Amidst all the weeping and gnashing of teeth, that seems almost mandatory at Firhill. My Saturday was fair cheered up to see Doug Somner at the game on Saturday and looking so well.

Big Doug was always a favorite of mine, but he sealed his immortality with a winning goal against Celtic in around 1977, if memory serves.. Funnilly enough I remember that day as if it was yesterday a drench Glasgow afternoon can always be enlivened by a win over any of the ugly sisters!

my first game ay Firhill was in November 1977 and Dougie was described in the paper the following day as having "risen like a Harrier Jump-jet above the Aberdeen defence to head home the only goal of the match. I remember being behind the goal when he scored and changing ends to be behind the goal in both halves as the supporter wandered through each other at halftime.

Every time I return to Firhill in the anticipation of witnessing that magic again.

Sheer class

His goal against Aberdeen when we went second in the league is etched in my memory as is header to get our first in 2-1 win against rangers. Another thing i remember vividly...Bertie Auld quoted in the papers 'i will never sell any player to another Scottish team'. Wee sh*te did though.

• Like 1

In his interview in hospitality on Saturday, it was said that he's the only player to be in both the Jags and St M Halls of Fame. Great achievement.

Just watched the video of the interview and he came over as a modest, pleasant guy. Someone you'd like to know. As someone above said a real gentleman.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I've heard Dougie speak before.

For such a pleasant gentleman, he got it RIGHT UP any opposing CH, especially the Old Firm.

Our current strikers, especially the ever so nice Doolan, they should take a look at some old videos of the war horse Mr Somner. I think Ade is in the same mould but possibly not so adept at bursting the onion bag.