Sign in to follow this  
The Thistle Archive

The Thistle Archive

42 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Was Auld Jag's headgear not one of those black flat caps with the thin red & yellow stripes?

I'm sure he'll let us know!

Hi EKJ, hope you and yours are well. I speak to @partickthedog before most home games, so he does have a 'head' start on you. He is correct and my head gear during the winter months is a balaclava. :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Hi EKJ, hope you and yours are well. I speak to @partickthedog before most home games, so he does have a 'head' start on you. He is correct and my head gear during the winter months is a balaclava. :ph34r:

Thanks  AJ.  I also trust that you and your good wife are well! We're all fine here, even with the local universities returning.  For now!

PTD obviously has a clear advantage over me on this one. Think I'll have to concede! I hope your balaclava gets a run out later this year, but maybe thats not for this thread!!  

1 minute ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Thanks  AJ.  I also trust that you and your good wife are well! We're all fine here, even with the local universities returning.  For now!

PTD obviously has a clear advantage over me on this one. Think I'll have to concede! I hope your balaclava gets a run out later this year, but maybe thats not for this thread!!  

Thanks EKJ, we are well. Agree, i hope i can get wearing my balaclava at Firhill before the winter is out.:fan:

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Thanks EKJ, we are well. Agree, i hope i can get wearing my balaclava at Firhill before the winter is out.:fan:

Amen to that. Firhill in winter is not Firhill without your balaclava.

EKJ, must be quite a trek for you to get to Firhill. Hope you can make it later in the season. We could rendezvous at the balaclava. Just enter by the John Lambie Stand turnstiles and keep walking along the front of the stand past the first vomitory and you cannot miss it! 

46 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Amen to that. Firhill in winter is not Firhill without your balaclava.

EKJ, must be quite a trek for you to get to Firhill. Hope you can make it later in the season. We could rendezvous at the balaclava. Just enter by the John Lambie Stand turnstiles and keep walking along the front of the stand past the first vomitory and you cannot miss it! 

Always a pleasure to meet up and have a chat with you @partickthedog pre match. Over the past few years i have also spoke to a number of other forum posters, would be good to add @East Kent Jag II to the list when he manages to Firhill.

3 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Always a pleasure to meet up and have a chat with you @partickthedog pre match. Over the past few years i have also spoke to a number of other forum posters, would be good to add @East Kent Jag II to the list when he manages to Firhill.

As PTD correctly says, I don't get to Firhill too often .  Next time I'm attending a game I'd be very happy to meet you all.  I'd like to do that this year, but suspect sometime in 2021 is more likely.

Hopefully we will have had lots of League 1 victories by then:thumbsup:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Was Auld Jag's headgear not one of those black flat caps with the thin red & yellow stripes?

I'm sure he'll let us know!

Those were great! 

Anybody still got one?

9 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Those were great! 

Anybody still got one?

I have never had a flat cap of any sort,despite the rumour @East Kent Jag II started :D. But i do have the 1971 league cup winners scarf. I haven't wore this for a number of years, but when we get back to Firhill i  will give it an airing.

17 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I have never had a flat cap of any sort,despite the rumour @East Kent Jag II started :D. But i do have the 1971 league cup winners scarf. I haven't wore this for a number of years, but when we get back to Firhill i  will give it an airing.

The advantage of a balaclava at Firhill over the past three seasons is that you can wear it back to front.

You would need to wrap your scarf round your eyes with one of those Thistle flat caps on :whistling:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

The advantage of a balaclava at Firhill over the past three seasons is that you can wear it back to front.

You would need to wrap your scarf round your eyes with one of those Thistle flat caps on :whistling:

Or just take my glasses off.:cool2:

Had a look at the Archive today.  One of the games listed is from 28 Sep 1889.  A friendly against Albion Rovers.  It starts "Because both clubs were "overthrown" in the Scottish Cup....."

I took it that overthrown meant beaten. So I went to the "Matches" section, and looked up the fixtures for September 1889.  Yes there it was. On 7 Sept 1889   3rd L.R.V. 3 Thistle 2 at Cathkin Park. In the match info, wonderful photos of most of the players.

I took it that "3rd L.R.V."   was what I know to be Third Lanark.  So a Google search confirmed that "Third Lanark A.C." was an offshoot of the "3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers",  and 3rd L.R.V. was a founder member club of the SFA.

I didn't know the origin of Third Lanark, and its a shame that a club with such an illustrious origin and history had to fold.  I  think there is still a Third Lanark club in amateur football.

A lovely journey in the "Thistle Archive" all because of the term "overthrown".  Its not that I don't have other things to do, but I'm glad that I made this journey into history.

Edited by East Kent Jag II
"Think", not "know".

6 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Had a look at the Archive today.  One of the games listed is from 28 Sep 1889.  A friendly against Albion Rovers.  It starts "Because both clubs were "overthrown" in the Scottish Cup....."

I took it that overthrown meant beaten. So I went to the "Matches" section, and looked up the fixtures for September 1889.  Yes there it was. On 7 Sept 1889   3rd L.R.V. 3 Thistle 2 at Cathkin Park. In the match info, wonderful photos of most of the players.

I took it that "3rd L.R.V."   was what I know to be Third Lanark.  So a Google search confirmed that "Third Lanark A.C." was an offshoot of the "3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers",  and 3rd L.R.V. was a founder member club of the SFA.

I didn't know the origin of Third Lanark, and its a shame that a club with such an illustrious origin and history had to fold.  I  think there is still a Third Lanark club in amateur football.

A lovely journey in the "Thistle Archive" all because of the term "overthrown".  Its not that I don't have other things to do, but I'm glad that I made this journey into history.

There was a documentary on Alba a few months back. I posted about it as i didn't know if @Third Lanark knew about it. Turned out him and his dad was in it as his grandfather played for Thirds.

• Like 1