The Totally Thrilling Strict Liability Thread

flashman

The issue of Strict Liability was one of the main topics at the Supporters Trust meeting before the Hamilton game. This is in essence a question of whether the clubs should be held responsible for the behaviour of their fans either through regulations enforced by one of the governing bodies, or by legislation put in place by the Scottish government.

The club will be putting a survey on the official site to guage fan opinion before they respond to the SPFL consultation.

Further details in the images below (hopefully). This info will also go on the official site alongside the survey link.

https://s24.postimg.org/ur2dcdeqd/Strict_liability_Page_1.jpg

https://s1.postimg.org/utj2vm4un/Strict_liability_Page_2.jpg

Edited by flashman

My concern (voiced at the Trust meeting) is that the proposals put forward by the SFA/SPFL will be so toothless that the Scottish government will push ahead and impose something that is unworkable and/or ends up punishing minor offences whilst ignoring more serious ones committed by fans of 'bigger' clubs

Why put this on smaller clubs with little to no history of this kind of behavior? This shouldn't be the default - it should be put upon clubs after they've met a certain threshold/severity level of incidents.

And there should be a provision put in place where, if fans of some team decide to have a laugh and go to another team's games, dress in that team's colors, and behave terribly in an effort to get that team penalized, then their true club gets fined double.

ETA. The doubling of the fine is to pay the offended club as a curative measure.

Edited by ChiThistle

"Under strict liability, there is no requirement to prove fault, negligence or intention." This is an extract taken from 'What is strict liability' at the bottom of page 6 top of page 7.

This was an excellent discussion during the Trust Meeting.This is a very interesting topic which ever football fan should be commenting on.

http://www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/Bills/102260.aspx - this is the page with the introduction

http://www.parliamen...ocument_pdf.pdf - this is the 28 page draft consultation put forward.

Edited by AustraliaAway

My concern (voiced at the Trust meeting) is that the proposals put forward by the SFA/SPFL will be so toothless that the Scottish government will push ahead and impose something that is unworkable and/or ends up punishing minor offences whilst ignoring more serious ones committed by fans of 'bigger' clubs

My worry as well.

If I was to suddenly stand up and start chanting FTP or FTQ I'm fairly sure I'd be ejected from the ground. Persist outside and I'd be huckled by the polis and no doubt charged with breach of the peace or the likes. A good few thousand do likewise across the city and we're told "by and large the match went off peacefully, and we'd like to thank both sets of supporters for their good behaviour"

Sadly keeping this in house will be a difficult one as we'd be asking the SFA/SPFL to oversee arrangements etc and we all know how utterly incompetent those two organisations are.

• Like 1

I can picture it already, PTFC fined for half a dozen Thistle fans starting to sing 'Hello, hello' with one of them dragged off to court...(as has actually happened previously).

Meanwhile, thousands of Celtic fans belting out the IRA party tunes, thousands of Sevco fans singing Billy Boys, informing us about Bobby Sands and booing players with 'Catholic-sounding' names...and not a thing will happen. As has forever been the case in the West of Scotland.

With a media which will currently refuse to call out the Old Firm on what they are (institutionalised intolerance), it will take many more years for anything effective to happen.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...