to visit new grounds and managers to scout for players. Clubs playing in Europe (i.e. Celtic) could choose to play their development squad, to protect their first team from burnout.

The main issue with change is cost. I imagine various things may have been considered in the past but lack of funds/sponsorship money, has been a stumbling block. Then there would also be the added costs of taking players on longer journeys, midweek.