North Stand: Time For A Rethink ?

La Scimmia Rossa

Hate to butt in to what looks like it's become a witch hunt, BUT...being devil's advocate...

Why do people think that what has been successfully accomodated in the North stand couldn't be replicated in the Jackie Husband?

People talk about alienating and driving away supporters if the North stand was re-allocated (perhaps even only for one off matches), but do we not run a risk of alienating even more supporters by re-locating the JH stand which has, presumably, more ST holders?

In the days when I sat in the JHS (NS end) we would regularly go into the AR Lounge at the end (when it was available to the supporters) and speak to guys that we knew up the opposite end (singing end at that time) They couldn't believe it when we would usually say the atmosphere was dire. They were adamant that that they had been singing for most of the game, but we never heard any of it. Hence the problem of the JH stand. As has been pointed out, the majority of singing heard on Sunday was from the NS and not the 5000 Sellik fans seated right in front of the cameras

Acoustics. Eh that's it really.

Hate to butt in to what looks like it's become a witch hunt, BUT...being devil's advocate...

Why do people think that what has been successfully accomodated in the North stand couldn't be replicated in the Jackie Husband?

People talk about alienating and driving away supporters if the North stand was re-allocated (perhaps even only for one off matches), but do we not run a risk of alienating even more supporters by re-locating the JH stand which has, presumably, more ST holders?

See my previous post.

There were a number of reasons the JH stand was problematic. Eg Over zealous policing/stewarding, proximity to family section?

As i said it also came hard on heels of a terrible two or three years. On and off the field.

I'm no expert but atmosphere at Accies, Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath , Ross County has been pretty good in relatively recent times.

Then again, being out of touch, what do i know?

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

I sat at the south end of the main stand on Saturday, and I'm afraid to say that the NS didn't outsing the Celtic fans from that perspective (although there's a whole different argument about having reasons to sing, and another one about not wanting to hear what was being sung). If a low roof improves the accoustics and projection of sound then there would be a case for the singers to be housed in the main stand. Old solid wood guitars sound much better when resonating with the strings, so maybe our 100 year old wooden floor would add some Pavarotti like improvements to the singers.

In my opinion, one of the problems of the singing section in the JHS was that it was too far away from the opposing fans - simply because the board didn't want it around where they were sitting - they've moved now....

I think it's also a bit simplistic to say that JHS st holders didn't feel alienated by getting turfed out of their seats, since every one who sits around me did. It may also be no coincidence that our apparent drop in season ticket numbers came when this change was announced. I was in two minds as to whether to renew right up until I did and then pretty much regretted it again right away...

• Like 1

Regards the main stand it was forced upon us a couple of times over the last two years and if anything the angled roof keeps the noise in.

People up the back are effectively singing into the roof. That sound wave bounces down and doesn't exit the stand. It's not conducive to creating a good atmosphere.

During Celtic games I've sat in the JHS and it's a real struggle to hear folk from the MS.

Added to the fact, it's a pig sty. Our fans should not be housed in it at all, I'm my opinion. I've got no interest in setting foot in the main stand.

Hats off and due respect to those who did on Sunday, I can only give my humble thanks. To me though. It's a no brainer.

If you want an atmosphere in the ground. The home support needs to be behind the goal.

Edited by potty trained

My son is a wheelchair user.Before we could use the NS we had to use the enclosure.The NS is much better because of the view,we are in with our own fans and when we score at that end we are in amongst the celebrations.

This is worth keeping it open on its own, if the NS allows our wheelchair fans to become part of the support again, the atmosphere and the celebrations then it's worth the 30k or whatever the cost is.

I often take guests to games -they always enjoy the North Stand experience more.

Mrs Jaf now comes with me - she would be less inclined to go if we were not in NS. (the 12 archibalds of Christmas was a favourite moment of hers)

I think the NS I a success on most methods of measurement, if not Colins.

• Like 1

While it wasn' t ideal the shift from the JHS resulted in our first home game attracting a bigger crowd than any game lsst season.

Best crowd last season was 5776. The Sunday game was 7008. Sadly the increase was down to a larger away support but should allay fears of the cost of the NS, certainly for this fixture.

The atmosphere was a lot intimadatory than recent home games vs the 'tic, imo. We need to attract more fans back to this fixture, even an extra 500 would be good for the atmosphere. The home stands were under occupied but at least those there were of a Thistle mindset :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dont want to start a new thread re the north stand as I was just wondering how old you need to be to get into the North stand?

Was thinking of taking my daughter to the game and I knew it used to be only over 16 but has that changed as I have seen younger people over the last season or so?

Apologies managed to find it on the website....over 12s

Edited by clarencegarter