Just In ...

MerryHell

Suppose the most important thing is the result, but for me the ref ruined the second half.

Even the guys on Sportsound say he 'was the only person in the western hemisphere' who didn't think Liam should have had a penalty.

We played okay but we didn't seem to have much in midfield at many points - strong at the back, hoofed up front to eithe Liam or Kris. Even Erskine seemed to have been sent on the play in a defensive role.

Anyway - good to see Jackie last 90mins.

Is McCall weaaring a suit a sign that he's getting serious about this management shit?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suppose the most important thing is the result, but for me the ref ruined the second half.

Even the guys on Sportsound say he 'was the only person in the western hemisphere' who didn't think Liam should have had a penalty.

We played okay but we didn't seem to have much in midfield at many points - strong at the back, hoofed up front to eithe Liam or Kris. Even Erskine seemed to have been sent on the play in a defensive role.

Is McCall weaaring a suit a sign that he's getting serious about this management shit?

I'd guess he didn't get the penalty because of the stupid dive he took earlier on in the game. When will he learn?

Maybe he had an interview somewhere to go to? ;)

Thought we looked OK, Doolan excellent, Liam still lacking compared to the Liam of old although it was excellent set up work for the 2nd. Hodge frustrating.

McNamara strolled through that,some great passing too. Erskine really doesn't have a scooby does he? Tries gamefully but you just feel he doesn't really know what he's doing, and as for his marking. B'jesus.

Hodge was a liability. To slow, caught in possesion, and to many wayward passes, mostly backwards. Those far outweighed anything good he did.

MacNamara looked a class above anything else we had on the field.

We were well on top in first half and should have been out of sight. Ayr scored with their first venture into our box iirc. Liam should have had a panalty and in the last 5 or 6 minutes both teams should have scored twice. Ayr may feel they deserved a draw but over 90 mins we were worth the win. Erskine and Hodge not great today. McNamara had a decent game. Young boy Bannigan also did well. Great play by Liam for the 2nd goal and Doolan took both goals well. Brilliant save by Halliwell at the death. Similar result next week will do nicely

Thought we were pretty comfortable until the enforced change when Robertson went off. The whole team seemed to lose it's shape and Erskine wasn't comfortable doing the defensive duties.

Hodge is infuriating to watch. He has good movement, always makes space for himself but then takes an age to do the simple bit and pass it! He isn't helped at times by poor movement around him but if he could quicken it up I think he'd be a decent player for us.

Bannigan looked useful enough after a nervy start. Doolan took his chances brilliantly and Liam did well to set him up for the 2nd. Liam still looks a bit off the pace, he needs a goal and soon.

Jackie Mac was MOTM by a mile. Nice to see a defender know when to press and help his midfield and when to simply sit and mop up.

Halliwell was decent as well and his save at the end was top notch.

p.s When was the last time a Thistle player rocked up to Firhill in an Aston Martin!

Thought we were pretty comfortable until the enforced change when Robertson went off. The whole team seemed to lose it's shape and Erskine wasn't comfortable doing the defensive duties.

Hodge is infuriating to watch. He has good movement, always makes space for himself but then takes an age to do the simple bit and pass it! He isn't helped at times by poor movement around him but if he could quicken it up I think he'd be a decent player for us.

Bannigan looked useful enough after a nervy start. Doolan took his chances brilliantly and Liam did well to set him up for the 2nd. Liam still looks a bit off the pace, he needs a goal and soon.

Jackie Mac was MOTM by a mile. Nice to see a defender know when to press and help his midfield and when to simply sit and mop up.

p.s When was the last time a Thistle player rocked up to Firhill in an Aston Martin!

I was hoping that car wasn't his. If it is do we put it down to alottery win?

They were pants. Game should have been done and dusted long before the final whistle. Won't start praising players again until we perform against a better outfit than them, who its not surprise based on that are a struggling second division team.

They were pants. Game should have been done and dusted long before the final whistle. Won't start praising players again until we perform against a better outfit than them, who its not surprise based on that are a struggling second division team.

Oh lighten up.

Saw us win.

Couple of pints on the way home.

Now having a pizza, with a nice bottle of malt to enjoy tonight.

All in all a Saturday as it should be.

We were comfortable except a wee spell in the 2nd half. Doolan was unlucky not to be able to get on the end of a couple of chances to complete his hat-trick.

Buchanan penalty that never was was a stonewaller.

Bannigan did well as did Paton in the first half. Jaggie Mac was classy which covered quite well his lack of match fitness.

Semi-Finals. Job done.

Edited by Woodstock Jag

Oh lighten up.

Saw us win.

Couple of pints on the way home.

Now having a pizza, with a nice bottle of malt to enjoy tonight.

All in all a Saturday as it should be.

Exactly.

I took Jobby Jr to his first ever Thistle game today. Pwoud, very pwoud. He didn't even get that bored. He did say it was too noisy though. :blink:

He was Jobby (Jr) by name, jobby by nature though and I missed the Ayr goal.

Erskine is dreadful its like watching bambi on ice! He hasnt got any control over his legs and anytime that he managed to get past the right back it was through luck. He is junior level at best.

I have no idea why Hodge is even gettin a look in. He is dreadful! He cost us the first goal by his stupid pass at the edge of the area when it just needed to be cleared up the park. The sooner he gets to feck the better!

Jaggy Mac was the best player by far and shows how if he was a few years younger hed still be playing at the top level.

Halliwells save at the end is one of the best I have seen in a long long time!

A deserved win however I like many others still hold my praises until we can do it against better oposition for a few weeks on the trot!

One negative was that their front line were winning so many headers against out defenders which shouldnt be happining!

Anywho i can now enjoy my beer on a saturday night thinking of the win instead of drowning my sorrows!! :thumbsup2:

MON THE JAGS!!

A traditional cup tie, thrills and shocks. And we won. And it was nice weather. Canny complain really. After the game a mate reckoned that Paton got man of the match for belting a guy when he was on the ground, did anyone see this 'cause I missed it!? And the ref..... blimey... it's been a while since we got one of those nervous-whistling panto baddy refs. What an arse.

Nice car. Must be paying some good win bonuses :lol::lol:

Erskine is dreadful its like watching bambi on ice! He hasnt got any control over his legs and anytime that he managed to get past the right back it was through luck. He is junior level at best.

I'm a fairly big noise in the Erskine criticism department but I'd cut him a bit of slack today. There's no way imaginable that he's a wingback yet he ran up and down the park like a man possessed and did at least try to take up a defensive stance. I was more than a bit surprised that with Robbo picking up a knock we didn't go to a back four. Even more surprised that Erskine was asked to fill Boyle's role.

I'm a fairly big noise in the Erskine criticism department but I'd cut him a bit of slack today. There's no way imaginable that he's a wingback yet he ran up and down the park like a man possessed and did at least try to take up a defensive stance. I was more than a bit surprised that with Robbo picking up a knock we didn't go to a back four. Even more surprised that Erskine was asked to fill Boyle's role.

Quite.

Another example of tactical ineptitude by our manager that he (just) got away with.

Another team would have ripped us a new one.

Still we were due a bit of good fortune.

Slainte.

Football part of the entertainment industry....who would have thought it? Really enjoyed today, no real losers in the Thistle pack today, particularly enjoyed Paton showing how passionate he is by panelling that wee Ayr tube! Two lovely goals from Doolan and we should have been outtasight. Bring on the Semi...

We got the win but I still think we were poor. Lack of confidence all over the park.

Conrad at times was all over the place; he has got potential but was caught out so many times. He lost his man for the goal and Stuart Bannigan failed to stop the cross which just highlights the pitfalls of playing youngsters.

Bannigan looks a player in the making, good touch and picks his passes well. Not quite ready for a regular slot but a player with potential.

Doolan played well and took his chances, encouraging performance from him.

Second half we lost the battle in midfield, but we hung on.

today was the first time seeing jaggy mac in a jags shirt and thought he was superb, albeit against a lower league team but it doesn't look as if hes been out of action for the last few months. paton and boyle were decent along with robertson and bannigan.alot of credit due for doolan for taking his chances and getting a few goals as I and alot of folk were beginning to think he wasn't up to it.

what a save from halliwell at the end, I was expecting that ball to roll into the bottom corner but thank feck it went by as I had a 10r on us to win.

buchanan just needs a goal to get going, it would have been interesting had the penalty been given if he would have let doolan get his hat-trick. sid should have scored at the end when he was through, i was expecting him just to roll it into the corner but he tried to blast it and the keeper made a good save.

balatoni wasnt great, in the 2nd half especially he was caught out about 3 or 4 times when he went for the ball but misjudged the flick on, the sooner archie is back the better.

very happy with the result though, it could easily have been extra time with ayr having the momentum and a different outcome.