Mccall

Santana

Can I ask something, why every week does mccall make a deal of saying such n such are in the squad for tomorrow, yet they never get near it? Today we could of had Lochead instead of Maxy, Fraser instead of Sid at least Fraser is a striker, as for all Sids done well in that position for us, he isn't a striker with the instinct for goal. Iv never seen Fraser play but surely he would of made more of an impact than playing Erskine up front or just off Sid or where ever the hell he was playing!!

I'm guessing here but i think what McCall does is include these youngsters in his initial squad. Gets the young lads around the first team squad on a match day. More often than not they don't make the final 16 but they are gaining experience just by being part of the set up.

I'm sure they'll time will come. we've seen McBeth, bannigan, burns, McGeogh at some point or another so far this season.I'm sure as they develope we'll see more of them (injury has curtailed McBeth's progress).

Just my opinion, but think some are being bit too hasty in wanting them into the team. We've been advised the youngsters will be protected. If that means not throwing them into first team just now and they become better players for it...i can live with that.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think Cairney had the biggest contribution out of the three, pity it was nearly all bad, he has the first touch of a virgin!!

Not making excuses for Cairney, the criticism I've read on here has by and large been accurate and deserved, but the way the team is set up requires the guy to be on top of his game. He's effectively playing alongside two non tackling midfielders and that has to make his job much harder. Might be too much for Cairney to break up play, give decent distribution and still get forward into scoring positions but I'd expect him to at least do one of these decently.

I don't think the lad has been fully fit for a year now. Probably not so noticeable when he was deployed out wide or when Rowson was playing well week in week out but all too obvious these days.

Not making excuses for Cairney, the criticism I've read on here has by and large been accurate and deserved, but the way the team is set up requires the guy to be on top of his game. He's effectively playing alongside two non tackling midfielders and that has to make his job much harder. Might be too much for Cairney to break up play, give decent distribution and still get forward into scoring positions but I'd expect him to at least do one of these decently.

I don't think the lad has been fully fit for a year now. Probably not so noticeable when he was deployed out wide or when Rowson was playing well week in week out but all too obvious these days.

Spot on. That's what's so troubling about our midfield at present. If we could bring Flannigan on like an NFL goal kicker, I'd be happier since at times his inability to provide some dig is worrying and wee Cairney is running around like a headless chicken.

People paid £17 to watch the team seemingly play for a point for the last quarter of the game, if they want to boo then they are more than entitled to as it was a poor performance. The management and players should be grown up enough to accept criticism, McCall is happy enough to dish out criticism to the support this season so he can expect it back without complaint.

People were booing the team at HALF TIME as well!

Okay, let's be honest, Morton were pretty pish today, barely managed an attack and we should have beaten them by two at least. For whatever reason we are just not putting the ball in the net - we had a couple of nice moves which ended with us getting the ball into the box with no end product. It's a pretty sad situation that we are in a position where we really need to hope that an injury prone midfielder (Hardie) can get fit and that we can afford to have him back on loan.

No team tried to run the time down - there was no time wasting and the game was pretty end to end until the final whistle. This makes it sound more entertaining that it actually was but its true none the less.

Hodge and Flannigan played pretty well today and would get pass marks from me along with Archie, Willie and McNamara. Cairney and Grehan gave the ball away far too much, the rest tried but didn't really manage to make any impact on the game.

I'm not that concerned about our league position ... yet. We cannot allow ourselves to be cast adrift at the bottom - we are already 7pts from 5th and no matter how compact the rest of the teams are, we got to start climbing the league soon.

Some sections of the support are happy enough to dish out criticism to the management and players this season so they can expect it back without complaint.

Edited by MerryHell

an awful awful game of football. One of the worst I've seen in a long while.

The shape of the team in the last 15 minutes of the game was embarrasing. They were all over the place. no sense of positioning.

For a home game, the performance by the team as a whole was embarrassing and unacceptable.

Another thing. McCall can **** off in his post match comment about the the crowd not getting behind the team.

"They are out their giving their all for Partick Thistle. We have a great support but at times I just wish they would really get behind us and give the players the support that they deserve."

After a performance like that, no wonder there's no atmosphere at Firhill. I can't be bothered posting the quote about him mentioning the wages some of players are on.

Utterly cringworthy excuses.

Folk, on both set of supporters were robbed of good money today after that awful spectacle.

After a performance like that, no wonder there's no atmosphere at Firhill. I can't be bothered posting the quote about him mentioning the wages some of players are on.

But, but, Ian never moans about the club's financial position...

Sanatised sh*t in the press + patronising sh*t in the programme + sh*t lining the pitch. Vintage week. Bottle it and sell it to those aiming for a comedown.

Saying now is the wrong time to play youngsters is wrong, plenty other teams do it & are no worse off. I'm not saying that we stick 4 of them in the first 11, play 1, 1 on the bench. McCall said he was gong to do this after Bannigan was given his chance 'another young player will get their chance now in the next few weeks, & we'll rotate again after that', well that's turned out to be crap.

After Bannigan's month is up, get him in the team. McGeough is also ready for some games, I heard he was supposed to start today, but got an injury in the last few days.

I'm not so sure abour Fraser, also don't think Lochhead would be out of place coming off the bench. The young guys will give everything, yes they'll make mistakes, but so are the experienced players. The team that was out today, the amount of times there was a boucning ball & about 3 players just watched it & stood back, get feckin in there! Dig & committment will make up for lack of quality in most of the games, it will also get the fans up on their feet & supporting the team. Hard but fair.

Can I ask something, why every week does mccall make a deal of saying such n such are in the squad for tomorrow, yet they never get near it? Today we could of had Lochead instead of Maxy, Fraser instead of Sid at least Fraser is a striker, as for all Sids done well in that position for us, he isn't a striker with the instinct for goal. Iv never seen Fraser play but surely he would of made more of an impact than playing Erskine up front or just off Sid or where ever the hell he was playing!!

Shaun Fraser...the name rang a bell...just looked at his picture on the official site. He was a few years below me at school. I can tell you right now that he should be nowhere near the Thistle first team.

when i posted earlier in this thread, i didnt know that McCall had made for the 2nd time this year, remarks about our support being bad. :(

The guy really is a pr disaster, the board are trying to get bums on seats, this guy is slagging the ones that are there already.

Still doesnt change the fact he set his team out to play in a certain way and they did the job to an extent.

If you want excited fans, give them an exciting team.

Shaun Fraser...the name rang a bell...just looked at his picture on the official site. He was a few years below me at school. I can tell you right now that he should be nowhere near the Thistle first team.

why, beacsue he was not good enough at 14, or is he a junkie, or girlfriend beater? tell us why he shouldnt be given a chance.

You say this is NOT the time to blood the youngsters? Well I for one am sick of watching the same group of players from last season struggle this season again. We need something new, and with no money to spend on bringing new players in, what are we left with? Our youngsters yes.

And to Kni, Jaggy Mc wasn't in midfield, if you were there today you would of known this, Jaggy Mc played sweeper. Rowser came on and was off the pace, understandable considering.

If you are willing to pay my air fares, I will happily attend every week. 5-3-2 is negative at home against mediocre opposition like Morton. Do you honestly expect Flannigan, Hodge and Cairney to dominate midfield?

Edited by kni

Completely uncalled for and I hope you will reflect on your comments and realise that they are not acceptable.

I feel they are acceptable, sorry.

Just an idea but how about you get the use of the family brain cell BEFORE you post !!!!

That makes no sense. Should you not be moaning at people shouting at the football or something?

All this 'McCall was bang out of order for criticising the fans' bullsh!t is startin to get on ma tits...no he wasn't bang out of order he was feckin bang on!!!! On a few occassions (far more than many home games this season) there were attempts to get some singing going (helped no end by some familiar faces returning to the Shed)...at most 30 people joined in before it died a painful death. The fans job on matchday is to support and encourage the team, the players job is to try their best for Partick Thistle....one group failed to do their job today. It was a shocking game, but I am struggling to find fault with the effort put in by the players, it's easy to find fault with the effort of us as fans.

If McCall and the players take the flak on the chin then so should the fans, but everytime someone bites back certain fans start crying foul...if you dish it out at least be big enough to take it when it's deserved, it was deserved today imo. Firhill lacks atmosphere? Well there's only one group of people who can change that, here's hoping those who were back in the shed today keeping coming back and keep trying to generate some sort of atmosphere.

It would help tho if the 'singing section' :puke: was moved to the other end of the JHS.

I'd love to know the logic behind this post. Got me completely baffled. Shaun's only 17 years old.

Not totally convinced Fraser's ready for the 1st team but from what I've seen of the lad lately he's not far off it.

All this 'McCall was bang out of order for criticising the fans' bullsh!t is startin to get on ma tits...no he wasn't bang out of order he was feckin bang on!!!! On a few occassions (far more than many home games this season) there were attempts to get some singing going (helped no end by some familiar faces returning to the Shed)...at most 30 people joined in before it died a painful death. The fans job on matchday is to support and encourage the team, the players job is to try their best for Partick Thistle....one group failed to do their job today. It was a shocking game, but I am struggling to find fault with the effort put in by the players, it's easy to find fault with the effort of us as fans.

If McCall and the players take the flak on the chin then so should the fans, but everytime someone bites back certain fans start crying foul...if you dish it out at least be big enough to take it when it's deserved, it was deserved today imo. Firhill lacks atmosphere? Well there's only one group of people who can change that, here's hoping those who were back in the shed today keeping coming back and keep trying to generate some sort of atmosphere.

It would help tho if the 'singing section' :puke: was moved to the other end of the JHS.

That must be a wind up right, cos surely that cannot be an honest assessment of today's game?

I'd love to know the logic behind this post. Got me completely baffled. Shaun's only 17 years old.

Not totally convinced Fraser's ready for the 1st team but from what I've seen of the lad lately he's not far off it.

For the u-19s last season, he looked like a big lump, with little skill & was surprised that he was given a deal. But in the reserve games I've seen this season, he's looked alot better. What's happening with Burns? Was he a one season wonder? He doesn't seem to be getting many starts for the u-19s/reserves this season.

Effort is a different thing to performance. The performance was garbage but who do you think was lacking effort today?

Most of the players on the pitch to be quite honest. There were times in the game today when it was obvious no-one could be ar5ed so they just punted a long ball up the park. And on a few occasions when Fox had the ball and was looking to release it quickly, no-one was looking to receive it. And very few looked to be wanting to get the ball and do something worthwhile with it. How many times did we lazily give the ball away today?

I completely agree with you that there is little atmosphere at Firhill but at a time when we need as many paying customers as we can get, the last thing the manager should be doing is criticising those who do spend their hard earned money when it is he who is responsible for the fans being critical of the product on the pitch, which you will agree is ultimately his responsibility?

End of the day if the youngsters are as good as McCall makes out surely then he should think something needs to change and give a few a go, not from the start just yet but a few games off the bench. Your way of doing it would mean that they only play when we are ahead in games, I can't remember too many times like that recently but when Bannigan was playing he never looked out of his depth and I suspect that about quite a few of them aswell.

Spot On.

Most of the players on the pitch to be quite honest. There were times in the game today when it was obvious no-one could be ar5ed so they just punted a long ball up the park. And on a few occasions when Fox had the ball and was looking to release it quickly, no-one was looking to receive it. And very few looked to be wanting to get the ball and do something worthwhile with it. How many times did we lazily give the ball away today?

I completely agree with you that there is little atmosphere at Firhill but at a time when we need as many paying customers as we can get, the last thing the manager should be doing is criticising those who do spend their hard earned money when it is he who is responsible for the fans being critical of the product on the pitch, which you will agree is ultimately his responsibility?

You're first paragraph talks about performance. Yes the product on the park is his responsibility, who's responsible for the off the park stuff?

I'll tell you what I saw today...2 teams filled with similarly low rate players trying as hard as each other and ultimately serving up dross. Low rate players giving 100% effort are still low rate players!

Re the lack of effort. A couple of times Flannigan got himself surrounded by Morton players by the touchline and I'm yelling for someone to go and help him out but they all just stood there waiting for either Flannigan to get out of it himself or, as happened on both occasions, lose the ball. He just needed someone to get themselves into a bit of space so he could release the ball. Whether they couldn't be bothered, weren't physically capable or just don't have enough of a football brain I don't know.

A couple of times Flannigan got himself surrounded by Morton players by the touchline and I'm yelling for someone to go and help him out but they all just stood there waiting

There are many other frustrating tactical errors on display. How often were there three or four Thistle players, standing three or four yards apart, trying to pass the ball out of defence, to each other then losing it when more Morton players came to take it off them? On numerous occasions yesterday there were twenty outfield players standing in an area the size of the centre circle watching the ball bounce around. Then a player would look up see nobody was in a position to take a pass and either lose the ball or give it to a team mate in just as difficult a position.

One noticeable thing when Hardie was playing the past few weeks was that he would hit the ball into space and make his team mates run for it. Morton tried it a few times yesterday. Luckily for us they more often than not missed the ball and it went out for a throw in.

Were the Thistle players trying to huddle together to keep warm?

10 minutes to go and a draw with Morton was a hell of a lot better outcome than losing - losing would have been a disaster - so putting on Rowson wasn't the worst decision McCall could have come up with. And as for complaining about the lack of strikers, who exactly was McCall supposed to play? Doolan was injured and Grehan and Buchanan had given their all, so Donnelly plus one other was the only alternative. Some of the criticism on here of McCall is outrageous - calling him 'retarded'? really? Time to get a grip. We're not going to win every game. Get used to it.

Sorry. Taking them both off was crazy to me. How many balls after that ended up nowhere? It also meant we lost any prospect of scoring. First draw of the season though? Woo hoo. Well done Ian.

Edited by beep0608