Arabs v Jags Friday Night

Albert's Ghost

I think questions need to be asked of the manager last night. Its not great losing games but thats twice we've been well beaten by the same team managed by the managerial genius of Jim Goodwin. Last nights performance was to my mind worse than the 5-0 at Firhill only difference was United didn't take their chances.

Much was made when Doolan came in last season of having a game plan. I would have loved to know what last nights was because we appeared to have none. Its a long drive back and forward to Dundee on a freezing night to watch a team who didn't really look all that up for it and who were lucky after 30 minutes not be 4 or 5 behind.

I thought it was mistake to change the midfield for away game to United. I've been a critic of Bannigan but I did think he was decent after a horror first 25 minutes. Still would rather we didn't start him as he will revert to type.

I've seen Fitzpatrick play against Grimshaw a few times and even when Grimshaw was at Morton Fitzpatrick got no joy from him. Grimshaw is a physical player and he's no slouch so Fitzptatrick never got the time and space he gets from other fullbacks who fear getting outpaced. So why not switch Fitzaptrick and Lawless around? 

Doolan seems determined to play 4-2-3-1 and possession football even though we don't have a midfield 2 strong enough to support it and a centrehalf playing on his wrong side who can't play quick enough passes out to the leftback/leftwinger. When Doolan first came in last year he stopped both fullbacks gooing forward and the same time and it made us harder to score against, not sure why with a weaker midfield he is being so cavalier.

It was also fairly obvious that the United central defenders were their weak points particularly with no Docherty to protect them but we took until well into the second half before we went with 2 forwards. 

All in all it was entirely the type of performance, result, tactical errors and rigidity in team selection that would have got McCall, Archibald and every other manager a hard time.

22 minutes ago, laukat said:

All in all it was entirely the type of performance, result, tactical errors and rigidity in team selection that would have got McCall, Archibald and every other manager a hard time.

Absolutely correct…..we all know our midfield isn’t right, our defence can’t keep clean sheets and we have six players the manager doesn’t want to play ….nit good 

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Fitzpatrick was not on his way out under McCall.  McCall planned to extend Fitzpatricks, Lawless, Dochertys, Holts, Turner and Tiffoneys contracts before being told there was no money left due to the massive overspend.

Amazing how Fitzpatrick appears to be the main blame for defeats.  Yes he was poor last night but him and Lawless were still our most dangerous players.  I wasn’t impressed by any of our players last night barring Lawless

Also does anyone really think Fitzpatrick went out to deliberately put in a poor performance on his 100th appearance when he was talking about before the game how proud he was to have reached 100 appearances 

As for the rank rotten last year comment- complete over reaction.  Do you think so many fans would have been delighted at him signing a new deal with us if he was?  He had decent games and some poor ones.  If it wasn’t for his goals against Arbroath that got us to a decent payday against Aberdeen in the cup and in particular his goal against Dunfermline in the Scottish cup which got us literally a club saving payday against Rangers then I hate to see how much more of a financial mess we would have been in

TL, it looks like you completely misread the intention of my post.

Nowhere was it implied that Aidan is 'the main blame for defeats' (your words).

Did he underperform under McCall? - yes, as his performances since the play-offs have manifestly demonstrated.

Has he improved under Kris Doolan? - yes, and in spades.

Did he score important goals in cup ties last season? - yes, to his great credit.

Was he a liability defensively last season? - yes, on numerous occasions (see the Ayr league games for evidence).

Did he put in a 'poor performance' (again, your words) on his 100th appearance? - Not in my opinion, although he should have at least forced a save from the opportunity that he created for himself at the end of the first half.

Is he currently an asset to the team? - without any question.

I will adjust my 'rank rotten' assessment last season to 'underperformed relative to his ability'. Would that seem fairer to you based on the evidence?

Edited by Barney Rubble

21 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Did he underperform under McCall? - yes, as his performances since the play-offs have manifestly demonstrated.

Did he score important goals in cup ties last season? - yes, to his great credit.

Was he a liability defensively last season? - yes, on numerous occasions (see the Ayr league games for evidence).

Did he put in a 'poor performance' (again, your words) on his 100th appearance? - Not in my opinion, although he should have at least forced a save from the opportunity that he created for himself at the end of the first half.

I will adjust my 'rank rotten' assessment last season to 'underperformed relative to his ability'. Would that seem fairer to you based on the evidence?

Aidan was poor last night …..invisible for most of the first half as was mentioned several times……and his tracking back and defensive work can certainly be improved as his all round work rate is not consistent with the requirements at the highest levels which is probably why he is with us.

29 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Fair enough BR

Defensively he is very weak although that’s not his main position and those whose main responsibility it is to defend have on a number of games proven to be weak as well 

Edited by Third Lanark
  • Like 1

Most of the post-United updates now in place... experimental new match hub (slight) re-design →

:detective:  A DOUBLE MILESTONE

● 22-year-old Aidan Fitzpatrick becomes the 200th Partick Thistle player to hit the 100 competitive appearances mark. He's the youngest to do so since 21-year-old James Penrice hit the mark in November, 2020.
● Kevin Holt and Tony Watt of Dundee United make it back-to-back hat-tricks for Dundee United versus Partick Thistle. In competitive action, such an occurrence has only been seen twice against Thistle in the last 50 years; in the springtime of 1982 Davie Dodds scored back to back hat-tricks for Dundee United and early in 1974 Donald Ford and Drew Busby did likewise for Hearts. Historically, there's now been ten streaks of two in total, and two streaks of three (Rangers 1898-1899 and Celtic 1898-99).
● Dundee United's last 3 hat-tricks have all been registered against Partick Thistle (Watt 2023, Holt 2023 & Shankland 2020). Bizzarely, this applies to 5 out of their last 8, a run which started back in 2013.
● Partick Thistle have never registered a 2nd tier win at Tannadice, now with 5 attempts since 2018.
● At the halfway point in the league, Thistle have conceded 30 goals in 18 games (relegation form) yet remain clear in 3rd place. This is due to the extra-ordinary number of high scoring games, with the combined ratio totalling 3.556 goals-per-game. You need to rewind back to 1900-01 (3.682 gpg) to see such a high total in a second tier season.

ongoing sequences:
● 44 consecutive competitive appearances for Steven Lawless, 18th Feb 2023 to date. (Longest run since: Jack McMillan - 52 games, 9th Jul 2022 to 4th Jun 2023. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)