Some Worrying Observations

Steven H

I understand the logic behind the policy to not give out complimentary tickets anymore (although I wonder if that also apllies to scouts etc), I understand the logic behind reducing the Policing on matchdays (if a little risky if Firhill Rd remains open) and I understand the 'staffing changes' that has seen an influx of volunteers taking the place of paid workers. All good, but here are a couple of things that strike me as not so good...

...The first league game at Firhill was against Dundee, I'd have thought hospitality would have been pretty full. League Cup game versus Falkirk, again Id expect a reasonable number to take up the hospitality. None at Dundee and, as far as Im aware, none at the Falkirk game either. Also, hospitalty was regularly pushed via the OS and mail shots etc, yet that hasn't been happening recently. How much money is made off hospitality? I'd imagine a fair amount so it strikes me as odd that it appears to have disappeared. Anyone know what's goin on?

I don't want to start another row over the decision to merge the Centenary Fund and 1876 Club, I want this Fund to help the Club as much as possible, and Im sure the same goes for lots of others. However, I have heard an increasing amount of people say they have tried to join, filled in the form etc and not had anything taken from their account. At least one of these people have been in touch with the Club regarding this (on more than one occassion) but has had no success. He has obviously given up trying and my advice for him to contact a JTB member and have him/her speak on his behalf was met with the usual apathy regarding the Jags Trust.

I have also contacted the Club regarding upgrading my CF membership to Gold and despite being told EP would be in touch I am still waiting, almost 2 months later. I know, we should keep on at the CLub but it shouldn't be that hard to give them money should it? With this, the hospitality stuff and everything else that is going on regardin debt and Propco I am seriously beginning to wonder what on earth is going on. I can live with the on field stuff (have been doing so for 30 odd years now so Im used to it) but the off field stuff is seriously scary. We're skint, the BoD are continously beating that drum, yet obvious and simple revenue streams are not being utilised as effectively as they should be.

I'm I being overly cynical by asking if this is part of a hidden agenda by those who run our Club?

Don't think its a hidden agenda I just think its total incompetence and disregard for their customers.

I don't include all the directors in this but there are some I would seriously question about their motives and attitudes towards fans and why even the simplest administration task (season tickets/CF etc) turns into a nightmare for anyone who is doing something that isn't standard or a wee bit different from the norm of the requests they receive.

Hospitality is a weird one , it should make the club a fair bit of cash but if we arent promoting it then maybe there is something going on behind the scenes with the catering company or something like that ? Feck knows but would be one the JT should be asking their rep to find out what the situation is (espec since I want to use it at some stage this season)

I tried volunteering towards the end of last season. I'm not going to go into details, but in short it left me with the impression that a piss up in a brewery would be pretty difficult for the club to organise - it was a farce to say the least. However, having voiced some concern about how things were being run and receiving something of an apology, I was invited to volunteer again this season and told that someone would get in touch. Needless to say, they haven't and to be honest I'm not exactly champing at the bit to repeat the experience, so if they don't want the help, well then that's that.

I wasn't going to post anything about this as I didn't want to discourage anyone else from volunteering - it's clearly an invaluable service and the people who do volunteer deserve all our respect - I really hope more people come forward as the Club really needs the help. But, after reading the initial post, I feel like something needs to be said about it. The club seems unable to take advantage of the goodwill of the support, which, at least in my case, eventually turns into a little hostility. This is particularly worrying when we are so much in debt. It doesn't feel like much a professional outfit but there are people picking up professional fees for their services. Are those services being professionally delivered? Hospitality? Organising volunteers? Centenary Fund? Retention of STH's? A lucrative highlights package for the Nomads (like Falkirk's), even the nick of the supporter's bar - the Club needs to do a whole lot better.

This is very worrying and quite beleivable. Twaddle, Harkins and Tuffey were regretful losses to the team however, one of the most concerning departures from Firhill in recent years was Antonia Kerr. I'm sure Ami Small is doing her very best to maintain standards, but filling Molly Stallon's "boots" is a job anyone would struggle with on their own. That a fan willing to support the club at any financial level struggles to enter into correspondence on how to donate is completely unforgiveable.

I used to work as a waiter in the Aitken Suite several years ago and although we did our best to provide good service and most patrons had an enjoyable day, the quality of the product was never seriously 5 star. I doubt, from reading the promotional literature the basic package has changed any, apart from utilising the Alan Rough suite and abandoning(?) the old stand, since I chucked it about 15 years ago. The claims of a "premier league" level of experience are to my mind naive. I don't want to be overly critical as I'm sure those involved make a real effort to deliver high standards and will receive good feedback from the clientelle. However, having visited 2 English grounds this year and seen what they provide their prawn sandwich eaters by way of accomodation and match experience, Thistle's ability to impress serious corporate interest could I beleive be much improved.

How? Well I won't bore you with all my brainwaves here, but i do not beleive that those in charge maximise the potential of the space and facilities available to them. Suffice it to say, I hope the Propco deal may be beneficial to all parties and improve our club's ability to progress by providing a stable financial foundation. However, I fear it may be ( understandably so, it has to be said, as not many folk can afford to loose £1million as Jim Oliver did during his tenure at the helm) designed solely as a safe cash generator which pays scant regard to the possible ambitions of having a strong, exciting and progressive football club. Yes we want the club to survive, but we want something to be proud of and get excitied about too.

RE-OPEN THE MAIN STAND AND SHUT THE CANAL END SHOE-BOX!!!! There's more to Firhill than the Jackie H.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

A point that's I've brought up time and time again is the fact that the Players Fund was also merged. The point of the Players Fund was to help Ian McCall buy players, yet the only players we have actually bought in the bast few years has been Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine (and maybe Corcoran but the amount was undisclosed), so I'd like to know where that money has gone. People put in that money on the understanding that it would top up the transfer fund, however its needless to say where my next point is heading...

RE-OPEN THE MAIN STAND AND SHUT THE CANAL END SHOE-BOX!!!! There's more to Firhill than the Jackie H.

you had a good post a few days ago, but totally ruined it with this stupid remark!!! Yeah let's throw money we haven't got at a dump of an ancient wooden stand with poor viewing & even worse facilities. It was a dump in the 70's, so it's time for you & the other "excellent main stand" lovers to get over it

excellent my arse as Jim Royle would say!!!

you had a good post a few days ago, but totally ruined it with this stupid remark!!! Yeah let's throw money we haven't got at a dump of an ancient wooden stand with poor viewing & even worse facilities. It was a dump in the 70's, so it's time for you & the other "excellent main stand" lovers to get over it

excellent my arse as Jim Royle would say!!!

The whole purpose of the secretive Propco deal is to regenerate the ground. Two phases as far as I have been able to discover. Phase one flats and stuff on the city end. Phase two the main stand.

Yeah it's old and neglected. And i know its probably too late to stop the plans for it. But the money to do something is being put in place. I'm just saying there are as usual alternatives that our, at times, unimaginative and spineless board have failed to see.

Firhill business park and residential complex where a wee team play football... sad .... innit?

was the main stand not full for our cup ties with rangers and at The Warriors derby with Edinburgh? To say it is done because of it's age is bullshit. It's just easier to turn it into flats or offices or a community centre or state of the art dressing rooms.... sad .... sad.....sad..... and not neccessarily the most fruitful solution.

The absence of hospitality at recent games - including 'big matches' against Dundee and Falkirk - was down to the club believing that "You can't make any money from hospitality when the kids are still on holiday".

Yes, I know the schools returned last week, so the argument falls for the Falkirk game, but even so, is this a sensible decision? Seems to me we're passing up the opportunity to make a lot of money.

was the main stand not full for our cup ties with rangers and at The Warriors derby with Edinburgh? To say it is done because of it's age is bullshit. It's just easier to turn it into flats or offices or a community centre or state of the art dressing rooms.... sad .... sad.....sad..... and not neccessarily the most fruitful solution.

I find it totally depressing having to face that empty stand, and it's absolutely humiliating on TV. The reason we are told that it isn't used is because of the disproportionate amount of stewards that would be required for health and safety. But, I can't see why we couldn't have the Family Zone (or something) over there which I'm sure would be popular with parents. And I can't see why the Club can't utilise the support in a voluntary capacity here - provide the required training for a number of willing dads, and have them steward the area on rotation for free. I wrote to the Club with this idea, but wasn't given even a response. Sadly, the atmosphere at Firhill is undoubtedly having a detrimental effect on attendances - with the awfulness of the bing and an empty main stand, and the shed quarantined from the rest of the support by hospitality, it's a shambles. Put the families in the main stand, give the kids their flags, bring a bit of life back to Firhill, because at the moment we need to feel good about going there with the team doing so badly.

Edited by B.C.G. JAG

I find it totally depressing having to face that empty stand, and it's absolutely humiliating on TV. The reason we are told that it isn't used is because of the disproportionate amount of stewards that would be required for health and safety. But, I can't see why we couldn't have the Family Zone (or something) over there which I'm sure would be popular with parents. And I can't see why the Club can't utilise the support in a voluntary capacity here - provide the required training for a number of willing dads, and have them steward the area on rotation for free. I wrote to the Club with this idea, but wasn't given even a response. Sadly, the atmosphere at Firhill is undoubtedly having a detrimental effect on attendances - with the awfulness of the bing and an empty main stand, and the shed quarantined from the rest of the support by hospitality, it's a shambles. Put the families in the main stand, give the kids their flags, bring a bit of life back to Firhill, because at the moment we need to feel good about going there with the team doing so badly.

Bloody hell, a post of yours that I agree with!

He used to be a moaner, but he's all right now, Medi', Medi',

He used to be a moaner, but he's all right now, Mediocre Pundit!

Mediocre Pundit, Mediocre Pundit,

He used to be a moaner, but he's all right now, Mediocre Pundit!

:thumbsup:

The old stand is being neglected for "property development" reasons i reckon ... :detective:

Cut & Pasted from previous posts where i waffled into a similar topic... :hijack:

The only way to get atmosphere back to Firhill is to erect a big fence three qurters of the way along the Jackie Husband and get the away fans out from behind the goal and up close and personal for a right good sing song and banter battle. Re-open the main stand for families and those offended by strong language. I just don't buy this "police say no can do", health and safety arguement. I was in the main stand at Cappielow today within pie throwing distance of the Morton support and walking on fire friendly wooden beams. Get it sorted Mr Cowan or one might suspect closure of the main stand is just to get us used to it not being there.

----------------

... I have no doubt if we were to play a title decider against Raith Rovers on the last day of the season there would be an all ticket sell out at Firhill ( and the "oh it's made of wood an too dangerous" board would seize the opportunity for a bumper pay day, neglect "safety issues" for the day and OPEN THE MAIN STAND to anyone with cash in their pockets )...

-----------------------

However, alternatives for the second phase, developement of the main stand could and should be considered. David Beattie says, “Some people would want us to keep the original stand as a historic monument but we have to be realistic. It is 100 years old and large parts of it can’t be used for safety reasons.”*. No one likes to see this splendid building lying empty. One cannot ignore the part it holds in the heritage of our club and the distinctive atmosphere it has in our stadium. It is a monuement, a proud monuement, so why not a working monuement. It may be a little shabby but it's history is something we should aim to cherish and develope not bulldozer and ignore. Surely though, it has a chance of being put to use in its original function as accomodation for viewing sporting events and now, catering to the needs of the modern day spectators... ... ...

...I fear the plans in place (i really don't know what they are) for the main stand may be short sighted, a quick fix solution that may stunt future growth and success of the club however distant that may seem now. We may be averageing 2-3000 crowds at the moment but let's not lose aspirations to attract and be able to accomodate much more. I understand that housing, retail and office space may bring continued steady income into the coffers, but is a gun really being held to our head on this one? Is there no other options or ideas to generate cash from the space. I'm thinking.... Executive boxes at Firhill? Prawn sandwiches brigade? Why the fook not?!?!? maybe keep the posh rugby types happily paying us rent or they might scuttle off to scotstoun full time. Rent them out to local businesses ( on a whole season lease )to keep the revenue streams flowing and keep the prominent purpose of "the grun" watchin the big match!

Builing the stand was not the only work carried out to comply with the pointless SPL criteria. Several thousands were spent on the main stand bringing it up to a sufficient standard. I beleive it may have been at this time the old directors box was extended and work on the roof was carried out. I'm not certain of what was done, but the J.H. and shoebox stands only bring us up to about 8000 seats and the main stand had to pass safety checks to allow us to include it in our seating capacity. We relied on the main stand being in good shape only 7-8 years ago to meet with that ridiculous rule! And spent money on it which makes this "oh the main stand is a dump and not fit for purpose" arguement all the more patronizing and angersome.

nuff said? .... probly not :unknw:

Completely agree with the point about hospitality being moved back to main stand and if cash was available I would love to see executive boxes along front of main stand (i've suggested that before). However, it is difficult to sell corporate hospitality at moment for two reasons - firstly, the economic climate meaning that not many firms have spare cash about and secondly, the product on the park is poor. And that latter point is why the punters are also voting with their feet and the clubs weekly income is down.

Another question I have is why we reverted to the portacabin ticketing arrangements last night when cash was accepted at turnstiles for Clyde and Berwick games? Anyone have any idea as to why???

Completely agree with the point about hospitality being moved back to main stand and if cash was available I would love to see executive boxes along front of main stand (i've suggested that before). However, it is difficult to sell corporate hospitality at moment for two reasons - firstly, the economic climate meaning that not many firms have spare cash about and secondly, the product on the park is poor. And that latter point is why the punters are also voting with their feet and the clubs weekly income is down.

Another question I have is why we reverted to the portacabin ticketing arrangements last night when cash was accepted at turnstiles for Clyde and Berwick games? Anyone have any idea as to why???

Not completely sure, but possibly because a bigger crowd was expected than at those of the other 2 games you mentioned (& I think it was higher, was definitely higher than that of the Berwick game). Another reason could well be a lack of staff to run the portacabin/aitken suite at the time of those games, due to holidays etc. Only speculation on my part however.

Pretty sure you need 'disclosure' to work with kids. That would be a big stumbling block with regard to volunteers I'd imagine!

I need a Disclosure Cert for my work, and it only costs about £20 or so per person, and some folk like myself might already have a valid certificate. I'm sure the training would cost a bit unless it could be done in-house, but I don't see them as insurmountable obstacles. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but the atmosphere at Firhill is so depressing, I can't see it really drawing in much in the way of new fans. As mentioned, with the product on the park being what it is, we're losing what supporters we do have. The kids for free is a great idea, the flag day is a great idea, the wear your colours with pride day is great, but in the end, facing an empty stand, next to a grassy knoll is just draining. Get the Shed boys either next to the away support, or at least closer to the rest of the home support, and get the kids waving their flags over at the main stand. Sadly all this most likely costs more than we have.

I need a Disclosure Cert for my work, and it only costs about £20 or so per person, and some folk like myself might already have a valid certificate. I'm sure the training would cost a bit unless it could be done in-house, but I don't see them as insurmountable obstacles. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but the atmosphere at Firhill is so depressing, I can't see it really drawing in much in the way of new fans. As mentioned, with the product on the park being what it is, we're losing what supporters we do have. The kids for free is a great idea, the flag day is a great idea, the wear your colours with pride day is great, but in the end, facing an empty stand, next to a grassy knoll is just draining. Get the Shed boys either next to the away support, or at least closer to the rest of the home support, and get the kids waving their flags over at the main stand. Sadly all this most likely costs more than we have.

We can all look forward to the day when there will simply be two big walls in place of the bing and the main stand.

We can all look forward to the day when there will simply be two big walls in place of the bing and the main stand.

You'd laugh if it weren't true! It's going to feel like a prison - we'll actually be longing for the little bit of nature that is the bing. Maybe they could introduce badgers and owls to the bing, put pond in and make it a wee nature reserve - charge local school children 5p for a tour. Ack, the Tories are binning nature reserves so it won't work. Shame.

I understand the logic behind the policy to not give out complimentary tickets anymore (although I wonder if that also apllies to scouts etc), I understand the logic behind reducing the Policing on matchdays (if a little risky if Firhill Rd remains open) and I understand the 'staffing changes' that has seen an influx of volunteers taking the place of paid workers. All good, but here are a couple of things that strike me as not so good...

...The first league game at Firhill was against Dundee, I'd have thought hospitality would have been pretty full. League Cup game versus Falkirk, again Id expect a reasonable number to take up the hospitality. None at Dundee and, as far as Im aware, none at the Falkirk game either. Also, hospitalty was regularly pushed via the OS and mail shots etc, yet that hasn't been happening recently. How much money is made off hospitality? I'd imagine a fair amount so it strikes me as odd that it appears to have disappeared. Anyone know what's goin on?

I don't want to start another row over the decision to merge the Centenary Fund and 1876 Club, I want this Fund to help the Club as much as possible, and Im sure the same goes for lots of others. However, I have heard an increasing amount of people say they have tried to join, filled in the form etc and not had anything taken from their account. At least one of these people have been in touch with the Club regarding this (on more than one occassion) but has had no success. He has obviously given up trying and my advice for him to contact a JTB member and have him/her speak on his behalf was met with the usual apathy regarding the Jags Trust.

I have also contacted the Club regarding upgrading my CF membership to Gold and despite being told EP would be in touch I am still waiting, almost 2 months later. I know, we should keep on at the CLub but it shouldn't be that hard to give them money should it? With this, the hospitality stuff and everything else that is going on regardin debt and Propco I am seriously beginning to wonder what on earth is going on. I can live with the on field stuff (have been doing so for 30 odd years now so Im used to it) but the off field stuff is seriously scary. We're skint, the BoD are continously beating that drum, yet obvious and simple revenue streams are not being utilised as effectively as they should be.

I'm I being overly cynical by asking if this is part of a hidden agenda by those who run our Club?

There was a big push for Hospitality for the dundee game in the weeks leading up to the match. It's very alarming that it then never took place and the club never saw fit to explain why. The stadium development has also all gone quiet so yeah may be it is time for some updates from the club......but will we get them ?

There was a big push for Hospitality for the dundee game in the weeks leading up to the match. It's very alarming that it then never took place and the club never saw fit to explain why. The stadium development has also all gone quiet so yeah may be it is time for some updates from the club......but will we get them ?

Stadium... I can help a bit with that. The planning permission is due to be determined by the end of October.

Are Ladbrooks giving odds for the club to have done their homework this time round?

Hmmm...

of course it's Firhill Developments Limited's planning application, not the club's, but I'd like to think so. Since it's a major development, there has been pre application consultation and there may be a pre decision meeting as part of the process so you'd like to think that the homework has been done.