Scotland's Game

angry gaz

I honestly don't see why getting rid of teams in the scottish league will mean better players and the standrad will drasticallyrise.

It won't, it's a point which gets bandied about in the media (most recently by Ann Budge I think) and goes generally unchallenged, but stands up to absolutely no scrutiny whatsoever.

• Like 1

I honestly don't see why getting rid of teams in the scottish league will mean better players and the standrad will drasticallyrise.

My interpretation of reducing the number of professional clubs is simply to reduce the distribution of money. Those at the top do not see merit in giving clubs at the bottom a share of the money. Yet if there was no funding for smaller clubs, amateur clubs or children's football teams, there would be a smaller supply of footballers and a reduced interest in the game.

• Like 1

My interpretation of reducing the number of professional clubs is simply to reduce the distribution of money. Those at the top do not see merit in giving clubs at the bottom a share of the money. Yet if there was no funding for smaller clubs, amateur clubs or children's football teams, there would be a smaller supply of footballers and a reduced interest in the game.

The teams at the bottom get an absolute pittance anyway. It's a ludicrous argument made by people who know absolutely nothing about football.

ETA: breakdown of how the prize money is distributed. http://stv.tv/sport/football/1331865-spfl-sides-to-share-record-21m-prize-money-payout-in-201516-season/

Edited by oneteaminglasgow
  • Like 1

What?

ETA: just out of interest, how many senior clubs should we have? What is the ideal number which would make the league more competitive? And which ones should we get rid of?

We need to rid ourselves of 2 local clubs, and the vile stench they bring to the game, eradicating the grossly unfair imbalance and blatant cheating (directly & indirectly) both have done against all clubs

• Like 5

The teams at the bottom get an absolute pittance anyway. It's a ludicrous argument made by people who know absolutely nothing about football.

ETA: breakdown of how the prize money is distributed. http://stv.tv/sport/...-201516-season/

If you take League 2 out of that you'd have £474,750 to split between 32 teams which if distributed evenly gives each club an £14,836 a year, enough for each club to employ 1 person on minimum wage (but not living wage). Getting Scottish clubs into the latter stages of European competition and the national team qualifying for major tournaments regularly does seem like to a lot to ask of 32 people on that salary. In reality though they'd just give as much of it as they could to Rangers and Celtic.

In the world of thoroughbred racehorses, the sperm from famous, successful horses is traded. Perhaps something similar could be tried to improve Scottish football, with sperm donors like Messi, Ronaldo, etc being used to improve the gene pool. Admittedly it would take some time, and would require willing accomplices, but given the abject failure of conventional methods of qualifying for international competitions, it's worth a shot!!

• Like 1

Yet the wages no matter how poor are too often given to non SCots so how do we develop better players?

There would need to be a total restructure of the way the Football is governed within Scotland. I can only speak from seeing the Football Federation of Australia making its changes - this included abolishing the top flight competition, the 'old NSL (National Soccer League) in favour of brand new teams to be placed in a new national competition (A-League) that broke the previous ethnic/racial divides, I am not suggesting teams are changed or abolished here but that was the extent they were willing to go to save football in Australia.

The new competition came into effect 2005, Australia has since qualified for each world cup since 2006 (previously having done so only once in 1974) they have won the 2015 Asian Cup (European Championships Equivalent) and for the first time in the AFC a single nation has held both the Asian Cup at a national level and the Asian Champions League title at a club level with Western Sydney Wanderers.

In the same way that we develop children's learning, football should be handled in the same way. Players need a clear pathway from grassroots to national team - this would mean the amalgamation of all current affiliates (Amateurs, colts, ladies, etc etc) under one SFA banner, each zone/region could have one member of the SFA that is responsible for promoting the game and administering the competition. This would not immediately transform Scottish football but within 15-20 years the players who started with the system would begin representing the national side and begin to be competing in a growing spotlight.

Lazy braodcasting - essentially a "clips" show (not dissimilar to "You've Been Framed" in that respect) - cheap to produce - a summer "filler".

I'd agree - they've even got a clip of me & son at a Scotland game at the end credits - the up-to-date clip is from the 2006 france game which we won - son is now 6 foot 3 and towers over me (and naw I'm not the ginger one!) & I have even less hair

Edited by gianlucatoni

I heard a trailer on Radio Scotland this morning in which Craig Brown indicated that he had proposed that clubs would be required to have a number of under 21year old home nationality players in their squads, to bring talent through to the international squad. This model had worked in France, with the likes of Henry coming through the system.

Apparently it was voted down by the OF, "as it would damaged their prospects in Europe". (That worked well for them).

I heard a trailer on Radio Scotland this morning in which Craig Brown indicated that he had proposed that clubs would be required to have a number of under 21year old home nationality players in their squads, to bring talent through to the international squad. This model had worked in France, with the likes of Henry coming through the system.

Apparently it was voted down by the OF, "as it would damaged their prospects in Europe". (That worked well for them).

Big Dan I had this conversation just yesterday as a number of the guys I work with found their team on the receiving end of 7 goals at the hands of Barcelona on Tuesday night, the SFA should now realise that Scottish Football needs a swift course correction. To say that they would diminish their chances in Europe by including younger Scottish Players is just a ridiculous argument!

Irony for the OF should be that they were greedy and it is finally time for them to realise that Scottish football will only compete in Europe if the week in week out their metal is being tested in competitive football against quality opposition.

If thye can't change things because the Old Firm can just veto everything then Scottish Football is done for. I don't understand how these people can't see that more of the same will inevitably result in more of the same, i.e. the standard of Scottish football, including the Old Firm, getting progressively worse.

Edited by scottymagoo

If thye can't change things because the Old Firm can just veto everything then Scottish Football is done for. I don't understand how these people can't see that more of the same will inevitably result in more of the same, i.e. the standard of Scottish football, including the Old Firm, getting progressively worse.

The joke is that when the blue cheek was out of the top league they had a vote to change how many clubs were required to vote against something to block it (from 2 to 3 I think) - Celtic voted to keep the status quo and Aberdeen voted with Celtic so it wasn't changed. I guess Aberdeen thought they were going to be replacing he H*ns as part of a new Old Firm but looking at thier recent form it looks like that will come back to bite them on the bum.

There would need to be a total restructure of the way the Football is governed within Scotland. I can only speak from seeing the Football Federation of Australia making its changes - this included abolishing the top flight competition, the 'old NSL (National Soccer League) in favour of brand new teams to be placed in a new national competition (A-League) that broke the previous ethnic/racial divides, I am not suggesting teams are changed or abolished here but that was the extent they were willing to go to save football in Australia.

The new competition came into effect 2005, Australia has since qualified for each world cup since 2006 (previously having done so only once in 1974) they have won the 2015 Asian Cup (European Championships Equivalent) and for the first time in the AFC a single nation has held both the Asian Cup at a national level and the Asian Champions League title at a club level with Western Sydney Wanderers.

In the same way that we develop children's learning, football should be handled in the same way. Players need a clear pathway from grassroots to national team - this would mean the amalgamation of all current affiliates (Amateurs, colts, ladies, etc etc) under one SFA banner, each zone/region could have one member of the SFA that is responsible for promoting the game and administering the competition. This would not immediately transform Scottish football but within 15-20 years the players who started with the system would begin representing the national side and begin to be competing in a growing spotlight.

How was it pitched to the existing clubs(or owners)that they would better off in the new structure. Was it done in conjunction with a new tv deal or something.

How was it pitched to the existing clubs(or owners)that they would better off in the new structure. Was it done in conjunction with a new tv deal or something.

There was a wider conflict within Australian Football at the time, the Government commissioned an Enquiry the following points were raised

a) The failure of the Socceroos to qualify for the FIFA World Cup and FIFA Confederations Cup due to there being inadequate funds to send European based players to friendlies and the OFC Nations Cup,

B) The investigation by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Four Corners programme into conflicts of interest and mismanagement at the Board level at Soccer Australia.

c) The constant in-fighting between political factions and concentration of voting and legislative powers in a relative minority of people perpetuating bad governance.

d) The overt resistance to accept the government enquiry, and even an initial refusal to accept its recommendations despite the balance of government and public opinion seeking rapid implementation. (Information taken from Wiki).

Upon the findings the previous board resigned in its entirety - former PM John Howard now involved with the Australian Sports Commissioned (ASC) is rumoured to have gone to see Mr Frank Lowy and asked for him to take the reigns of a new governing body, this was then known as Football Federation Australia. The ASC threatened and said that we are going to pull the pin on your funding if you do not endorse and reform as per the Crawford Report, a year later in 2003 the National Soccer League Task Force issued a new report (Click Here to See Report) The following quote comes from Page 2 of this report:

"There can be no question that a new start for the national competition is absolutely essential, requiring a complete change to what currently exists. The current NSL must cease operations, with a new national competition established in its place."

With direct reference to your comment Lenziejag at no point where any team going to place in a new national competition - the report recommended the following should happen:

That: 36. The League commence in the 2004/2005 season as a new competition, with the current NSL terminating at the end of the current season.

37. ASA seek assurances from State Federations that excluded NSL clubs will be accepted to play in the top division of their respective State competitions.

38. ASA immediately put in place procedures to protect both clubs and players where a current NSL club is unsuccessful in becoming a member of the League.

Effectively the teams in order to maintain playing were dropped out of a national league sent back to their top tier within the state league competition. They had to meet a criteria and most could never meet the standard set. there was 20 initial Bidders, with only 12 Consortium's placing a final bid for 8 places in the new national competition.Football Federation Australia had secured a national TV deal which the NSL had never managed to do and a major league sponsor in Hyundai Motors. Once the 8 Licenses has been issued the Hyundai A-League opened its Inaugural season in 2005/2006.