Exploring Cowdenbeath

On the look out for suitable pre match hostelries for Saturday. Found this pub guide website with some interesting customer reviews.

Here's a few reviews taken at random

The Dunvegan Bar

THIS BAR I FOUND TO BE SECTARIAN AND TROUBLESOME AND SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN, BUT THE CLIENTELE WOULD JUST MOVE ELSEWHERE IN THE TOWN, ANYWAY ME AND MY WIFE AND OUR FRIENDS WOULD NOT VENTURE IN THIS BAR EVER AGAIN, AS THIS BAR + THE PEOPLE THAT FREQUENT THIS BAR ARE JUST TOTAL WAISTERS. THE SERVICE IS TERRIBLE, NONE REAL ALE, WILL NEVER SET FOOT IN THIS BAR AGAIN

Partners Bar

on my last visit to this bar i was picked up and put over the shoulder of a bouncer who thought he had nothing better to do but carry me down the stairs,am i wrong in thinking there only allowed to touch your elbow, then the manageress ANNA COULDN`T HAVE BEEN ANY WORSE, she never smiles and every thing is a chore for her, i would never recoment this dump to any one,, if you go, mind wipe your feet on the way out

and

I AND THE WIFE AND OUR FRIENDS FOUND THIS PUB TO BE INTIMIDATING, TROUBLESOME AND THE SERVICE WAS TERRIBLE AND NOT A SMILE BY THE BARTENDER. THEY USE BOUNCERS IN THIS BAR IN THE EVENINGS SO BEWARE. BUT WE ALL DECIDED TO LEAVE BEFORE WE FINISHED OUR FIRST DRINK ABOUT 7PM AS YOBS+THE POLICE WERE BUSY WITH TROUBLE AND THIS BEFORE THE DISCO STARTS UPSTAIRS, I HEARD JUST LAST WEEK THAT ONE OF THE DOORMAN FLUNG A BLOKE OUT BODILY + FOR NO APPARENT REASON + THAT THIS IS A FREQUENT OCCURRENCE EVERY WEEKEND+WHAT HAPPENS TO THE DOORMAN NOTHING AS THEY ARE IN FREQUENT TALKING TERMS WITH THE POLICE, WHAT I SEEN THIS PUB SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN BY THE POLICE+AUTHORITIES, ONLY PLUS IS IT'S NEAR RAIL STATION FOR EDINBURGH

and there's always The Glen describing itself as a "Family Run Free House Rangers Supporters Bar" I particularly liked this excerpt from a review albeit from a few years back

Recently had a bar lunch in "The Glen " which was very good especially as I had the steak upgrade. My wife was however a wee bit disappointed given that she is from a strong Rangers background that there was no tunes etc playing during our lunch.
:D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowdenbeath really is an inbred hellhole. It's a hundred times worse than K'dy and that takes fome doing.

I recommend malaria and tetanus injections for all Jags fans making the trip.

Be warned about the local neds who have a track record of causling bother with visiting fans.

who done the song about them? was it Cosgrove? I cant remember the exact words, but it was based on the 'addams family' and was something like

"they come from near lochgelly

their stinky & their smelly

they huvny got a telly

the cowden family"

"The girls all have moustaches

They’ve all got nasty rashes

And nae c**t ever washes

The Cowden Family"

None of which are recommended by Beath fans.

Care to share which are?

who done the song about them? was it Cosgrove? I cant remember the exact words, but it was based on the 'addams family' and was something like

"they come from near lochgelly

their stinky & their smelly

they huvny got a telly

the cowden family"

"The girls all have moustaches

They’ve all got nasty rashes

And nae c**t ever washes

The Cowden Family"

Whats the betting these get a few renditions on Saturday?

Despite my initial post, which was a wee bit disingenuous anyway, I'm sure Cowdenbeath will be one of the better away days. Central Park is certainly different, in fact very different, from some of the meccano type grounds we all too often visit and I'm reliably informed that most of the pubs aren't nearly as bad as that. Besides pubs, shops, train station & parking all handy for the ground unlike too many other Div 1 venues.

Just got to remember that this is Dick Campbell territory and a certain Donald Findlay QC (I think I now know what QC stands for) is the club chairman. No truth in the rumour that they want to rename the town East Bridgeton.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Cowdenbeath really is an inbred hellhole. It's a hundred times worse than K'dy and that takes fome doing.

I recommend malaria and tetanus injections for all Jags fans making the trip.

Be warned about the local neds who have a track record of causling bother with visiting fans.

There will be bother if their fans see or hear of this thread.

A Cowdenbeath fan on P&B recommended Wee Jimmy's when I asked for a decent pub that will be showing the Arsenal game.

Invariably however we never make it to any of the recommended pubs we are given simply choosing the first one we come accross, hope its none of the onces singled out above.

Recently had a bar lunch in "The Glen " which was very good especially as I had the steak upgrade. My wife was however a wee bit disappointed given that she is from a strong Rangers background that there was no tunes etc playing during our lunch.

What the Feck is a "Steak Upgrade"???? :thinking:

Was thinking the same thing... Bl00dy east coasters.

Steak v1.1?

Maybe he was served a popeseye steak :unsure:

where the feck is this wee jimmies? looked on google maps, up and down the high street, and even though its apparently there, canny see it!

It appears to be between the A&A Chinese Takeaway and the RBS Branch. It's a disused lot on Google Street View. Remember, some of these images are up to two years old.