Aitken Suite

Fawlty Towers

First time I've been in since it has been open to the fans before / after games.

Thought it looked excellent, plenty of thistle stuff on the walls, two big tvs showing the rugby, then the spurs v Everton game (nufc v afc was seemingly on before the game).

Atmosphere seemed pretty good considering we got beat, i could imagine it could be great if people would embrace it for a few weeks...

Tell me to mind my own business if you want to but could I ask why you have not been in years and what (if anything) the club could do to get you attending again?

I meet up with friends elsewhere pre match, usually Coopers then head to the game. I was on a solo mission today but then met up with another mate at The Woodside Inn (which was noticably quieter than previous visits I've made over the last few seasons).

I'm not against using the Suite in general and it is good the club seem to be making improvements. I may use it over the course of the season. The trick is getting my company to change their habits ;)

Good to read they've sorted out the last orders time.

Just a wee thought and no offence intended but does anyone find the actual name of the bar a little stuffy?

I appreciate its named after a lifetime honorary president of the club but maybe a rebranding to something like the Thistle Bar or even The Kingsley Tavern maybe worth doing?

The club (again) making an effort and have listened and made a positive change.

Would hope that fans begin to support it, cause let's face it, the pubs around the ground are shiteholes who when the likes of the OF and Aberdeen roll into town couldn't give a **** about Thistle. I'm not going to tell people how to run a business and have no problem with Celtic or Aberdeen fans going in, at least look after your regulars though eh? I spent over 10 minutes trying to get served in the S&G yesterday, people I know who go in regularly were the same. I was once told the line that the usual 6 or 7 jakeys who go into these pubs should get priority....fair enough, well we're your next regulars. Hasn't been the case the last two times I've been in for Celtic or Aberdeen games.

I meet up with friends elsewhere pre match, usually Coopers then head to the game. I was on a solo mission today but then met up with another mate at The Woodside Inn (which was noticably quieter than previous visits I've made over the last few seasons).

I'm not against using the Suite in general and it is good the club seem to be making improvements. I may use it over the course of the season. The trick is getting my company to change their habits ;)

Good to read they've sorted out the last orders time.

Thanks for the feedback. I just hope that people who say they don't use the Aitken Suite because of certain issues give it another chance if those issues have been sorted.

Thanks for the feedback. I just hope that people who say they don't use the Aitken Suite because of certain issues give it another chance if those issues have been sorted.

That's why I think a rebranding/ name change maybe worth trying? The name is synonymous with past experiences. Quite common in the pub/ club game to follow a refurb or change of owner with a name change?

Means that people may try it out at least and with a more open mind?

Could be backed up with a relaunch day and some kind of offers? The club shouldn't ignore the lure of Kingsley either. Some Dons fans were asking me if Kingsley would be there for a photo op. Sadly I couldn't confirm either way.

Would hope that fans begin to support it, cause let's face it, the pubs around the ground are shiteholes who when the likes of the OF and Aberdeen roll into town couldn't give a **** about Thistle. I'm not going to tell people how to run a business and have no problem with Celtic or Aberdeen fans going in, at least look after your regulars though eh? I spent over 10 minutes trying to get served in the S&G yesterday, people I know who go in regularly were the same. I was once told the line that the usual 6 or 7 jakeys who go into these pubs should get priority....fair enough, well we're your next regulars. Hasn't been the case the last two times I've been in for Celtic or Aberdeen games.

I got served more or less right away the three times I went up to the bar.

Btw I've no idea who the other 5 or 6 jakeys are

• Like 1

Strangely I had the opposite experience. Arrived about 2pm, place was rammed, but got a space at the bar and as soon as I got eye contact, I was getting a pint poured.

The amount of Aberdeen fans I've not got a problem with, they'd been in since 11am and bring great numbers without any agrivation.

Treat travelling fans the way you'd hope to be treated when on a Thistle away day.

Strangely I had the opposite experience. Arrived about 2pm, place was rammed, but got a space at the bar and as soon as I got eye contact, I was getting a pint poured.

The amount of Aberdeen fans I've not got a problem with, they'd been in since 11am and bring great numbers without any agrivation.

Treat travelling fans the way you'd hope to be treated when on a Thistle away day.

Same question to you two gents as I put to jagfox - what could the club do so that you used the Aitken Suite instead of a local pub?

Same question to you two gents as I put to jagfox - what could the club do so that you used the Aitken Suite instead of a local pub?

Maybe the Aitken Suite should be trying to create a market for itself rather than poach punters from local businesses. In all seriousness there has to be a fair amount of folk that don't, can't, won't use pubs pre match. Elderly, less abled, parent and child and so on.

Maybe the Aitken Suite should be trying to create a market for itself rather than poach punters from local businesses. In all seriousness there has to be a fair amount of folk that don't, can't, won't use pubs pre match. Elderly, less abled, parent and child and so on.

But are some of those punters not people that local businesses poached from the Aitken Suite in the first place? You are right about the market that could be maximised and I was glad to read in the programme yesterday that the Aitken Suite is now accessible for disabled fans.

I'm afraid there's nothing they could do.

I think Lib is spot on. The club shouldn't be trying to take custom from local pubs, first and foremost, because that route's destined to fail. It also feels a bit cheeky, to be going out and trying to take customers from your community. These people survive because of football crowds. To take us away is to close them down.

People have their routine, you know the faces in your pub, guys you don't speak to for a fortnight, you know will be there. It's a community you are part of and its part of your match day routine.

There's also a loyalty to that pub, to the owner who gets you a drink at the new year game. Who puts on a buffet when you run a bus.

wgen I first started drinking it was the Rough Lounge, it was great, you could walk out straight into the stand after watching last weeks 90 minutes. Then the police put a stop to that.

We tried the Tower, tried the Castle vaults, tried Munns. But the Star and the Woody are exactly what a fan needs,

I think Lib is spot on. The club shouldn't be trying to take custom from local pubs, first and foremost, because that route's destined to fail. It also feels a bit cheeky, to be going out and trying to take customers from your community. These people survive because of football crowds. To take us away is to close them down.

People have their routine, you know the faces in your pub, guys you don't speak to for a fortnight, you know will be there. It's a community you are part of and its part of your match day routine.

There's also a loyalty to that pub, to the owner who gets you a drink at the new year game. Who puts on a buffet when you run a bus.

wgen I first started drinking it was the Rough Lounge, it was great, you could walk out straight into the stand after watching last weeks 90 minutes. Then the police put a stop to that.

We tried the Tower, tried the Castle vaults, tried Munns. But the Star and the Woody are exactly what a fan needs,

Thanks, that's an honest answer and although I am not a drinker I can understand the points you make. The one thing I would slightly disagree with you on is about how these pubs survive because of football crowds. They seemed to be okay during the close season and we only turn up once per fortnight (in smaller numbers than before as has been discussed) so they must have other customers on the other 13 days. Should we feel guilty about converting some younger fans to Thistle as that takes them away from other clubs? Do we worry if we get people out of cinemas or shopping centres on a Saturday to come to Firhill? Often the club is criticised for not being run like a business but would other businesses worry about where they got their customers from?

I do frequent the Aitken bar most of the time on matchday but for me the turn off for others must be the long queues and the 2.30pm last orders were a turn off, I understand that it is now 2.45pm which does make a difference. Heating in the depths of winter would not go a miss also.

Not a lot to disagree with there, but I wouldn't worry about taking custom from local pubs. Those very pubs would be/are very happy if guys who were originally thinking of going to Firhill just decided to stay in the pub instead, as quite a number probably do, these days.

Not a lot to disagree with there, but I wouldn't worry about taking custom from local pubs. Those very pubs would be/are very happy if guys who were originally thinking of going to Firhill just decided to stay in the pub instead, as quite a number probably do, these days.

Of course they are, but I don't think they've ever actively put themselves forward as an alternative, or said... Hey, don't go to the game, stay here.

The Star is my regular haunt, has been for maybe 15 years. I've been in during the week, and it's empty. Literally two men and a dug. They survive on thistle games.

Pubs are part of the football community and should remain as such. We as a club shouldn't be taking their main income stream.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have a fan bar... But we should have one that caters for a specific clientele. A clientele the pubs can't cater for. Like families for example.

People complain about having to reserve a kids seat out with the kids zone... What if you get a free drink in the Aitken Suite with that ticket... What if it's marketed and refurbed as a family bar. A soft play area at the far end like these industrial estate pubs.

Pubs are closing down left right and centre, if you went to your bank manager and told him you wanted to open a pub he'd laugh you out the door! People can't have more than one or even close to it and drive. So expand your alcohol free range. I can't believe more pubs haven't done it. Don't get me wrong, everyone carries Becks Blue, but it's piss water and the chemicals give you a sore head after 4 bottles (2 pints). However, cobra's not too bad, Bavaria's alcohol free wheat beer is exceptional and Brewdog's alcohol free is outstanding, I mean genuinely incredible!

Get a couple of cases of each in and market it. Why not? Nothing else is working.

• Like 1