Thistle v Arbroath 6.1.24

elevenone

15 hours ago, javeajag said:

And it still is …..

As is every team in league bar Dundee United. Every club bar them are losing a goal or more per game average this season, United a goal per 2 games.

Raith have conceded 6 less than us, but also scored 4 less than us.

Are defences worse this season or attacks better? 

Only 3 teams have a positive goal difference 

IMG_4900.png

Edited by Norgethistle

19 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

As is every team in league bar Dundee United. Every club bar them are losing a goal or more per game average this season, United a goal per 2 games.

IMG_4900.png

Javeajag won't be happy until we have a goal difference of +100 with no goals conceded. I'm enjoying watching thistle score plenty of goals under Doolan. Be interested to see the total stats under Doolan ( including play off results ). It's impressive I'm sure. 

28 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Javeajag won't be happy until we have a goal difference of +100 with no goals conceded. I'm enjoying watching thistle score plenty of goals under Doolan. Be interested to see the total stats under Doolan ( including play off results ). It's impressive I'm sure. 

All competitions since his appointment in Feb 2023:

P46 W25 D11 L10 

Points per game: 1.87 (caveat: one Scottish cup game and one Challenge cup game are included in those stats).

54.3% win rate

78.2% positive result rate (assuming a draw is accepted as a positive result).

21.8% loss rate.

That's the statistical evidence.

Draw your own conclusions.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

P46 W25 D11 L10 

Points per game: 1.87 (caveat: one Scottish cup game and one Challenge cup game are included in those stats).

54.3% win rate

21.8% loss rate.

Think everyone should be able to see what Doolan is trying to build at our Club , with Stanway , Lyon ,McKenzie, Diack and now Macbeth coming through and giving them a pathway to first team 

Guys like Milne , Fitzy , Lawless and BG have been signed up on longer contracts which means we don’t have to rebuild every season as we have done for lots of years  but hopefully add a few players here and there to enhance the squad .

Building a Club takes time but as the stats show Dools has done a magnificent job so far .

16 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

IMG_4900.png

You mean the team most likely to win the league will have the best defensive record …..that’s novel 

16 hours ago, dl1971 said:

It’s not complicated score lots of goals and don’t concede many that’s the route to football success look at Man City or Liverpool……our defensive capabilities will most likely cost us promotion 

15 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

P46 W25 D11 L10 

54.3% win rate

21.8% loss rate.

The statistical evidence that matters is getting promoted. If we keep those stats and are in the championship next year then it’s failure ( cue posts of people telling us why nit getting promoted is actually a great outcome )

14 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The statistical evidence that matters is getting promoted. If we keep those stats and are in the championship next year then it’s failure ( cue posts of people telling us why nit getting promoted is actually a great outcome )

But if we punt our manager every time we fail to get promoted, we'd be a mess.

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what your point is. You said you didn't think McCall should have been punted when he was (i.e., when he was clearly again failing to win promotion while being heavily backed), and you've also said you don't think Doolan should be punted (even though he has been a failure so far by your own single metric). It seems that you view these managers as failures but think we should have stuck/stick with them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Not really sure where you are coming from ? 
This was always going to be a season in transition because the playing budget was slashed because of the overspend from the previous incumbents ( MCCall included )

Probably lost our 4 best players into the bargain and at this moment I’m not sure the quality of these players has been replaced with the Wages on offer .

At this moment I don’t think we’re ready for the step up yet but the signs are that we are making good progression 

34 minutes ago, javeajag said:

That shouldn’t be the defining stat at our level.

The supporters can see the progress , young players coming through the system and getting minutes in the first team which should be the template for the future.

Did you really want to continue as per last season in the hunger or bust business model that Jaqui Lowe , McCall etc advocated

They nearly put us out of business again 

Maybe time for a reality check Javeajag 

57 minutes ago, javeajag said:

We can still get promoted. As you say it doesn't matter how. Automatic or play offs. You seem reluctant to give Doolan ( or the team )  any praise no matter what. That is of course up to you but your reasoning seems to have little....reason. I hope we do get promoted by whatever means, but if we don't it's not the end of the world. I don't think anyone has said not being promoted is a great outcome ( bar your own post ). Anyway onwards to Greenock. I'm predicting 4 3 to us...

41 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

But if we punt our manager every time we fail to get promoted, we'd be a mess.

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what your point is. You said you didn't think McCall should have been punted when he was (i.e., when he was clearly again failing to win promotion while being heavily backed), and you've also said you don't think Doolan should be punted (even though he has been a failure so far by your own single metric). It seems that you view these managers as failures but think we should have stuck/stick with them.

We will never know if McCall would have gotten promotion last season…. We know Doolan didn’t. We will see what he achieves this season then we can judge him, at the end of the season. 

34 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not really sure where you are coming from ? 
This was always going to be a season in transition because the playing budget was slashed because of the overspend from the previous incumbents ( MCCall included )

Probably lost our 4 best players into the bargain and at this moment I’m not sure the quality of these players has been replaced with the Wages on offer .

At this moment I don’t think we’re ready for the step up yet but the signs are that we are making good progression 

It’s quite simple I don’t accept it was always going to be a transition season ( it was going to be a transitional season for Liverpool this season oh look ) 

nor do I accept the four player excuse either.

it will be really funny if we do get promotion and listen to how though it happened it shouldn’t have ….

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

It’s not complicated score lots of goals and don’t concede many that’s the route to football success look at Man City or Liverpool……our defensive capabilities will most likely cost us promotion 

Aye. Let's compare us to probably the best two teams in Europe. I think their defenders may be outwith our budget. 

29 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

That shouldn’t be the defining stat at our level.

The supporters can see the progress , young players coming through the system and getting minutes in the first team which should be the template for the future.

Did you really want to continue as per last season in the hunger or bust business model that Jaqui Lowe , McCall etc advocated

They nearly put us out of business again 

Maybe time for a reality check Javeajag 

Our level is in the premier league .

3 minutes ago, javeajag said:

It’s quite simple I don’t accept it was always going to be a transition season ( it was going to be a transitional season for Liverpool this season oh look ) 

it will be really funny if we do get promotion and listen to how though it happened it shouldn’t have ….

The only difference is Liverpool spent 200 million to rebuild their team

Absolutely no difference!

5 minutes ago, javeajag said:

We will never know if McCall would have gotten promotion last season…. We know Doolan didn’t. We will see what he achieves this season then we can judge him, at the end of the season. 

You can say that about any sacked manager. For example Wayne Rooney or Steve Cooper may be muttering I would have won the league if.....

6 minutes ago, javeajag said:

So your position is you still expect us to get promoted? Just to pin you down, is promotion via the play offs a success? For future reference later in the season. 

6 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Our level is in the premier league .

Where does that come from ?

Apart from possibly Livingston, every other team in the SPFL has got a better infrastructure than us and that’s what we’re trying to aspire to .

7 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

The only difference is Liverpool spent 200 million to rebuild their team

Absolutely no difference!

Dear oh dear …. It’s the principle they changed their whole midfield , we lost four players …. It’s the same argument . 

4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Where does that come from ?

Apart from possibly Livingston, every other team in the SPFL has got a better infrastructure than us and that’s what we’re trying to aspire to .

Therein lies the issue I think we should be in the premier league, you don’t.

6 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

So your position is you still expect us to get promoted? Just to pin you down, is promotion via the play offs a success? For future reference later in the season. 

No reason why we can’t as much as you would hate us to ,

10 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

You can say that about any sacked manager. For example Wayne Rooney or Steve Cooper may be muttering I would have won the league if.....

It’s a simple fact. We sacked McCall and didn’t get promoted. Which was presumably the point of sacking him.

5 minutes ago, javeajag said:

It’s a simple fact. We sacked McCall and didn’t get promoted. Which was presumably the point of sacking him.

No. We sacked McCall because we lost successive home games to the 2 worst sides in the league.  I was at both games - I was raging.

Dools just emerged from the equivalent 2 games with maximum points.  Gie us peace.