Whipping Boy

Jago1953

Having taught psychology to degree level, I would be seriously asking what has happened to someone who takes satisfaction in some of the more extreme levels of abuse aimed at some players. Sports psychology can explain to an extent the taunting of opposition players or officials to try and gain an advantage for the team you support, but it is more complex where people are directing sustained abuse at their own team or members of the team, denigrating their ability. This is particularly the case when delivered in person, but also on an open forum where anyone can see it. I would say Thistle fans are generally tolerant (O'Donnell, Erskine - confidence players who haven't replicated their Thistle form elsewhere; Pogba; Azeez, etc.), but there are some supporters who do occasionally pick on a scapegoat.

There is fair and (reasonably) objective criticism of performances and then there is abuse for the sake of it.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I've always thought the scapegoating that goes on here was more a case of jumping on the wagon than anything else. Sustained abuse being a different level entirely. Still believe we've a sizable minority that's only happy when they're moaning. Perhaps that says more about me than them. :)

• Like 1

I find football(ers) generally takes a different approach to sport psychology than other sports. I've played a lot of team sports in my life and only in football would I find team mates having a go at me if I made a mistake. For many this carries over to fans as well I guess.

Whilst this is purely anecdotal and about amateur sport, do I need to back it up with a qualification?

Football was a game for the working class. I still remember workers coming off their shift at Methil docks to watch East Fife on a Saturday. Still in their boiler suits, they used to holler something rotten. Shouting at the team seemed a way of getting the tiredness & stress out of their system before going home for tea.

Edited by sandy

Football was a game for the working class. I still remember workers coming off their shift at Methil docks to watch East Fife on a Saturday. Still in their boiler suits, they used to holler something rotten. Shouting at the team seemed a way of getting the tiredness & stress out of their system before going home for tea.

Nowadays it's all prawn sandwiches and sharp fashion.

Classic Transference ;) Taking the stress from one area of their lives and finding an outlet elsewhere, deserved or otherwise.

• Like 1

We should never have been in a position where we have had to rely on him as much as we have recently. He was offered to every single club in the Championship on loan and not one would take him, thats from a very reliable source- a major sponsor of the club.

Against Stranraer he was given a chance, a team two divisions below and he was awful. Likewise against a very good Hibs team. He had limited appearances last year and didn't really show anything. He was better the other night, a lot better than he has been, which surprised a lot of people. He has to keep that up, and even at that, we still need new bodies to avoid putting pressure on him.

If people want to be critical of him, then, I'd say thats their choice. I was. Much in the same way I respect he had a much better game the other night and looked like he was up for it.

• Like 1

I find football(ers) generally takes a different approach to sport psychology than other sports. I've played a lot of team sports in my life and only in football would I find team mates having a go at me if I made a mistake. For many this carries over to fans as well I guess.

Whilst this is purely anecdotal and about amateur sport, do I need to back it up with a qualification?

As someone who's played both football and rugby there's definitely far more of a "support the weakest link" mentality in rugby and the opposite in football.

• Like 1

If someone is clearly bogus, no amount of encouragement in the world is going to make him any better. By the end of Azeez's stay in Maryhill he even ended up with a song all because he, as a striker, managed to score a goal!!!!

There's a line, some people cross it, some don't. The majority of the time its born out of frustration because we want our team to win. If you accidently hit your thumb repeatedly with a hammer when putting a nail in the wall, your not going to say, jeezo, that was unlucky. You would lose the nut, same as if someone repeatedly cant make a 10 yard pass under no pressure or miss dozens of sitters which cost you the game

If someone is clearly bogus, no amount of encouragement in the world is going to make him any better. By the end of Azeez's stay in Maryhill he even ended up with a song all because he, as a striker, managed to score a goal!!!!

There's a line, some people cross it, some don't. The majority of the time its born out of frustration because we want our team to win. If you accidently hit your thumb repeatedly with a hammer when putting a nail in the wall, your not going to say, jeezo, that was unlucky. You would lose the nut, same as if someone repeatedly cant make a 10 yard pass under no pressure or miss dozens of sitters which cost you the game

Fair comment. Just remember we gave the likes of Adam Strachan near 50 games and Martin Grehan 20 plus games before cutting them loose. OK, we're in the top league now and dismissing a player is an easier decision to make but even at that judging Kevin Nisbet on such few games played requires itself a talent that few of us posters possess.

Don't think it's possible now but if you were to raid the old Jags forums (and even this one) you'd find punters decrying Doolan and Erskine plus more recently Bannigan and Elliott. I'm not for a moment saying Nisbet will become a mainstay of a Jags team. At the same time given so little game time the lad has had I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss him. Others of course may be better equipped to judge a player on a few outings.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

• Members
He was offered to every single club in the Championship on loan and not one would take him, thats from a very reliable source- a major sponsor of the club.
Shocking that Archie is being undermined by someone at the Club in this way. Never mind getting rid of Kevin, get rid of the person that divulges this kind of information!
  • Like 2