Jags Trust Announcment

jags365

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's the Trust Board down to four members which means that it is now limited in what is can do. It only has the power now to replace resigned members (until the next Annual General Meeting) or hold a general meeting of all members.

Could one of the people "in the know" please tell us plebs what the blazes is going on?

Just out of interest, can each of the guys who resigned tell us whether they have been, or expect to be, offered a seat on the Board of Partick Thistle in the forseeable future?

I wonder what they're putting in your tea, Dunfy Jag?!

There really is nothing more to this than meets the eye. Everyone on the Trust Board stood forward because they wanted to do their bit to help the football club.

A few of us have been frustrated with just how difficult it is to channel that support through the Trust vehicle and Tom and I decided to stand down and look for something more productive to do. We volunteered our time to help with the 50/50 as a simple and measurable way to help the club, and the BoD agreed. Nothing more or less than that, I'm afraid.

As it is now on the Trust's website I can let you know that I have resigned from the Trust Board with immediate effect.

I would like to apologise to those people who feel that I am letting them down by not seeing out my term, it was a very difficult decision but it is one that I feel is right.

Quite simply I do not have what it takes to get the Trust to the level that the fans want (and deserve). To use a footballing analogy, the Trust needs its big name players to get on the ball and dictate play. Unfortunately what I can offer is only the role of a journeyman professional - reliable, safe no risk passes but ultimately not a matchwinner.

I hope that my stepping down will allow someone who has more, for want of a better word, charisma to get involved and that they can enthuse and unite people behind them.

Martin Towers

Martin, I really hope that whatever happens next you remain somehow involved.

The thing that was most ironic about the bitter post on P&B is that it was critical of the online presence of the Trust Board that have stepped down. However I think most of us have felt like we have got to know our Board a little better through the forum and appreciate the two way communication. The only person we have any communication left with is Jags365 and I appreciate the difficult position he is in now. I wish that some of the other Board members felt able to discuss things online, but as they appear to be silent as always then I am left as frustrated with them as everyone else.

I think we are going to struggle to find a person to rally around, I think it's too much pressure on anyone. But I do suggest that some of us try and get together to form a bloc. As Steven H has said, there are plenty of people with ideas, although sadly it may be a lack of energy or ability to commit that are holding folk back.

We know that the Club will not do business with the Trust as it is now and that it needs to reform. It needs to be more inclusive than just the NW bus. We also know that splitting into two organisations will dilute our influence and will leave the Shareholder votes in the hands of an unaccountable Trust. We need to make a last push to make the Trust work. If it fails them I concede that the Trust is dead and it is all of our faults.

I have quite a few names now for an EGM / Vote of no confidence, but we need more so please PM if you want to add your name to the list. We need 40+ names to force an EGM. I would hope that it doesn't come to that, and that the remaining Board members call another election and announce their intention to stand down as surely they must realise they have failed to take the Trust forward. No-one will come forward to work with them with their track record now. If no-one comes else does comes forward, then we let the Trust die, bury it, say a few kind words about it over a drink or two and then move on.

Partick Thistle deserves better than this.

• Members
If no-one comes else does comes forward, then we let the Trust die, bury it, say a few kind words about it over a drink or two and then move on.

Can't agree with this. There's the small matter of 1,000,000 plus shares needs to be considered. A small PTSA committee needs to be formed to look after these shares until such times as something meaningful can be done with them.

At the end of the day all this talk about different organisations is utterly beside the point. The only point worth discussing is if people are willing to get off their arses and contribute. If there is not, then we're just going to continue on the same old cycle that we've been going through.

There's nothing in the rules that would stop any of the suggestions that have been made happening within the present organisation. All that's needed is the collective will to make something happen. And that gets back to my previous point - that's all to do with people getting involved and nothing to do with the organisation.

If there are people with that will then it is actually relatively easy to take forward (and this is where the pep talk on IPS's might come in, alx). The question (and past experience suggests it is a huge one) is whether there are people will to do that. If there's not, then the debate about alternative organisations v the existing one is entirely academic. (And for what it's worth, my view is that there is little point in setting up an alternative organisation to do what the existing one could do already.)

It's also worth noting that the formal name of the organisation is The Partick Thistle Supporters Association Ltd. The name JagsTrust is used as a trading name but without any specific legal foundation. (It's not possible to register with a name like JagsTrust so this was retained for continuity purpose only when it was converted to an IPS)

I know all this Allan, that's what I was getting at in a round about way. I just don't see a 'rip it up and start again' scenario being the best way forward but it may be the only way forward in the eyes of many. The shares held by the JT would need to be returned to the Club tho if the organisation was wound up, wouldn't they?

• Members

The shares held by the JT would need to be returned to the Club tho if the organisation was wound up, wouldn't they?

The trust still has a part to play in my view. It's still responsible for these shares and also the shares that the Centenary Fund generates along with the free Hospitality places. It would be totally pointless to wind it up and sacrifice all this just because folk don't like some committee members!

Tine to think of something different. Leave the Trust to look after the shares and hospitality places and nothing else. Form a new group to help the Club with a focus on finance is what I'd propose.

Tine to think of something different. Leave the Trust to look after the shares and hospitality places and nothing else. Form a new group to help the Club with a focus on finance is what I'd propose.

If that's all the Trust do from now on, then I think Section 95 of the constitution is very likely to be invoked. "Performance Audit". Any organisation that holds a million shares and claims the right to a seat on the board should be properly scrutinised by members and non-members alike.

As an aside, of all the many resignations we've seen, Martin seems like the person who least owes an apology to anyone for his efforts.

Just out of interest, can each of the guys who resigned tell us whether they have been, or expect to be, offered a seat on the Board of Partick Thistle in the forseeable future?

No. Nor would I expect it or want it.

As an aside, of all the many resignations we've seen, Martin seems like the person who least owes an apology to anyone for his efforts.

Couldn't agree more.

I wonder what they're putting in your tea, Dunfy Jag?!

There really is nothing more to this than meets the eye. Everyone on the Trust Board stood forward because they wanted to do their bit to help the football club.

A few of us have been frustrated with just how difficult it is to channel that support through the Trust vehicle and Tom and I decided to stand down and look for something more productive to do. We volunteered our time to help with the 50/50 as a simple and measurable way to help the club, and the BoD agreed. Nothing more or less than that, I'm afraid.

I wasn't really expecting a "Yes" from any of you - just hoping!

We now seem to be in a situation where the Club say they want fan representation, but not, at least at the moment, from the Trust and have no reasonable alternative in mind; the Trust, at least for the time being, is a busted flush and the club is going through significant restructuring with no fans' representation at all!

We now seem to be in a situation where the Club say they want fan representation, but not, at least at the moment, from the Trust and have no reasonable alternative in mind; the Trust, at least for the time being, is a busted flush and the club is going through significant restructuring with no fans' representation at all!

I think it's difficult to represent the supporters at large unless you are also accountable to them. If any one of us was looking to step into that role (and we are not), then as individuals, I'm not sure that we could do more than represent our own views, which may or may not be in tune with those who sit around us every other Saturday. The supporters deserve a properly functioning supporters' association. I'm disappointed that I could not be part of the team that delivered that, but folk should look to their own conscience and decide what they want from a supporters' association (if they want one at all), and step forward and make it, whether from within the four corners of the Trust or not.

For me, the existentialist debate about what the Trust should be and how it should operate is a distraction. I take the simplistic view that the Trust should just be a group of like minded fans, meeting regularly for fun and engaging social events while providing a platform for them to deliver unconditional support for their football club. The other elements (shares, fan representation on the board, fan ownership or fan involvement in running the club etc) are all sideshows at at the moment. Some are important in their own right, but over the years, they have drawn far too much attention, at the expense of allowing the Trust to properly function as a supporters' association. Sadly, I don't think that changed much during my involvement. Perhaps as supporters, we were given the opportunity to run before we could walk, and we never did put the time in to learn how to walk properly in the first place.

Like Tom, my biggest regret is having let down those people who put their faith in what we were doing and joined the Trust over the last few months. While we may have made some progress to improve the Trust's image externally, I'm not sure that much headway was being made behind the scenes to improve its ability to deliver. That was the main crux of my decision to resign and try to get involved to help the club more directly.

oops - so good I managed to post it twice!

I think it's difficult to represent the supporters at large unless you are also accountable to them. If any one of us was looking to step into that role (and we are not), then as individuals, I'm not sure that we could do more than represent our own views, which may or may not be in tune with those who sit around us every other Saturday. The supporters deserve a properly functioning supporters' association. I'm disappointed that I could not be part of the team that delivered that, but folk should look to their own conscience and decide what they want from a supporters' association (if they want one at all), and step forward and make it, whether from within the four corners of the Trust or not.

For me, the existentialist debate about what the Trust should be and how it should operate is a distraction. I take the simplistic view that the Trust should just be a group of like minded fans, meeting regularly for fun and engaging social events while providing a platform for them to deliver unconditional support for their football club. The other elements (shares, fan representation on the board, fan ownership or fan involvement in running the club etc) are all sideshows at at the moment. Some are important in their own right, but over the years, they have drawn far too much attention, at the expense of allowing the Trust to properly function as a supporters' association. Sadly, I don't think that changed much during my involvement. Perhaps as supporters, we were given the opportunity to run before we could walk, and we never did put the time in to learn how to walk properly in the first place.

Like Tom, my biggest regret is having let down those people who put their faith in what we were doing and joined the Trust over the last few months. While we may have made some progress to improve the Trust's image externally, I'm not sure that much headway was being made behind the scenes to improve its ability to deliver. That was the main crux of my decision to resign and try to get involved to help the club more directly.

Edited by stolenscone