Buchanan

Jagman1876

hopefully just what he needs to get his confidence up

and maybe a couple of reserve games will help him up his fitness and workrate too

I've never really questioned Liam's workrate, I just feel his fitness/loss of pace curtails it's effectiveness.

Maybe McCall will start Buchanan ahead of Doolan on Saturday. Might be worthwhile to link up Hardie & Liam upfront. BMMMH could bring out the best in Buchanan. There's always the risk tho' of playing two guys that are not fully fit. :unsure:

I've never really questioned Liam's workrate, I just feel his fitness/loss of pace curtails it's effectiveness.

Maybe McCall will start Buchanan ahead of Doolan on Saturday. Might be worthwhile to link up Hardie & Liam upfront. BMMMH could bring out the best in Buchanan. There's always the risk tho' of playing two guys that are not fully fit. :unsure:

Id be loathed to drop Doolan for Liam, Dools did the work of 2-3 guys on sat, Liam , maybe as u say due to lack of fitness, struggles to cover his own yards

spose how it depends how we set up, if we are going for it then maybe the guy banging them in for reserves does then become an option

It would be interesting to see how a Buchanan/BMMMH partnership might develop, but unless we retain the services of the big man for a bit longer then I think we're forced to go with the best partnership presently available, which is Hardie and Doolan.

Just as an aside, is it a coincidence that the men we farmed out on loan last term - Doolan, Boyle and Kinniburgh - are starting to come good?

It would be interesting to see how a Buchanan/BMMMH partnership might develop,

I'd like to see a Buchanan & Hardie partnership tried out. I doubt the big man has 90 mins in him yet so it would mean either starting Liam or subbing Doolan early. Appreciate Doolan's contribution but that's a few games gone now since he last scored so I wouldn't be surprised if he makes way for Buchanan on Saturday.

Yes, he has- he's been poor since he stopped scoring. Time to get Liam back in.

Poor in what sense? because he isn't scoring goals? even though out of all our strikers he looks the most dangerous and able to score?

He shouldn't even be taking Doolan off for Buchanan. Buchanan has done nothing of note for months. His miss in extra time up in Dingwall sums him up now.

Buchanan deserves to be out of that first team. I will be extremely pissed off if McCall drops Doolan for Buchanan.

Poor in what sense? because he isn't scoring goals? even though out of all our strikers he looks the most dangerous and able to score?

He shouldn't even be taking Doolan off for Buchanan. Buchanan has done nothing of note for months. His miss in extra time up in Dingwall sums him up now.

Buchanan deserves to be out of that first team. I will be extremely pissed off if McCall drops Doolan for Buchanan.

But it's McCall, so he will.

He's not scored for six games; gives the ball away too often; has no physical presence; he's too one footed- which is never good for a striker; and creates very little. I think at the very most he has one more start in him.

Perhaps a solution is to play Doolan and Buchanan together and play Hardie in midfield? Who to drop though. I think maybe Cairney who although he works hard still doesn't look like the player we saw in the first half of last season.

Was thinking that as well, why the hell not?

Perhaps a solution is to play Doolan and Buchanan together and play Hardie in midfield?

Saturday really hammered home how badly we require a good hold-up player. Hardie to start up top again, for me.

I think the biggest choice will come between Rowson and McNamara. I haven't been impressed with the latter, but he seemed to have his best game of this season on Saturday. I'd actually have advocated dropping Flannigan if his set-piece delivery wasn't so good.

He's not scored for six games; gives the ball away too often; has no physical presence; he's too one footed- which is never good for a striker; and creates very little. I think at the very most he has one more start in him.

All of that can be applied to Buchanan as well.

Our team don't tend to create a lot of clear cut chances for our strikers. You only have to look at the goals we have scored this season to see that. If or when these clear cut chances are provided to the strikers I'd rather have Doolan ahead of Buchanan every time.

Our team don't tend to create a lot of clear cut chances for our strikers. You only have to look at the goals we have scored this season to see that. If or when these clear cut chances are provided to the strikers I'd rather have Doolan ahead of Buchanan every time.

:happy2: ^^^this^^^ :happy2:

.....although.... :thinking:

Perhaps a solution is to play Doolan and Buchanan together and play Hardie in midfield? Who to drop though. I think maybe Cairney who although he works hard still doesn't look like the player we saw in the first half of last season.

I'd stick with having Doolan and Hardie playing up front predominately for next 4 games, with maybe accomodating Bucky in midfield on other side from Flannigan (as Cairney and others often offer the square root of feck all), and letting Bucky press further up when play allows it, as he is a terrier and can trouble defences running at them, either in channels or cutting in, it's often just his finishing which lets him down.

:unsure: Perhaps by Bucky taking a step back position-wise, he can become a better player for us? :unknw:

All of that can be applied to Buchanan as well.

No it can't. Buchanan, although small in height, has good upper body strengh. He is also better on his weaker foot then Doolan. On form, he can hold the ball up and go past players. He can also create goals for others. The ball for Doolan to score against Ayr earlier in the season a case in point. He's actually a very good crosser of the ball as he has shown in his spells playing wide in a front three.

Edited by Lord Rosebury

Buchanan needs to start 1 of the next 2 games, if you are off form the only way to find is by playing...Hardie won't be here forever and by the time he returns to St Johnstone we need Doolan and Buchanan back on form. For what it's worth I think Buchanan is a far superior player to Doolan (although I like Doolan a lot) but he needs to get back to the form we ALL know he is capable of, maybe a 4 goal haul is the spark he's been needing...regardless of the opposition.

No it can't. Buchanan, although small in height, has good upper body strengh. He is also better on his weaker foot then Doolan. On form, he can hold the ball up and go past players. He can also create goals for others. The ball for Doolan to score against Ayr earlier in the season a case in point. He's actually a very good crosser of the ball as he has shown in his spells playing wide in a front three.

Id like to see Hardie with Donnelly and Doolan. Thats a combination of everything we need. Buchanan is done as a striker in this league for me.

He does have a good delivery from the wide areas it`s just in front of goal he seems to sclaf the ball unfortunately

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Buchannan.

I reckon most of his problems are in his head and once he gets his confidence back, he will get us goals.

He's not the player he was when he first arrived due to him losing a yard of pace that he had prior to his last injury. For that reason, I don't see him being an SPL striker unless he can get it back.