What's Happening?

jagfaelivi

Balatoni, anybody?

Maybe not as guaranteed first choice, but....... Guaranteed to score a handful of goals from corners..... Just saying, like.......

I'm one who often argues that centrebacks improve year on year and we shouldn't be over critical of past performances. With Conrad I'd have to make an exception. Pity in a way as I pointed out elsewhere we missed his distribution and attack-mindedness last season. Speed wasn't his forte but he was quick enough with the ball at his feet.

First and foremost we need a rock solid central defender alongside Lindsay, who is one that is bound to improve, but needs helping along. Whoever that is will probably not be a youngster. As is his usual policy Archie will most likely look to players younger than Balatoni to make up the rest of the defensive squad. So even as a backup Conrad is probably ruled out on two counts.

I'm one who often argues that centrebacks improve year on year and we shouldn't be over critical of past performances. With Conrad I'd have to make an exception. Pity in a way as I pointed out elsewhere we missed his distribution and attack-mindedness last season. Speed wasn't his forte but he was quick enough with the ball at his feet.

First and foremost we need a rock solid central defender alongside Lindsay, who is one that is bound to improve, but needs helping along. Whoever that is will probably not be a youngster. As is his usual policy Archie will most likely look to players younger than Balatoni to make up the rest of the defensive squad. So even as a backup Conrad is probably ruled out on two counts.

That and he'd be an obvious step backwards from Seaborne and Frans.

I can see us going in for Gasparatto, released by Rangers, to be the third choice centre back. Got good reviews from Morton and airdrie when he was on loan there.

Any other signings for centre back will probably be much more experienced, possibly similar to Greer although I can't see it being him personally. We need someone who can guide Lindsay through matches and help bring him on and improve his game.

We also desperately need to replace Bannigan with a similar style of player. We don't have anyone else in midfield with his level of energy and ability driving forward. He's been crucial to our play for a few seasons, and we'll either need to work out a new system or get someone to do a similar job.

Other than that, the only must signing, in my opinion, would be a utility man type player - someone who can do a job along the back and maybe even fill in midfield if required. It's a shame Jordan McMillan is such a waster because he'd have been perfect.

A new striker and winger would be nice, but I don't believe either are essential in the way the other positions are.

Gasparatto and Lindsay played a dozen games together at Airdrie. So that would be beneficial.

Both have played a fair amount of games over the last season but I'd like two more experienced players to move Lindsay on.

While I didn't dislike any of Seabourne, Frans or Miller, I'd arrived at the view that the management/ tactics/ Osman being in front of them were more responsible for solid defence than any individual defender. Certain games last season where Frans and Seabourne had shockers (2 of which spring to mind being when Osman didn't play). Think we can replace with upgrades. Agree with comments about their use of ball too.

Again no issue with Miller, but surprised at amount of concern he's left. Decent enough, but no stand out at either RB or CB. The notion he could do a season long job at CB based on 3 or so games filing in there is wide of the mark in my view.

Bring back Steve Welsh!!!

...quickly snapped up by a far superior team than ours in by far a superior league...

Lierse are not superior to us, they are in the second division and have been a shambles for several years.

Freddie knocked back a 3-year deal from them when he left them previously.