Best Formation

Vinnyjag

Archie said in BT interview that his preferred formation was 4-2-3-1, which is fine,however it does give him selection headaches (which is good), in that assuming Osman hadn't been sent off on Sat, if you bring Keown back into the team who would you leave out of Saturday's team?

Best team for 4-2-3-1:

Cerny

Elliot Devine Keown booth

Bannigan Barton

Spittal erskine lawless

Doolan

Harsh on big abs but him and Barton can't play together so it was either or. Hopefully this will create healthy completion to get better performances.

If we play four at the back most of this season we need another cb as we have seen Barton can't play in a back four.

I'm assuming in you're hypothetical question you're meaning we're still playing Airdrie? And Abdul would've been a certain starter to get game time, as would Keown? If so I find it hard to imagine we need two deeper midfielders but that's the preferred system. So I'd drop Bannigan and play Barton alongside Abdul for no other reason as we're a bit short in height.

So

Cerny

Elliott

Keown

Devine

Booth

Barton

Osman

Spittal

Erskine

Lawlwss

Doolan.

I'd say whatever formation is played we'll always have selection problems (which in a way is good). It's just that the problems will be in different areas. For instance 3-5-2 allows Barton to play in the middle of a back 3 and allows Edwards-Osman-Bannigan to play in the middle. But then you have to drop 2 from Erskine, Lawless, Spittal. We might be better playing 3-4-3 with centre 2 of Barton and Bannigan (Booth and Elliot wing backs of course) and then you could play 3 out of 4 of our current attack. You'd still have to drop one though. See what I mean?

The selection problem (if problem is the right word) is that we have 7 midfielders who you could justify starting every week. Barton, Osman, Bannigan, Erskine, Spittal, Lawless and Edwards. I can't think of any formation that can accommodate all of them. We don't have the same competition for starting places up front or at the back

The selection problem (if problem is the right word) is that we have 7 midfielders who you could justify starting every week. Barton, Osman, Bannigan, Erskine, Spittal, Lawless and Edwards. I can't think of any formation that can accommodate all of them. We don't have the same competition for starting places up front or at the back

Easy. Play 3-7-0.