Development Team

Maestro

Our initial 2 goal lead was rather flattering tho' the second goal was a great team effort. Lindau sums up the game well so little to add. We were just too lightweight against a more powerful unit. I would be surprised if there wasn't quite a gap in the average age as well. Cullen, apart from his size, looks every bit a keeper and wasn't I think at fault with any of the goals.

My MotM tho' would be McCarthy. Rarely wasteful and like a lot of good players seems to have more time on the ball. His turn with the ball leading up to our third goal was sheer class. Different type of player but reminds me of Bannigan at that age.

No disgrace in getting beaten by about the best team (along with Hibs) we play against.

Our initial 2 goal lead was rather flattering tho' the second goal was a great team effort. Lindau sums up the game well so little to add. We were just too lightweight against a more powerful unit. I would be surprised if there wasn't quite a gap in the average age as well. Cullen, apart from his size, looks every bit a keeper and wasn't I think at fault with any of the goals.

My MotM tho' would be McCarthy. Rarely wasteful and like a lot of good players seems to have more time on the ball. His turn with the ball leading up to our third goal was sheer class. Different type of player but reminds me of Bannigan at that age.

No disgrace in getting beaten by about the best team (along with Hibs) we play against.

They are the best development side I have seen this season but they do look a fair bit older than our guys. I thought we were very unlucky today. The 2nd half display was excellent. Totally agree re young McCarthy. Rarely wasted a ball. The young lad at left back impressed me greatly and with Penrice there as well, we will be well covered in a few years time for when Callum either moves on or gets injured

They are the best development side I have seen this season but they do look a fair bit older than our guys. I thought we were very unlucky today. The 2nd half display was excellent. Totally agree re young McCarthy. Rarely wasted a ball. The young lad at left back impressed me greatly and with Penrice there as well, we will be well covered in a few years time for when Callum either moves on or gets injured

I believe we have occasionally played one or two 17 year olds in our development side and certainly some not much older, so I think we do have a relatively young squad compared to some.

I believe we have occasionally played one or two 17 year olds in our development side and certainly some not much older, so I think we do have a relatively young squad compared to some.

Someone pointed out (maybe on P& B) that 'Well weren't that much older in average than our team on Sunday. They certainly were a good bit more physical. I think when a few more bulk up a bit we'll have a few serious contenders for first team players. Penrice for instance is away learning the more physical side to the game but not before learning the basics with the U20s.

McCarthy has only recently turned 18, Penrice likewise. Callum Wilson and Fleming (who's came in for Penrice) are both only 17. All are skillful footballers with every chance of being successful.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Shame for the boys yesterday. their heads will have been down after the quarter final, a win would have given them a lift.

I enjoyed the game on Sunday and thought they were unlucky, given their second half performance. They dominated and restricted Motherwell to a few chances on the break. Motherwell did look slightly bigger, I got the impression they had a slightly older team than we did.

The players that impressed me the most were Matthew McInally and Dominic Docherty, albeit both made mistakes - McInally for the missed Well penalty and Docherty for their winner. McInally has definitely filled out a bit and has great pace and a very dangerous cross. I know Andy McCarthy is the midfielder tipped for great things with us but I though Docherty was a stand out. Mind you, it is hard to tell them apart sometimes!

I can't get to many of the Under 20 games because of when they are played but, as I have said before, I would urge anyone who can get along to see the youngsters to do so. We really have got some great potential at the club and it's so good to see them play the game the way they do.

• Like 1

Also, if Kevin Nisbet (that's Nisbet, not Nesbit) isn't going to be involved with the first team for the rest of the season, I'd like to see him put out on loan again.

I know him and Ian McCall didn't see eye to eye at Ayr United but I think he would do a job for a Championship team. Every time I have seen him he has impressed me. He's just lacking a bit of consistency and needs to work on his speed but I think he could be a top player.

Not a great day for the U20s but certainly extenuating circumstances. The Pars had three (maybe four) overage players and we were down to our bare bones. With no McMullen and Syme offski Wee McInally had to play in the centre of defence. Sadly he picked up what looked to be a bad injury just before half time. We only had two outfield subs and before we could reorganise at the interval Pars nipped in and scored with the last kick of the half.

We went to a makeshift back three for the second half with McCarthy forced to play in the "Barton" role. Got to say he did remarkably well there for an attacking mid and it showed just how he's come on with the physical side to his game. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Andy is either around the first team and/or out on loan at a decent level next season.

Highlight of the game tho' was Granger's goal, shot from a ridiculous distance. Stunning. Just a shame that at 0-3 celebrations were naturally muted.

Yup! Today it looked like men against boys. Body strength meant so much. Skill, unless outrageous, cannot make up for frailty.

Having said that I thought Andy McCarthy was outstanding. He is one of these players who always seems to have that half second that less skilful players just don't. His passing was as good as it gets. I hope he makes it right to the top.

As my old dad would have said " there were some gey hairy ersed boys " playing for the Fifers!