My view is that there has to be consistency in how football clubs and other associations deal with such incidents. There was nothing to mark the atrocities in London some years ago, or the massacres in Madrid or Norway, or even more recently in Tunisia. Once you start going down the line of playing national anthems of specific countries only, it gets messy. Where would it stop?

• Like 3

Have to agree with Jaggernaut. Let's also look at this in context, how much of an impact will PTFC have on this? A game between ourselves and Inverness is hardly el classico, will it really make that much of a difference whether we "pay our respects" or not?

Folk have already mentioned the bombing in Beirut but there was also a horrific act of terrorism in Kenya a few days ago as well. More people killed than in Paris and the images of bodies piled up several metres high are more shocking than anything I have seen in my lifetime. I don't see any calls for the Kenyan anthem to be played before the game or a minute's silence for them.

Make no mistake, the events in Paris are truly awful and horrific for the city and everyone who has lost a loved one. But for me, it's important not to get too caught up in the whole "paying respect" thing. Playing the French national anthem over the tannoy seems to me like a bit of a gimmick and slightly embarrassing.

Edited by ian_mac

My mind goes back to the Dunblane atrocity and how the world rallied round. It was truly awful but wonderful to think the world was with us.

But, strangely, the thing about that time that stuck in my mind were two lines in the Herald that there had been a flood in China and, it was thought, 40,000 had perished. I don't recall hearing anything more about it.

We DO relate much more to people we can identify with. This is neither good nor bad, just a fact.

I am hating all the detail and ins and outs the media is hitting us with in connection with the French tragedy. We get the media we deserve it is said.

Have to agree with Jaggernaut. Let's also look at this in context, how much of an impact will PTFC have on this? A game between ourselves and Inverness is hardly el classico, will it really make that much of a difference whether we "pay our respects" or not?

Folk have already mentioned the bombing in Beirut but there was also a horrific act of terrorism in Kenya a few days ago as well. More people killed than in Paris and the images of bodies piled up several metres high are more shocking than anything I have seen in my lifetime. I don't see any calls for the Kenyan anthem to be played before the game or a minute's silence for them.

Make no mistake, the events in Paris are truly awful and horrific for the city and everyone who has lost a loved one. But for me, it's important not to get too caught up in the whole "paying respect" thing. Playing the French national anthem over the tannoy seems to me like a bit of a gimmick and slightly embarrassing.

I do understand your point of grand gestures of questionble effect.

However...

There are rational reasons why the Paris attacks hit a more sensitive nerve for some. The Beruit suburb, is reportedly a stronghold of Hezbollah. Syria’s civil war has spilled over into Lebanon on multiple occasions, inflaming sectarian tensions between the country’s Sunnis and Shiites. The two communities have lined up on opposing side of Syria’s civil war – Sunnis broadly support the Sunni rebels fighting against Assad while the Shiites typically back Assad.

In Kenya the attack came six days after Britain advised “against all but essential travel” to parts of Kenya, including Garissa where the somali al-shabbab attackers hit. A day before the attack, President Uhuru Kenyatta dismissed that warning as well as an Australian one pertaining to Nairobi and Mombasa, saying: “Kenya is safe as any country in the world. The travel advisories being issued by our friends are not genuine.”

While it is true that the the day before the Paris attacks president Obama claimed Isis were being "contained", and the Paris attacks apparently took us by surprise also, it is also true that our working relationship and security with France is closer and more coherent than with either Lebanon or Kenya.

I suggest the outrage, fear, and empathy with the people of France on this occassion does not cast some crude aspersion over our valuation of life in various parts of the world. It does perhaps show that we recognise our valuation of the parts of the world where people can live in the relative safety we are sometimes guilty of taking for granted, is being seriously tested.

• Like 1

Have to agree with CGMB.

An attempt was made to murder football supporters en masse in a stadium just 550 miles away from Glasgow.

One of our players was in attendance.

Quite aside from the actual butchering that did take place, I would say this alone strongly concerns Partick Thistle, as it does all of European football.

My view is that there has to be consistency in how football clubs and other associations deal with such incidents. There was nothing to mark the atrocities in London some years ago, or the massacres in Madrid or Norway, or even more recently in Tunisia. Once you start going down the line of playing national anthems of specific countries only, it gets messy. Where would it stop?

I agree with the rationale from Jagger and also the sentiments of Dunfermline Jag's post. My one deviation (perhaps really two) from that line is that if most other clubs are observing last weekend's tragedy we do likewise. Reasoning simply being that by trying to be apolitical it would backfire and appear to the masses as in fact being political/uncaring whatever.

One other viewpoint, and I'm trying here to be non political, could be that there's a general consensus that enough is enough. The Paris outrage may not have crossed that line but there could come a time when, regardless of what's gone before, another line is drawn and we should really observe that tragedy. Just to say we never observed a certain bygone tragical event so we shouldn't ever observe a similar one in the future may not hold water.

I agree with the rationale from Jagger and also the sentiments of Dunfermline Jag's post. My one deviation (perhaps really two) from that line is that if most other clubs are observing last weekend's tragedy we do likewise. Reasoning simply being that by trying to be apolitical it would backfire and appear to the masses as in fact being political/uncaring whatever.

One other viewpoint, and I'm trying here to be non political, could be that there's a general consensus that enough is enough. The Paris outrage may not have crossed that line but there could come a time when, regardless of what's gone before, another line is drawn and we should really observe that tragedy. Just to say we never observed a certain bygone tragical event so we shouldn't ever observe a similar one in the future may not hold water.

That's another danger, you either become "for" or "against" something in the eyes of too many people. It's that far from the kind of mentality that leads to lynchings and the like when bystanders will at best do nothing or else feel that they need to join in, so as not to be seen as "different." That kind of pressure to conform is why I stopped wearing a poppy.

Hmm, all getting a bit political.