Mccall

Santana

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finishing a game we could really have done with winning with no strikers - brilliant!

10 minutes to go and a draw with Morton was a hell of a lot better outcome than losing - losing would have been a disaster - so putting on Rowson wasn't the worst decision McCall could have come up with. And as for complaining about the lack of strikers, who exactly was McCall supposed to play? Doolan was injured and Grehan and Buchanan had given their all, so Donnelly plus one other was the only alternative. Some of the criticism on here of McCall is outrageous - calling him 'retarded'? really? Time to get a grip. We're not going to win every game. Get used to it.

10 minutes to go and a draw with Morton was a hell of a lot better outcome than losing - losing would have been a disaster - so putting on Rowson wasn't the worst decision McCall could have come up with. And as for complaining about the lack of strikers, who exactly was McCall supposed to play? Doolan was injured and Grehan and Buchanan had given their all, so Donnelly plus one other was the only alternative. Some of the criticism on here of McCall is outrageous - calling him 'retarded'? really? Time to get a grip. We're not going to win every game. Get used to it.

Spot on.

i'm not a MCCall fan, but he cant be blamed for todays show.

Injuries, player playing whilst unfit, we were set out well, that is his job and today he done it well.

With regards to the subs he made, difficult. Liam after first 15 mins was missing, Grehan played well by his standards, but nowhere near good enough. Only option he had to be honest.

Thought Archie, Jackie and Big Willie were great today.

Cairney can leave anytime, worse touch than jack the ripper.

The 2 full backs didnt have their best games, and that is where we fall down, our attacks come through them.

Flannigan was decent.

Hodge ok.

To call him retarded is just wrong.

Edited by Gordie

I actually thought Cairney looked well off the pace? Is his fitness as good as it could / should be?

Cairney was the worst player on the park by some distance. Even when Erskine came on, he was still the worst player out there and that took some doing!

I don't know if he has 'lifestyle issues' but he's put on weight and went backwards as a footballer. He's half the footballer he was last season.

Can I ask something, why every week does mccall make a deal of saying such n such are in the squad for tomorrow, yet they never get near it? Today we could of had Lochead instead of Maxy, Fraser instead of Sid at least Fraser is a striker, as for all Sids done well in that position for us, he isn't a striker with the instinct for goal. Iv never seen Fraser play but surely he would of made more of an impact than playing Erskine up front or just off Sid or where ever the hell he was playing!!

Can I ask something, why every week does mccall make a deal of saying such n such are in the squad for tomorrow, yet they never get near it? Today we could of had Lochead instead of Maxy, Fraser instead of Sid at least Fraser is a striker, as for all Sids done well in that position for us, he isn't a striker with the instinct for goal. Iv never seen Fraser play but surely he would of made more of an impact than playing Erskine up front or just off Sid or where ever the hell he was playing!!

Very well put! Today, with a few injuries, was an ideal opportunities to give Campbell (for Cairney) and Fraser (for Doolan) a chance. Surely Rowson should have been picked ahead of McNamara in midfield.

Nice to see McCall make yet another mention of the support in his after match reaction, if he can't blame his players or luck then the fans must be to blame for not giving as much backing as they should.

If injuries are such a problem then why aren't we putting some of the much lauded youngster on the bench? Paying for a youth setup seems utterly pointless if we aren't going to give them a chance. Some might say it's not the time to be throwing these players in but it's certainly a better answer than throwing on Rowson when he looked so unfit he looked like he barely knew how to control a football.

Nice to see McCall make yet another mention of the support in his after match reaction, if he can't blame his players or luck then the fans must be to blame for not giving as much backing as they should.

If injuries are such a problem then why aren't we putting some of the much lauded youngster on the bench? Paying for a youth setup seems utterly pointless if we aren't going to give them a chance. Some might say it's not the time to be throwing these players in but it's certainly a better answer than throwing on Rowson when he looked so unfit he looked like he barely knew how to control a football.

This is NOT the time to blood youngsters who haven't been in the first team before. We're struggling at the bottom of the table and the last thing these young guys need is to face the wrath of the Firhill crowd when they make the inevitable mistakes all young players make. And McCall's right - what the hell was the booing about at the end of the game? So, it wasn't a great match, but both sets of players gave their - limited - all. Too many folk bring their pub-tv Barcelona-watching experience along to Firhill these days. This is Scottish First Division football. Booing the players a the end of the game isn't going to make them any better.

This is NOT the time to blood youngsters who haven't been in the first team before. We're struggling at the bottom of the table and the last thing these young guys need is to face the wrath of the Firhill crowd when they make the inevitable mistakes all young players make. And McCall's right - what the hell was the booing about at the end of the game? So, it wasn't a great match, but both sets of players gave their - limited - all. Too many folk bring their pub-tv Barcelona-watching experience along to Firhill these days. This is Scottish First Division football. Booing the players a the end of the game isn't going to make them any better.

I understand your point but there is very little competition for places if the youngsters are not even worth a place on the bench.

Why not? Rowson clearly wasn't fit yet he had to come on to be a complete liability, we don't need players like that on the bench. I think you are doing our support a disservice if you think the youngsters would "face the wrath of the Firhill crowd", we were more than supportive of the likes of Burns last season even though he missed a fair few chances. I don't remember anyone being too critical of MacBeth or McGeough either when they've got their chance to show what they can do. It also hardly gives the likes of Cairney any incentive to get into better shape when they know that regardless of what condition they are in that McCall will not drop them.

People paid £17 to watch the team seemingly play for a point for the last quarter of the game, if they want to boo then they are more than entitled to as it was a poor performance. The management and players should be grown up enough to accept criticism, McCall is happy enough to dish out criticism to the support this season so he can expect it back without complaint.

You say this is NOT the time to blood the youngsters? Well I for one am sick of watching the same group of players from last season struggle this season again. We need something new, and with no money to spend on bringing new players in, what are we left with? Our youngsters yes.

And to Kni, Jaggy Mc wasn't in midfield, if you were there today you would of known this, Jaggy Mc played sweeper. Rowser came on and was off the pace, understandable considering.

You say this is NOT the time to blood the youngsters? Well I for one am sick of watching the same group of players from last season struggle this season again. We need something new, and with no money to spend on bringing new players in, what are we left with? Our youngsters yes.

And to Kni, Jaggy Mc wasn't in midfield, if you were there today you would of known this, Jaggy Mc played sweeper. Rowser came on and was off the pace, understandable considering.

I think people are seriously kidding themselves on if they think bringing on a group of 17-19 year olds is going to improve the team's performance. These young guys should be getting game time when we're ahead in matches, not when we're fighting for our lives. I understand peoples' frustration that we're not doing better, but assuming ANY kind of change is going to improve things is just daft. We're not that bad. I keep reading on here that we're sh*te, but we're no worse than Morton, or Ross County or Falkirk or most of the rest of them. I don't get what it is people are expecting - we don't have any money, every message coming out of the club, and not just from McCall, is making that crystal clear; we've a very limited squad with players who might not have got a place in a Thistle team in the past but we're playing them now because we can't afford to hire any better. Given things are the way they are, we're doing remarkably well. And I do agree with Beattie that we'll finish in the top half of the league by the end of the season. Be happy...

Don't you see our point though? Your right in a way, today we were no better than Morton, but in the past year, every team you mentioned has beaten us, so technically that would mean they are/were better than us at points. We are dire, really awful in fact, No-one is saying that 17-18 youngsters WILL make the difference but I'm sick of seeing Sid coming off the bench to hold the ball up when realistically we need players who will attack. End of the day if the youngsters are as good as McCall makes out surely then he should think something needs to change and give a few a go, not from the start just yet but a few games off the bench. Your way of doing it would mean that they only play when we are ahead in games, I can't remember too many times like that recently but when Bannigan was playing he never looked out of his depth and I suspect that about quite a few of them aswell.

Last night I watched the 'highlights' of the previous Morton game at Cappielow and jeezo that was ROTTEN - worst game of the season, no danger. Today might have been worse, but at least we came out of it with a point, and if we'd taken our chances we would have won. Morton didn't have a decent chance of note during the whole game.

Having said that, Cairney, Hodge and Buchanan seemed to be having a competition as to who could have the least effect on the result of a football match...