Trivial

BowenBoys

I can't mind Davie McParland scoring a hat-trick but a lot of his career was before I started going to games. Just a wild guess but at the same time using a bit of logic given the number of games Davie played. He chipped in with plenty goals tho' but playing in positions scoring 3 goals in a game would've been very unusual.

I was reading that FC Bayern have had a player in every World Cup final since 1982

1982: Breitner, Dremmler and Rummenigge for Germany

1986: Matthäus and Eder for Germany (D. Hoeneß as sub)

1990: Augenthaler and Kohler for Germany (Reuter)

1994: Jorginho for Brazil

1998: Lizarazu for France

2002: Kahn, Linke and Jeremies for Germany

2006: Sagnol for France

2010: Robben and van Bommel for the Netherlands (Braafheid)

2014: Neuer, Boateng, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Kroos and Müller for Germany (Götze)

I was wondering how many Jags, or former Jags had made it to the final tournament ?

Rough I'm certain 78 and 82

Chalmers I think retired before 74

I'm struggling to think of others

Edit: How could I miss Alan Hansen 82

Edited by Dick Dastardly

You're right. You're wrong TJR!

I like being wrong - it reminds me why building a database was a good idea!

I was reading that FC Bayern have had a player in every World Cup final since 1982

1982: Breitner, Dremmler and Rummenigge for Germany

1986: Matthäus and Eder for Germany (D. Hoeneß as sub)

1990: Augenthaler and Kohler for Germany (Reuter)

1994: Jorginho for Brazil

1998: Lizarazu for France

2002: Kahn, Linke and Jeremies for Germany

2006: Sagnol for France

2010: Robben and van Bommel for the Netherlands (Braafheid)

2014: Neuer, Boateng, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Kroos and Müller for Germany (Götze)

I was wondering how many Jags, or former Jags had made it to the final tournament ?

Rough I'm certain 78 and 82

Chalmers I think retired before 74

I'm struggling to think of others

Edit: How could I miss Alan Hansen 82

10 in total.

You've got Roughie and the Stroller, WAT has 8 to find...

I should point out that I have no data for unused squad players, and that there were 10 one-time Jags who have actually played at the World Cup finals. Of these you have now identified 6:

Alan Hansen

Alan Rough

David Harvey

Jackie McNamara

Maurice Johnston

Murdo MacLeod

Ryan McGowan?

^ DD, If you read the Wikipedia entry it actually tells you that Davie didn't travel. I researched it from original press archives many moons ago for the great unpublished book of Jaggy factoids:

Jaggy trivia # 1313

Davie Mathers was surely the top candidate for the tag “unluckiest Thistle player of the 1950s”. To compound the misery of Army directives depriving him of two Cup Final appearances in 1953 and 1956, he was selected for the World Cup squad of 1954 but was asked to sit at home on standby rather than actually travel with the party. Most nations took their full allocation of 22 players to the Finals in Switzerland but the SFA decided that this would too expensive. Manager Andy Beattie, who would soon resign citing SFA incompetence, was told that his 22 man squad would have to be cut down to just 13. In mid April, our Davie survived the first culling, as the numbers were reduced on paper to 18, but he missed out when the final 13 was announced in May. Speaking in regards to this demoralising squad selection process, Tommy Docherty later recalled, “The plane was full of committee-men and their wives. It was the same for the 1958 World Cup. The heavy mob in charge looked after themselves. The players didn’t matter.”

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel