Star & Garter New Owners

ian_mac

Made what was probably my final visit to this jags institution yesterday.

Michael has had the pub since I've been old enough to drink in it and it's formed a massive part of my bond with the club over the last few years and many a friendship too.

He has decided that now is the time to pass the place on so he can spend more time with his grand kids and family. Can't blame him really, and I know the summer is always a very difficult time for the pub when Thistle aren't playing.

I believe the current owners of Munns will be taking over on the 1st of June, with Munns closing its doors.

I will probably now drink solely in the Woody before and after the games, as the Star just won't be the same without Michael and the staff. Some tremendous memories of the place over the last few years, none more so than when the players brought the league trophy in there after the Dunfermline game in 2013.

Michael has always looked after his punters and I wish him all the best.

• Like 3

It's rumoured that she plans to knock down the round bar and build a new one along the back wall.

Apparently they run a supporters bus out of Munns and will do so from The Star, but Ian already ran one for the big games from The Star.

No one from Munns came down on the day of the Aberdeen game to introduce themselves so I'm not sure if they are interested in keeping the existing custom.

As others have said, The Star was part of the match day experience. Mine certainly for close on 20 years. It was what it was you were never going to get craft beers or cocktails. But you got a warm welcome and you had "your space" in the bar.

As others mentioned regardless of the game regardless of how busy it was, as soon as you made eye contact with Michael or Ann, your pint was getting poured.

Edited by potty trained
  • Like 1

Im not a Drinker so I tend to look at a Pub a bit different from people - the staff -the Customers - the relationships

I got to know Micheal over the Years as the Star was a Jags Pub and it was part of the Matchday experience - if he was standing outside the Pub and I was cycling past I would stop and have a chat - it was no easy job keeping the place going and the fall off in customers has grown - if it wasn't for the Thistle Support he would have struggled - Micheal is a decent man

A lot of older Thistle Fans drank there and former Players also

So I would like to take the opportunity to thank one of them - Allan Dickson - a lifelong Jags Fan

I had popped to the Star Post Match to chat to some of the guys - as always I had a quick chat with Alex about the Game - he told me that Neil Duffy the Thistle Legend and a regular in the Star was very ill with throat Cancer and it was only a matter of time - he also told me that after Neil had been inducted into the Hall of Fame his Inductee trophy had been taken by the Club to be inscribed and then lost and not replaced

I contacted Robert Reid and between us we organised for Neil to be presented with a replacement Trophy at Half Time on the last day of the Season when we lifted the trophy for promotion to the Premier - a large happy Jags Crowd on a Special day

Neil was accompanied by his Daughter and was very ill and very frail - I stood beside him on the pitch when he was presented with the trophy and had the Jags Fans cheering - I could see the tears in his eyes - a last Farewell from the Thistle Fans

At his Funeral his Daughter Marie spoke of that day - he had treatment at the Hospital that morning but was determined to get to Firhill despite being gravely ill - it meant a lot to him and his Family and he was very proud of being a Hall of Fame inductee

So just to say thanks to Allan - Micheal and the staff

Walking in that day with the Players and the Trophy and ensuring a Thistle Legend had a final cheer are two of the proudest moments have had during my Service to the Club - the Star was part of both of them

Jim Alexander aka Jordanhill Jag

Edited by Jordanhill Jag
  • Like 8