Just In

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worrying thing is that it will be the same duds who have employed recent duds that will employ a new dud.

Does anyone trust the BoD to make a good appointment?

(this is all hypothetical anyway as Bunter will not do the decent thing and go, and we cannot afford to sack him).

The worrying thing is that it will be the same duds who have employed recent duds that will employ a new dud.

Does anyone trust the BoD to make a good appointment?

(this is all hypothetical anyway as Bunter will not do the decent thing and go, and we cannot afford to sack him).

McCall was a good appointment, that has been proven, although things are pretty bad at the moment.

People keep going on about the '5 year plan', it isn't McCall's fault that he had to sell main players in that plan (Harkins & Twaddle). It isn't McCall's fault that his budget is being cut year on year. It isn't McCall's fault that the players he really wanted to sign were signed by rival clubs (Dundee, Morton, Dunfermline etc). Yes McCall has made mistakes in some of the players he has bought, some of them expensive mistakes, but so does every manager. The fact is he's brought in over £200k in transfer fees, earned us a fair amount of money in the 3 games against Rangers, got us a youth system that appears to we working with players coming through into the 1st team & also got Paul Cairney with 2yrs left on his deal (where he'll surely be sold at some point for a profit).

Yes, things are bad at the moment & McCall has to take some of the blame, but he's working with his hands tied behind his back. The main problem appears to be lack of motivation in the team, that has nothing to do with money. Is that coming about because the manager isn't motivated? Only Ian & the players can answer that.

McCall was a good appointment, that has been proven, although things are pretty bad at the moment.

People keep going on about the '5 year plan', it isn't McCall's fault that he had to sell main players in that plan (Harkins & Twaddle). It isn't McCall's fault that his budget is being cut year on year. It isn't McCall's fault that the players he really wanted to sign were signed by rival clubs (Dundee, Morton, Dunfermline etc). Yes McCall has made mistakes in some of the players he has bought, some of them expensive mistakes, but so does every manager. The fact is he's brought in over £200k in transfer fees, earned us a fair amount of money in the 3 games against Rangers, got us a youth system that appears to we working with players coming through into the 1st team & also got Paul Cairney with 2yrs left on his deal (where he'll surely be sold at some point for a profit).

Yes, things are bad at the moment & McCall has to take some of the blame, but he's working with his hands tied behind his back. The main problem appears to be lack of motivation in the team, that has nothing to do with money. Is that coming about because the manager isn't motivated? Only Ian & the players can answer that.

See i like you as a poster but thats crap. twaddle was only sold becoz mccall didnt think he was up to much, not for money. who are the firhill scouts? stevie wonder and the superbs? hodge?, shit and a lazy sh*tebag. greehan no better than a mediocre 2nd division man (and i want him to be good!). John mcglynn has the same if not less budget, compare his team.com. go compare.

Mccall is pure pants.

See i like you as a poster but thats crap. twaddle was only sold becoz mccall didnt think he was up to much, not for money. who are the firhill scouts? stevie wonder and the superbs? hodge?, shit and a lazy sh*tebag. greehan no better than a mediocre 2nd division man (and i want him to be good!). John mcglynn has the same if not less budget, compare his team.com. go compare.

Mccall is pure pants.

He wasnt the only one there were plenty posters on here calling Twaddle all sorts. Sure there were times he was great but there were also times he was guff and looked a lazy useless article

He wasnt the only one there were plenty posters on here calling Twaddle all sorts. Sure there were times he was great but there were also times he was guff and looked a lazy useless article

He looked rubbish for Falkirk on Tues. I found myself agreeing with McCall's quote the day he signed Paddy Boyle.

The side is very low on confidence; it’s not a problem with effort. They ran their socks off but as is usually the case nothing would fall for us and Cowden defended like it was their cup final. The ball dropped around the Cowden box all game but did not fall for us. A lot to do with bad delivery but a wee bit of luck would be very welcome for us.

McCall made a mistake with Donnelly today, playing behind the forwards sounds good but it took away our width and we lost out in the centre of the park. Was expecting Hodge on at half time.

Willie Kinniburgh did okay, Paton played well and liam looked more like his old self but was marked very closely.

Mccall is pure pants.

I can guarentee you McCall didn't sell Twaddle because he 'thought he was pants'. You mention Hodge, who started well, on paper Hodge was a good signing. He had agreed a pre-contract with Hibs before Hughes took over as manager, not just McCall who thought he was a player! The points I made are all true, but are being missed because of current form. I was McCall's biggest fan & have always backed him, I'm now not sure if he's the man for the job, I was just saying some things that are being forgotten at the current time. Anyway, we're stuck with him unless he walks away, simple as that.

Raith is a good example & I knew it would be brought up, there's no defence against it. He's doing what Lambie did for us, I will say though, I still expect Raith to finish 5th at best, they'll fall away.

I simply cannot believe there are Thistle fans who travelled to Greenock last weekend and Cowdenbeath yesterday who think McCall is anything other than useless.

Yesterday was laughable, McCall clearly did not have them motivated, he made substitutions but at no point did he change the style of play, the tactics or the formation. I watched him before he sent on his subs, he called them over, they got stripped and they came on. At no point did McCall give them any messages to give to other players. At no point did McCall tell them what they should do on the park. At no point did he show them or tell them about weaknesses in the opposition which he thought we should try and exploit. Utterly hopeless. I hope he heard the pelters he was taking yesterday, he must go.

Had Paton's superb shot gone in instead of rattling off the post it would have been massively unfair on Cowdenbeath who, despite being shite (just like Morton last week) were still better than us.

I can guarentee you McCall didn't sell Twaddle because he 'thought he was pants'. You mention Hodge, who started well, on paper Hodge was a good signing. He had agreed a pre-contract with Hibs before Hughes took over as manager, not just McCall who thought he was a player! The points I made are all true, but are being missed because of current form. I was McCall's biggest fan & have always backed him, I'm now not sure if he's the man for the job, I was just saying some things that are being forgotten at the current time. Anyway, we're stuck with him unless he walks away, simple as that.

Raith is a good example & I knew it would be brought up, there's no defence against it. He's doing what Lambie did for us, I will say though, I still expect Raith to finish 5th at best, they'll fall away.

You're probably correct re Hodge. Surrounded by better players than we've got he might even shine if only as he's left sided and wouldn't face so much competition. But at our level we need our central midfielders to be combative & hard tackling. Either that or be a goal threat. Hodge is neither. I'm far from convinced that he's any better than Bannigan, who's got age and potential on his side.

Feel the need to retract my comment Re Twads, emotions running high, copious amounts of alcohol involved etc etc. Saw yogi Hughes at central park yesterday, heres hoping hes reconsidering taking hodge at easter road! Like u say though, cant afford to sack the wee jobbie so we are stuck with him. worse luck. :thumbdown:

Edited by kennymac29

I can guarentee you McCall didn't sell Twaddle because he 'thought he was pants'. You mention Hodge, who started well, on paper Hodge was a good signing. He had agreed a pre-contract with Hibs before Hughes took over as manager, not just McCall who thought he was a player!

Nope. Hodge had verbally agreed to join St. Mirren before coming to us.

He, in my mind, is another glaring example of the manager and coaches' failings on the trainig pitch. Hodge, in a handful of games (including the first against Dundee last season) has demonstrated a fantastic range of passing.

However, it's clear he'd rather sit than push forward, so why not work on his tackling in training and play him as the last line of defence/first point of attack and position him next to Rowson, giving the latter the impetus to push on a bit as well as covering exposed areas of the pitch as he does so well?

I simply cannot believe there are Thistle fans who travelled to Greenock last weekend and Cowdenbeath yesterday who think McCall is anything other than useless.

Yesterday was laughable, McCall clearly did not have them motivated, he made substitutions but at no point did he change the style of play, the tactics or the formation. I watched him before he sent on his subs, he called them over, they got stripped and they came on. At no point did McCall give them any messages to give to other players. At no point did McCall tell them what they should do on the park. At no point did he show them or tell them about weaknesses in the opposition which he thought we should try and exploit. Utterly hopeless. I hope he heard the pelters he was taking yesterday, he must go.

Had Paton's superb shot gone in instead of rattling off the post it would have been massively unfair on Cowdenbeath who, despite being shite (just like Morton last week) were still better than us.

Agree 100%. Also with regards to McCall having his hands tied. Well yeah, if thats the case, don't tighten the rope further by re-signing en mass a bunch of guys not upto it.

Lets also remember poor skint McCall wasted 10 grand on a donkey posing as a striker only a few months back. McCall who has the best eye this side of the sun for a player apparently obviously thought pissing away 10k on Grehan was better than signing John Baird for **** all!

He, in my mind, is another glaring example of the manager and coaches' failings on the trainig pitch. Hodge, in a handful of games (including the first against Dundee last season) has demonstrated a fantastic range of passing.

However, it's clear he'd rather sit than push forward, so why not work on his tackling in training and play him as the last line of defence/first point of attack and position him next to Rowson, giving the latter the impetus to push on a bit as well as covering exposed areas of the pitch as he does so well?

100% agree. I feel sorry for Hodge. He also makes me thing of Ryan McStay. Now fair enough, it's not the managers responsibility to ensure that they reach their potential, but the number of talented players that turn up at Firhill only to see their career go down the pan is worrying.

Of course there are opposite examples, such as Cairney and Harkins.

Ach, I don't know. Agree with your point on Hodge anyway...

It is a fact that Hodge was going to Hibs. Mixu Paatelainen was then sacked and replaced with John Hughes and Hughes had his own transfer targets. Not doubting that St Mirren were in for him at the same time as us though.

My comments regarding the training pitch extend to the players' pre-match and half time preparations, too. They treat the shooting drills during the warm up like a fucking joke and are content to play keepy uppy during the break.

How about weighting Paul Paton's right foot and getting him to pass to his teammates with his left? How about demanding the team take proper shots at goal instead of half-arsed sclaffed efforts that they follow up with a chuckle? How about telling Erskine to quit bouncing the ball off his knees and getting him to repeatedly hit crosses into the box for 15 minutes?

They look like a bunch of work-shy shysters, an attitude that looks tom me to transmit from the top.

It is a fact that Hodge was going to Hibs. Mixu Paatelainen was then sacked and replaced with John Hughes and Hughes had his own transfer targets. Not doubting that St Mirren were in for him at the same time as us though.

I've not seen anything confirming his signing, merely rumours of it.

On the point of Hodge, he had agreed a pre-contract to join Hibs, which was then cancelled. St. Mirren offered him a trial, which he accepted but when Thistle offered him a 2yr deal, he decided to take it (before the trial started). Not that it really matters.

It's a strange thing to say, but Hodge may well be more suited to playing in the SPL than the 1st Div. More time on the ball to pick a pass, better players around you who can cover your weaknesses.

Hodge & McStay have turned out to be almost the exact same, however, I do believe that Hodge is a better player. Very frustrating.

We all know McCall's hands are tied financially but the money that has been available to him has been wasted on players who cant cut it. I could not believe Kinniburgh got a contract extension last season. Opposing defenders must rub there hands when they are playing us cause they know they will have an easy 90 mins.

On the point of Hodge, he had agreed a pre-contract to join Hibs, which was then cancelled. St. Mirren offered him a trial, which he accepted but when Thistle offered him a 2yr deal, he decided to take it (before the trial started). Not that it really matters.

It's a strange thing to say, but Hodge may well be more suited to playing in the SPL than the 1st Div. More time on the ball to pick a pass, better players around you who can cover your weaknesses.

Hodge & McStay have turned out to be almost the exact same, however, I do believe that Hodge is a better player. Very frustrating.

I agree that Hodge and McStay are very similar, particular with the outcome, but doesn't that say something about the managers judgement?

What a horrible afternoon. I know mccall has to take some of the blame but the players were a disgrace. Some of them need to get a grip and show a bit of commitment. Look at raith rovers, a team that does not have a huge budget, small squad and players who are average, but they give 100% every week and really care and do a bit extra for the team and are now top of the league. I dont see some of our players doing that wee bit extra for each other. That is now twice in a week where we have conceded from a corner. You would have thought that the players might have learned. Cairney was poor and looks like he has gone backwards from last season. The first touch of players such as rowson was dreadful. McCall needs to give the players a kick up the backside. Also i saw paddy boyle at the johnnie walker championship in gleneagles today.

First off, its not Cowan & Co's fault that we are dominating nearly every team we have played this season for 90mins, and still not winning. I can't blame the BoD for that, after all a smack-addict could have scored the chances that we missed yesterday.

However ultimately its the boards fault for the lack of depth in the squad, they have not allowed McCall to add to the squad over the summer therefore we are vulnerable should a player get injured.

The only way to sort things out it to keep sustained pressure on McCall and the BoD to go! McCall has not been as good as some people give him credit for, he has made a lot of bad signings/loans etc. (Stephen Connor, Steven Murray, Greg Cameron, Ryan McStay, Paul Paton, Paul DiGiacomo, Lucas Akins, Paul Keegan, Steven Lennon, Bryan Hodge, Chris Erskine, Kevin McKinlay) And the added insult is that he signs the crap players on long term deals.

He struggles to motivate the team, he is not a tactician, he takes very little responsibility for the losses we incur. Yes, we finished 2nd in his 2nd season, however the quality of the league that season was poor, and also it says a lot when we were unable to keep our best players.

Long story short, McCall out, BoD out!

However we need to get behind the team as if we get relegated it could spell the end of The Partick Thistle Football Club.