Christy

jagfaelivi

I guess that we all have different opinions but there seems more or less unanimity that our Geordie boy had a great game and was a worthy man of the match.

Funnily the guy I sit beside always slags him and says he " is just not a footballer" despite my protestations. The same guy was wanting him off from the start - "we can't play wi' nine players" ( the other "passenger" according to him was young Aidan!!!).

Anyway it was good to see this forum endorse my opinions.

But hasn't Christy done well? He would run through a brick wall for us and he has certainly been working on his technical shortcomings. I just love to see him running at the opposition and if Lawless would do the same we might even get one of those penalty thingies sometime this decade. There continues to be an astonishing statistic!

Anyway well done Christy and keep up the good work. You are well on the way to becoming a great Jag!

• Like 3

Having had such a long lay off I was worried he'd lack sharpness or have lost a few yards of pace.

He looks stronger and fitter than ever and even looks like he's gained pace!

His attitude is fantastic, he's obviously worked hard at his weaknesses and is a huge asset to the squad.

Almost 5years now at the Jags, wouldn't be surprised if he was the next to join Doolan in getting to 10.

He won at least five or six balls he had no right to. Usually about 40-60 or even 30-70 in the other player's favour but nicked in ahead of them.

He's never going to be the best technically but a very effective player on his day and offers a more physical option to Lawless and Nesbitt. Good to have him back

• Like 3

He won at least five or six balls he had no right to. Usually about 40-60 or even 30-70 in the other player's favour but nicked in ahead of them.

He's never going to be the best technically but a very effective player on his day and offers a more physical option to Lawless and Nesbitt. Good to have him back

Spot on!

His speed and power at times is awesome. Must scare the hell out of defenders. One run in particular late on last night was exceptional and it took the best tackle of the match from Anderson to dispossess him. That said a couple of Christie's tackles were fantastic as well.

Great to have in the squad as he can cover so many positions and that frees up space on the bench.

Like a new signing. He's obviously worked extremely hard off the pitch to get himself in the shape of his life. I know that he's never out the gym and worked extremely hard to recover from his injury as quick as possible.

I thought he had looked really promising since he came back but last night he was absolutely colossal for us. Man of the match for me, no question.

You really have to tip your hat to a guy who has such an amazing work ethic and really does get the best out of himself. Another fantastic example to the young guys coming through the ranks just now.

I used to think he was rubbish. And that was when the rest of our team was rubbish. I think that history still goes against him with some people. Sometimes the praise is even qualified; he works hards, great attitude etc.

As far as I'm concerned he's now a very good Premership football player and we're very lucky to have him. And I'm delighted for him (because he does happen to have a great attitude)

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1

I'd never seen this Youtube video of highlights of his play for us. ~Want to see a video of a Jags player winning tackles, providing assists, scoring great goals and miss-hit/sclaffed goals, putting in undeniable 100% effort? Then watch this video.

Having said all of that, the sclaffed shot at Airdrie is miles above the rest in the joyful stakes.

I for one hope we can sign him up for the next few years.

Edited by Jaggernaut

The first time I appreciated what Christie could offer was when he was on loan at Albion Rovers. I work in Coatbridge so often knock down across the road to Cliftonhill to see the Rovers and did so a few years back to see them play Forfar (who funnily enough had James Craigen playing that evening who I also left with a much better appreciation of).

I hadn't realised how quick he was until that night. It's quite difficult to appreciate how quick or strong a player is when you're sitting a relative distance away in a stand; but when you're pretty much on the touchline as you are at Cliftonhill, you couldn't help but notice how explosively quick he was. He played on the wing for most of that game and I've not been surprised to see him develop into more of a midfield player rather than as the centre forward we initially signed him as.

He's a reliable guy to have in the squad and as others have said, very underrated by many. Pretty sure he signed a two-year deal in the summer. If he continues to play in the manner he has done so since returning from injury, I suspect we'll be keen to get him on a longer deal - very easy to forget that he's only 24.

• Like 2

Never going to be in any all time Jags legends team however that's only because most of us don't appreciate the work that he does.

A good example of how effective he has been was witnessed at Fir Park a couple of season ago when Banzo was being ripped by Ainsworth at left back when Archie switched Christy and his pace took him out of the match.

Edited by Metz
  • Like 1

Christie Elliott is one of my favourite players. He never gives up, we missed him for his work rate when he was injured and I cannot understand the criticism that he regularly gets from sections of our support.

I certainly can't understand long term Jags supporters giving him grief. To be termed a "Real Jags Player" you've never had to be ultra skilful or even that successful. You just need to give your all, show loyalty to the Club and take pride in playing for Thistle. In my mind if you have those attributes and you remain with us for a good number of years then you ARE a Jags Legend. Big Christie is well on his way to that status.

• Like 1

And the qualified praise continues.

No one else think he's actually become a pretty skilful player?

Sorry if I sounded that way. My point was a generalisation about technical ability not being the be all and end all of being a Jags legend.

I actually think Elliott has a good bit of skill. In particular his close control has improved considerably and he's no longer that easy to dispossess. Besides controlling the ball and being effective at pace requires a fair bit of skill.

Christie's performance against St Johnstone was an absolute joy to watch. As Lady Isobel points out, his close control was top notch. His pace was blistering, and his work rate was the full 100% that footballers often talk about but rarely deliver.

Over 24 hours later and I'm still smiling like a Cheshire cat...

Brilliant stuff.

Really proud of him for the level of football he's come from that he's now established himself in the premier league.

True grafter who never quits and based on tue night one of our fittest players, well done elliot, get him signed up if he isnt already.

Pretty sure he is signed up till end of 2017 season. Banzo will be gone, but we have the basis of a real good squad already if we can get a few more signed up.....especially, Abdul, Dan, Steve, Fred and Gary. Might need another keeper as I will be surprised if Scully hangs around for at least another 2 years as he has no chance of displacing Tomas