Southside Happenings

mrD

So this weekend those of us unfortunate to live in proximity to hampden will have to suffer of what the following is a small sample. Our closes turned into toilets, our wives and daughters sexually harrassed amongst other rowdy behaviour explained away in good jest by people who claim themselves "to be the best behaved supporters in the world" and are "just having a laugh". Behaviour so cringeworthy that can only be likened to a fusion of the worst excesses of a stag do and what youd expect from the rugby boys of the GUU. The Bollinger club does not get a look in in comparison.

But lets not focus on the vices, there are some virtues. The most notable has to be patriotism (of a civic not ethnic form aye right) where songs of rebellion are sang articulating the need for scotland to overcome the yoke of slavery imposed by the sassanachs. Very romantic. This is whilst attired with symbols of scottish regiments set up with the express purpose of quelling scottish rebellions and have a history of being amongst the most violent in quelling rebellions of their celtic cousins. National idenitiy is celebrated in a positive manner by the same people that seem to have strong objections to James McCarthy and Aiden McGeady celebrating theirs. The traitors.

So all in all its going to be an exciting weekend. Should be an exciting game. My words to any of the revellers coming to my part of the town should they listen shall be "forza espania and yes to team GB"

Edited by mrD

haha silly me. wrong day. so its tuesday the 12th that ive got to look forward to this. who are scotland playing on friday then?

Why do you want to know?

U obviously dont give a sh!t :unknw:

To me your complaints mean nothing as (correct me if im wrong) Hampden has been there longer than you have been in your house. You knew where u were moving to - so no sympathy here :thumbsup2:

National idenitiy is celebrated in a positive manner by the same people that seem to have strong objections to James McCarthy and Aiden McGeady celebrating theirs. The traitors.

Surly it's not celebrating their (Scottish) national identity but choosing to represents their grandparents (Irish identity), that sticks in peoples throat. I always thought both players had been born in Scotland (as had their parents).

So all in all its going to be an exciting weekend. Should be an exciting game. My words to any of the revellers coming to my part of the town should they listen shall be "forza espania and yes to team GB"

And that would adequately deal with all your psychological issues, would it?

If so, then there are clearly others that you haven't made explicit.

Edited by Jaggernaut

To me your complaints mean nothing as (correct me if im wrong) Hampden has been there longer than you have been in your house. You knew where u were moving to - so no sympathy here :thumbsup2:

So its alright for people to piss in closes, because the folks who live there should expect it? :thumbdown:

I don't hold much truck with the rest of what he says---regarding national identity and so on---but there are some aspects of the behaviour of Scotland fans that *should* be addressed...

[quote name='mrD' date='05 October 2010 - 12:37 PM' National idenitiy is celebrated in a positive manner by the same people that seem to have strong objections to James McCarthy and Aiden McGeady celebrating theirs. The traitors.

As far as I'm aware Trade-in McGreedy's parents were also born in Scotland. So for me that makes him a numpty wee nyaff that can feck off over there any time he pleases.

Nationalism is always a difficult argument for me as I've lived in Engurlund for quite a few years now and so I might sound hypocritical when I express my burning passion for Scotland. But, ach I don't care. I'm seen by my good English friends as a diehard Scotland hothead and they accept me, rants'n'all, for what I am.

Mon Scotland and down with anything that compromises our proud national identity such as Team feckin GB.

[quote name=mrD' date='05 October 2010 - 12:37 PM' timestamp='1286282247' post='23438'

The traitors.

there is a school of thought that holds that their choice was influenced by the sfa doing sfa. seems they're culpable once again with stuart holden at bolton wanderers.

Edited by John Blutarsky

So this weekend those of us unfortunate to live in proximity to hampden will have to suffer of what the following is a small sample. Our closes turned into toilets, our wives and daughters sexually harrassed amongst other rowdy behaviour explained away in good jest by people who claim themselves "to be the best behaved supporters in the world" and are "just having a laugh". Behaviour so cringeworthy that can only be likened to a fusion of the worst excesses of a stag do and what youd expect from the rugby boys of the GUU. The Bollinger club does not get a look in in comparison.

But lets not focus on the vices, there are some virtues. The most notable has to be patriotism (of a civic not ethnic form aye right) where songs of rebellion are sang articulating the need for scotland to overcome the yoke of slavery imposed by the sassanachs. Very romantic. This is whilst attired with symbols of scottish regiments set up with the express purpose of quelling scottish rebellions and have a history of being amongst the most violent in quelling rebellions of their celtic cousins. National idenitiy is celebrated in a positive manner by the same people that seem to have strong objections to James McCarthy and Aiden McGeady celebrating theirs. The traitors.

This guy is clearly not a Thistle fan. He's just your typical tim. Paranoid, ignorant, ill-informed and he has a massive chip on his shoulder. Recently, he claimed Celtic were the club of choice for the "forward thinking fan". An utterly laughable statement to make. He also hi-jacked the thread about the boys brigade to suggest that they were a bigoted organisation that didn't welcome catholics. That was an incredibly stupid and dangerous thing to say.

So please mr D, take your inane drivel to the Kerrydale Street forum and discuss your warped views there with your fellow soapdodgers.

I go on Thistle forums to get away from the usual Old Firm crap, not to get more of it rammed down my throat.

FTOF.

I am a member of the SSC, go to away games when I can get an official ticket. Hate all phrases such as "Tartan Army", "footsoldiers" and in particular abhor "on manouvers" (sp.).

A lot of people seem to think that because they're in a foreign country that all concepts of common courtesy, decency, politeness seem to fly out the window and just because you're wearing a kilt and a Glengarry that anything you do is said TA "banter".

I will be at Hampden on Tuesday, and Mr. D, I won't be p!ssing in your or anyone elses close.

As a commuter on the rail lines which are invaded whenever Hampden is used for whatever purpose I must admit that each "event" has its drawbacks - and given that being on an overcrowded train with people you would otherwise cross an ocean to avoid tends to result in my making alternative arrangements.

For what it is worth "music" fans tend to immitate the band/person involved:

Rod Stewart fans were of a certain age and of a "good-time" persuasion;

U2 fans were a bit up themselves but then again so is Bono so perhaps it was a tribute;

Oasis fans were pretendy neds acting like the Gallachers - again perhaps as a tribute;

as far as football is concerned I once witnessed behaviour by a group of an "old firm" team's fans which was a joy to behold. They lived down to the lowest of low expectations that one could ever expect from such sub-humans, complete with religious overtones and all the excess baggage that dangles like excrement from these half-wits. However Scotland supporters also perplex me - there is a "world owes me a living/admiration" air about their presence in many cases and the dressing up is cringe-worthy........................the Scotland top (of varied vintage) stretched to breaking point over a massive beer gut and the kilt and sporran dangling like a curtain from this massive overhang, the "hose" carefully worn to emphasise a bandy gait................but worst of all is the Glengarry with the wee feather sprouting from it - true pantomime - like Harry Lauder on jellies.

I will be avoiding rail services next Tuesday night as I fear that witnessing the invasion of such parodies of Scottishness might make me wish for a result which will put their light at a peep.

Think Scotland could get two draws though.

However Scotland supporters also perplex me - there is a "world owes me a living/admiration" air about their presence in many cases and the dressing up is cringe-worthy........................the Scotland top (of varied vintage) stretched to breaking point over a massive beer gut and the kilt and sporran dangling like a curtain from this massive overhang, the "hose" carefully worn to emphasise a bandy gait................but worst of all is the Glengarry with the wee feather sprouting from it - true pantomime - like Harry Lauder on jellies.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Camp as a row of pink tents. I don't think people who dress like that to games are the full shilling and they sure as hell aren't wearing any national dress. Maybe they think every day is hogmanay.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Camp as a row of pink tents. I don't think people who dress like that to games are the full shilling and they sure as hell aren't wearing any national dress. Maybe they think every day is hogmanay.

..and they probably like Runrig.

1. The majority of Scotland supporters are decent human beings.

2. A large minority of the "Tartan Army" are total fcukballs.

3. Aiden McGeady is actually a very nice young man, there are far worse footballers who have committed far greater sins. Yes, I like Aiden McGeady. And I don't mind the boy McCarthy either. Good luck to them.

4. Is it really worth getting this stressed about?